• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

REEL SEVENTEEN: Newly acquired GRAILS (vol.2)

ZOOT COMICS #2

Zoot Comics #2 by Fox was LONG a book i coveted. Almost impossible to find (i think it's a Gerber 8), it is such a mash up of genres: Funny Animal, Crime, Bondage, Super Hero, (and yes, i will go out on a long limb and say it's the ONLY funny animal cover that also has GGA -the female cat at the center of attention is rendered in an almost 'human' like way. Only the face and ears make her a funny animal. The body form is pure GGA. The other animals on the cover could be realistic (the Chimp), cartoon (Cosmo Cat and the bear) and toy like (the bear chained to the wall in the back ground). The cover is crudley drawn (logo and all)and it only adds to it's charm.

I recently aqcuired a copy over the Summer. I had long thought there was NOTHING like it. Ever. Until one day this same Summer when Boardie Robot Man posted a copy of Timely Comics' 'Comedy Comics #18' featuring Super Rabbit. It changed everything i had thought about Zoot Comics #2. I discovered Zoot #2 ('46) was a swipe of Comedy #18 ('43).

I give you the evidence, look at the covers below:

Zoot%20Comics%202_zpsz1aqrfym.jpgc9ee1fbc-dffc-4bf2-904a-b89ee6026607_zpsnqclwebs.jpg

1)Zoot 2 features Cosmo Cat busting through a wooden boarded window. As does Super Rabbit on Comedy 18.

2)There is a gangster firing at Cosmo on Zoot 2. There's a gangster firing at Super on Comedy 18.

3)The sound effect on both covers for the gangster being punched out is 'Smack'

4)There's a blonde funny animal in bongade in the forefront on both, and a funny animal (or two) in bondage in the back ground.

5)There's also a gangster in a striped shirt on both covers. And two gangsters on both covers.

Comedy Comics has a joke newspaper headline and Zoot still has the GGA to set them apart but both are like no other funny animal comics out there even if the second is a swipe. After RM posted his copy i said i HAD to have a copy of CC#18 too.

C'Link auctioned a copy last month and i was the lucky winner. I posted it here, cropped for obvious reasons ;)

Love em' both but Fox gets the edge from me. Slightly. Though CC#18 is vying for top spot in my eye every time i look at it.....

comcomedy24_zpsb1mqesbn.jpg
Thanks for dropping in here RM, and for bringing the goodies with you :applause:

These don't surface often and though I'd casually pay attention to them when they did ( maybe the rabbit thing hm ) I now want to build a nice little subset, especially the war covers. Is there such thing as 'underappreciated' Timelys?

The tide may turn now that I'm in the game lol

And yes Jimmers,a Zoot 2 did sell recently on the boards . I caught it late or otherwise i would've

Been all over it. I'd hoard that book all day long!

Thanks for dropping in here RM, and for bringing the goodies with you :applause:

These don't surface often and though I'd casually pay attention to them when they did ( maybe the rabbit thing hm ) I now want to build a nice little subset, especially the war covers. Is there such thing as 'underappreciated' Timelys?

And yes Jimmers,a Zoot 2 did sell recently on the boards . I caught it late or otherwise i would've

I think these Timely funny animal war books are real sleepers. I have been buying them for years if they have a nice cover and are priced right. Since they slip under the radar sometimes, I've gotton most of mine pretty reasonably.

Here's one of my favorites that I obviously had to pay up a little for but just glad to have it.

comterrytoons7_zpsbbsmbi32.jpg

I think these Timely funny animal war books are real sleepers. I have been buying them for years if they have a nice cover and are priced right. Since they slip under the radar sometimes, I've gotton most of mine pretty reasonably.

Here's one of my favorites that I obviously had to pay up a little for but just glad to have it.

comterrytoons7_zpsbbsmbi32.jpg

That's a beauty RM! :applause: Given the cover subject matter i'm sure you did have to pay a premium of sorts. Yes, certainly sleepers.Could you image the price scenario: Same publisher/era/Hitler and co. cover but with Cap, Subby or the Torch?

Corey,Bob,check out this hot mess of a Canadian

July2011159.jpg

Hey Jimmers, LOVE the Ideal, but that Cosmo Cat is an interesting variant: He was a Fox property, but that 'Comedy' logo is 'Timely Comics' all the way! Thanks for posting! Rare i'm sure! :applause:

Wassup Andrew :headbang:

REEL EIGHTEEN: Modern Times

I rarely buy new comics. Last years year end DC comics release of Looney Tunes characters with DC super heroes on various covers was one of those times because i thought the cover concepts played on Looney Tunes and DC mythology and blended them in cleaver situations. This year end DC along with Dynamite Entertainment release also peaked my interest for nostalgic reasons. It pairs 70's TV Wonder Woman with TV's Bionic Woman in a story set in the times both shows were on the air. The cover i picked up (there are a few variants)has a cool likeness of actress Lynda Carter and Lindsay Wagner in their respective character roles.

These shows were WAY ahead of the Girl Power movement of today, and even as little boys who grew up digging both shows, my brother and me never felt we were watching 'Girlie shows'. Sure we had crushes on both actress but we also respected their place in pop culture as strong women figures even then. (Side note, Lee Majors as Col. Steve Austin was the MAN!).

Cool retro feel read (#1 of 6), it will probably appeal more to folks who grew up on the shows or lovers of vintage pop culture who have come to love the shows in reruns or DVD's. I've included a shot of my complete series sets of both shows. Has anyone else out there have any Jaime Sommers or Steve Austin (lunch boxes, dolls, etc?) items to share?

Wonder%20Woman%2077%20meets%20the%20Bionic%20Woman%202016_zpswlvjsuqc.jpg

FullSizeRender%207_zpsge7mp2yb.jpg

2 2