• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

REEL FOUR: Wabbit and Co. (Collectibles)

Shared this in the gold LT Thread , thought it should go here too: This is an item i'm not sure 'what' it's supposed to be exactly: It's almost scarf like, but could also be a table layout piece, or a banner intended to hang on a wall. It measures 16x20 app and features LT gang in their early glory. Lots of fraying and moth holes, but still overall nice for it's age.

Interesting to note: Porky, Petunia, Elmer and Sniffle are depicted LARGER than Bugs and Daffy on the piece indicating very early LT merchadising item. Also, the branding 'Looney Tunes' is absent from the item. Only it's sister cartoon house/series is branded 'Merrie Melodies'.

IMG_3013_zpsjwmowe3i.jpg

REEL NINETEEN: Ads

Much focus on comic books goes on the covers and interior art and story pages (obviously). But much like the Super Bowl commercials, sometimes those advertisements between the stories deserve a second look. Especially some of the more eyebrow raising ones from the 50's. A lot of these today would be banned as body shaming and or another vernacular for politically incorrectness in today's world.

Like this one: It features two women on either side of a man. Both blind folded, one 'ample chested' the other, not so much. It asks the question: 'Do men choose Mary or Alice'? :whatthe: Now while i admit this is 'disturbing', in all 'fairness', i remember ads like this in the comics i came into the hobby reading as a kid in the late 70's. Only those featured a 'skinny' guy being bullied by a muscled bound man while on a day at the beach , emasculating him in front of a lady friend. The skinny guy 'realizes' his body is 'inferior' so he bulks up and has a rematch with muscle guy, but this time winning the fight and the girl. These used to make me self conscious about my then skinny frame i'll admit, but never to the point of low self esteem. They are comical when i read them today.

IMG_3064_zpsswnxhx5e.jpg

This next one predates the 'wonder bra' of today. This one was featured in a romance comic. Don't recall seeing one in any golden age hero, crime or horror comic i own.

IMG_3082_zpsb2eghhsc.jpg

And lastly, wonder if this gizmo from a back cover ad would be popular on HSN in today's market hm

img003_zpsqzkfr4ui.jpg

23 minutes ago, Sagii said:

REEL NINETEEN: Ads

Much focus on comic books goes on the covers and interior art and story pages (obviously). But much like the Super Bowl commercials, sometimes those advertisements between the stories deserve a second look. Especially some of the more eyebrow raising ones from the 50's. A lot of these today would be banned as body shaming and or another vernacular for politically incorrectness in today's world.

Like this one: It features two women on either side of a man. Both blind folded, one 'ample chested' the other, not so much. It asks the question: 'Do men choose Mary or Alice'? :whatthe: Now while i admit this is 'disturbing', in all 'fairness', i remember ads like this in the comics i came into the hobby reading as a kid in the late 70's. Only those featured a 'skinny' guy being bullied by a muscled bound man while on a day at the beach , emasculating him in front of a lady friend. The skinny guy 'realizes' his body is 'inferior' so he bulks up and has a rematch with muscle guy, but this time winning the fight and the girl. These used to make me self conscious about my then skinny frame i'll admit, but never to the point of low self esteem. They are comical when i read them today.

IMG_3064_zpsswnxhx5e.jpg

:o I'm shocked by that. "Both" wasn't even an option. :D

REEL TWENTY: KING KONG, Eighth Wonder of the World (pt. 1 of 4)

I love classic giant monster movies. As noted earlier on page two of this thread (page 2), Godzilla is my favorite of the genre. But i also have love for Kong, eighth wonder of the world. Godzilla is cooler yes, but Kong broke the ground for which the genre was founded so he gets his props. And with a new feature 'Kong of Skull Island' bowing next week :banana: (i'm there!) i felt now would be a great time to show this reel.

My brother and I came to know and love  Kong and Godzilla growing up watching the old reruns introduced to us by our Dad who was is more of a 'Kong' fan. Of note, a local NYC station used to have marathons on Thanksgiving (Kong) and the following Friday (Godzilla), which we would look forward to annually (this was before VCR/VHS day). Kong didn't/doesn't have as many films as Godzilla (and three of them are essentially the 'same' story) each of those have a scene/sequence that is better than the other. Plus the two stand alones of note i choose are great entertainment in their own right. I did not include 'Son of Kong' '33 the sequel to the '33 original(because i did not like it and anyway, Kong does not appear in the movie because as everyone knows - don't respond to me about spoilers :Dhe's killed at the end). I also did not include the sequel to the '76 remake 'King Kong Lives '76 (did not like that one either).  My favorite monster melee, 'King Kong vs Godzilla' was reviewed in the Godzilla Reel. so i'll omit that here also. So, the pros and cons of the self titled flicks and the the stand alone:

King Kong (1933)

The 'granddaddy' and still considered one of the seminal films of any genre ever made is a twist on the Beauty and the Beast story. A crew travels to mysterious 'Skull Island', rumored to inhabit incredible creatures. There they discover a giant ape known as Kong. Kong becomes 'enamored' with the sole woman in the crew (played by Fay Wray)after she is abducted by the natives meant as a sacrifice for the beast who they seem to worship.  And after a battle to ward of a T Rex who wants to eat Wray's character , killings of crew members, and an incredible sequence when Kong breaks down a wall built by the natives intended to keep him out,  Kong is captured and taken from his native habitat and forced to be a spectacle in a stage show in New York City. All hell breaks loose, when Kong breaks loose and the monster recaptures his lady love and in what is one of the truly iconic moments in pop culture, climbs atop the Empire State Building where he meets his fate after dueling with fighter planes. 

For special effects of the time, and the epic scope of wonder, the '33 version will always be the best in that regard. Though i feel the two remakes did a sequence or two better (and not from a special effects vantage). The scene that could not be topped in those: When Kong first appears, -cracking of the trees so we get the 'picture' that this creature is huge, then the close up with that 'smile like' expression upon seeing Wray. Just amazing. Miss Wray's 'melodramatic screaming can be comical. I love films of all genres and eras, and i know getting a lot people under 30(even those who consider themselves film buffs)to watch/sit through old black and white movies is tough(pacing, lack of profanity, nudity, explosions :D ). But for those reading this who have never seen it, it's worth the look. Believe me. 

The edition i own came in a collectors tin (this was when the film was released to DVD for the first time)which included mini versions of the film posters for the film, and a miniature version of the playbill that was issued when it bowed at 'Grauman's Chinese Theatre'. The back features the most iconic of the film posters for the classic.IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.4ee1b4589c8770c4485218e23bf0586f.JPGIMG_3168.thumb.JPG.6f05e5a8684af7cd0f82ba8fbf810fc5.JPG

58b9bfe0cef26_FullSizeRender(5).thumb.jpg.d19e595d9b82b175415ee1ffd9540386.jpg

Another great post Corey. You had me at profanity, nudity and explosions. :grin: 

Have you ever seen the amazing 1933 King Kong poster in the Metro office in NYC? The poster is huge, and in beautiful shape. I've never seen a piece of ephemera I wanted more... If you're in town, make an appointment and go take a look.

xD Hey Andrew. I live in NYC and work not too far from them, and have visited both Metro show rooms many times and have marveled at the movie posters that hang around there. As a matter of fact I usually pick up my CC auction winnings in house. I want to attend the Jon Berk galley opening next week as I'll be at the convention,  but have an engagement that evening confirmed long before that was announced.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get out of it. 

Interesting you should point out the poster for the film mentioned in pt. 1 of this post: I have a story concerning Kong '76 and Metro in post 2 tomorrow.  Thanks for reading buddy! 

KING KONG, Eighth Wonder of the World (pt. 2 of 4)

King Kong (1976)

This film was a BIG deal (no pun intended) when it was coming out. I was eight years old and my brother and i were mesmerized everytime the trailer played on TV. "Mom, please can we go the movies?" It was big budget and i remember reading somewhere since 'Jaws' had just ate up the box office (no pun ..)the summer before, folks must be clamoring for animals on the attack was the thought in Hollywood. So i guess they felt, let's revive the most famous animal of cinema? I think looking back, though it bombed critically, it did 'decent' business considering it's budget. I know many a film goer from that generation who consider this one superior to original ( believe it or not)

This version is notable for two reasons: It was the film debut of Jessica Lange, who is now a modern legend (Jeff Bridges also starred). And Kong, who immortalized the Empire State Building in the original, now gave cinematic immortality to the World Trade Centers 'Twin Towers', which he climbed at the climax of this version. (We will never forget 911) . 

I said in the previous post each version had a sequence done better than the other two imho. This one gets the nod for the chase of Lange and Bridges characters by Kong after the latter rescues the former while Kong is distracted fighting a giant snake that wants to eat Lange(they are SO tiny, can't get why all these giant animals risked dueling Kong for a human skittle :D ) to the Kong breaking the wall scene. Kong was played by a man in a suit (legendary make up man Rick Baker) to good effect i feel. He walked 'upright' so he was more monster than just giant ape. The sense of dread as Kong pounded on the wall weakening it with each blow, roaring louder and louder was a scary thing for kids watching in the theater (all seemed to move a little closer to their parent)lol.

Also, the climatic scene was more realistic because there was blood, and lots of it as the Helicopters ( in this one) fired a hale of bullets to take down Kong. Even the version after this one omitted blood. I will also say, this one had the more menacing Kong of all three. ******To piggy back off of my Boardie friend Andrew: Some years ago i was sitting in Metro's old showroom waiting to inspect some books in person before buying them. As i'm waiting for them to come out i notice some art work leaned against the wall. It took a moment to take in what i was looking at. There was the original painting for the King Kong 76 film, with Kong foot atop each Tower, girl in one hand, crumbling (rocket?) in the other! -Empire State Building homage in the background. I was eight years old again and too numb to even ask 'How Much"?. I keep telling myself, Corey, you couldn't afford it anyway. :tonofbricks:

IMG_3171.thumb.JPG.50743e7ba64c76a54c5cf5ea79a6aea9.JPG

Edited by Sagii
typo

KING KONG, Eighth Wonder of the World (pt 3 of 4)

King Kong (2005)

Directed by Peter Jackson, this outing was more tribute to the '33 original than the '76 version; Jackson has stated the '33 King Kong is his favorite film.

Starring Naomi Watts as the apple of Kong's eye this time, the movie is also set in 1933. Jackson, no stranger to long running epic movies didn't hold back here. The film clocks in at just over 3 hours. There is a directors cut available with an extra 12 minutes of footage. Some of this footage is a sequence of spider/crab like creatures attacking the exploration crew on Skull Island. There is legendary 'lost footage' of such a scene cut from the original '33 version. Jackson being the fan he is has said he will be looking for possible surviving prints, hoping to one day find it and restore it into the original. I think it was cut due to censors. Going from a -script, he 'recreated' as best he could the sequence for his version.

On it's face, this one has the other two beat for the obvious. Leaps and bounds in FX over the other two, but some scenes do come off very CGI-ish, almost video game like and can be jarring. That aside, Jackson stretched out what could have been a two hour movie tops, into a grand spectacle: The build up to 'Kong' is perfect, and his female lead is 'fleshed out' as a character more than Wray's and Langes's in the previous films. His recreation of 1933 NYC is amazing. 

The film almost seems to want to make you forget the 76 version as all aspects are homages to the '33 original except for one. A point i forgot to mention in the second post: Unlike Wray's character who reviled and feared Kong's infatuation, Lange's character in the '76 version develops a bond with the giant ape. Watt's character also has this motivation, seeing him as a misunderstood beast who is only 'protecting' her. 

So, what scene in this one did i think bested the other two? The battle in the jungle to protect his 'lady' from hungry beasts. In the '33, it was a T Rex. In the '76 a giant snake. In this one, TWO T -Rexes. One of the best monster mash ups ever put on film.  The directors cut recently got blu ray re release this year (obviously taking advantage of KSI). If you have a long slow Sunday afternoon......

IMG_3173.thumb.JPG.a5311a487156493b6628305e82a217e2.JPG

KING KONG, Eighth Wonder of the World (pt. 4 of 4)

King Kong Escapes (1967)

This film i saved for last even though it was released between the original Kong and the '76 remake. It was produced by the Japanese studio 'Toho' as a follow up to 'King Kong vs. Godzilla' (1962). The film is an action adventure sci-fi piece, with Kong facing off against a giant mechanical version of himself (a story concept Toho would later use with Godzilla also). The robot Kong was 'built' by evil  mad man 'Dr. Who' (portrayed by Japanese actor Hideyo Amamoto) to dig underground for a valuable radioactive element. When Dr. Who gets the idea the real thing could do the job a heck of alot better, he apprehends Kong, and under a brainwashing technique, gets the giant ape to do his bidding. This does not last long and Kong eventually 'Escapes' (hence the title) and a chase and battle royal ensues between animal and machine that ranks  5th on my all time list of giant monster movie battles. Along the way there's a T rex (isn't there always?) and a very plastic looking giant sea serpent.  The film is dubbed. The Kong (Kong is portrayed by a man in a suit much like most Japanese giant monster movie characters of the time)sometimes has the zipper visible in the back of the suit in some shots, and when Kong gets wet in the sea serpent battle, it's obvious the suit head is a pull over mask. 

Kong has a love interest in this one too played by model Linda Miller. Kong also understands commands like "Put me down, Kong"! and "Stop the ship Kong"! Also of note, Kong has a 'friend of humanity' portrayal in this one (the films Kong is loosely based on the short lived Saturday morning 'King Kong Show' cartoon of the time). This all may sound ridiculous and unwatchable from the uninitiated, but believe me, it's really goofy fun.

This one, much like Friday's coming brand new Kong movie isn't a remake of the '33, but a stand alone adventure outing. A lot is riding on it's hopeful success: The film will set up an eventual remake rematch of King Kong vs Godzilla, king of the monsters. If it comes to pass, i'll be sleeping outside the IMAX the night before to see that one.  ******I may do a spoiler free 'Kong of Skull Island' piece this weekend, if i enjoy it. IMG_3169.thumb.JPG.22f45ffe7682a695a2ca9d2f4b4cc22e.JPG

On 2/23/2017 at 10:28 PM, Sagii said:

This next one predates the 'wonder bra' of today. This one was featured in a romance comic. Don't recall seeing one in any golden age hero, crime or horror comic i own.

IMG_3082_zpsb2eghhsc.jpg

On 3/3/2017 at 2:49 PM, Sagii said:

Eighth Wonder of the World (pt. 1 of 4)

I agree! Jugs like those would indeed be the eighth wonder of the world.

(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I agree! Jugs like those would indeed be the eighth wonder of the world.

(thumbsu

lol 

You ain't ever lied! Thanks for reading Hep. (thumbsu

And thanks for the recommended reading Andrew. Gotta love the Rex. (thumbsu

6 hours ago, AJD said:

And, yes, a man can never have too many T-Rexs.

Truth! Sadly most of us have to settle for one of these:

Still a more than viable substitute all things considered.

;)

Outtake Reel: Kong of Skull Island (2017) 

Saw this last night. Spoiler free opinions:

1)Best screen Kong ever. Majestic, and awe inspiring. CGI artist deserve an award.

2)Doesn't take it self too serious, pure popcorn fun. 

3)Monster brawls are smackdown worthy

4)STAY through the credits!!! -Marvel worthy teaser 

REEL TWENTY: MLJ ROMANCE COMICS (PT.1 OF 3)

I love MLJ comics. The short lived 40's superhero output is primarily what I go for with them, although i do have a few Archie's too. Recently my interest has steered to their Romance line. In particular the line drawn covers of the runs. Esteemed Boardie 'Mr. Bedrock' is a fan too and recently showed some of his covers also in the Gold forum. Since not all of us frequent the same forums i'm reposting mine here. MLJ produced only two Romance titles: Darling Love (the longer running one of the two short lived titles , with 11 issues produced) and Darling Romance (7 issues produced). Of the issues 6 out of 11 were photo covers (the rest line drawn)for DL, and 6 out of 7 for DR(with the last issue being the line drawn cover there).

The comics had great covers, usually pulled from the splash page and great art and 'adult' stories inside. It's curious that the house only produced two romance titles only. My take is, the Archie lines already had the romance angle tied up, even if it was in 'cartoony humorous fashion' so they felt no need to follow all the other houses and get 'serious' with this genre. Just speculation on my part.

I'll start with 7, a personal favorite of the runs. It featured a nice Cover /splash and a story that would not see the light of day today (even with the happy ending}: "Too Fat for Love":facepalm:

Darling Love #7.jpg

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3065.JPG

Close second Is Darling Love #8 with its 'caught in the act and not giving a da*n lingerie cover'. For your reading pleasure ( forgive the iPad shadow and penny paperweight :D) I present "Cottage of Love"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Getting into romance comics is so derivative of you Corey. :baiting:

They do have a certain charm though, don't they?

lolTouché Andrew. You know when they first came on my radar, I only wanted two Romance comic series: Negro Romance and Forbidden Love. After long waits and a lot of luck, I finally completed the two runs. But by then, the genre didn't seem so bad to me. They are still a small segment of my collection but I have more now than I originally sought out to buy. 

2 2