• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sagii Tapes posted by sagii68
2 2

247 posts in this topic

RECAP REEL (v.3 Sig Line)

As per request from Point Five, i'm dedicating this reel to the books in my Sig Line. I don't know about everyone else, but deciding which books to feature can be agonizing: Do you stay in theme, only certifed books, how many, so and so's sig line makes mine look like 'meh', etc) But eventually, you settle and hey it gets done. If i ever get around to submitting more books, and two time pays that are almost about done arriving, i'm going to shuffle the line. Just need to also find the right picture of Bugs to compliment them too. Decisions decisions.....

First up is this goodie from Ace periodicals featuring a Nazi Submarine war cover. I think i have most of the 'outright' war covers from Super-Mystery Comics (still need a few from Four Favorites.

Four%20Favorites%2019_zpsexynr91l.jpg

Next up is this early Harvey Grren Hornet horror cover. This book is under appreciated imho. It's got everything going for it. One of Joe Simon's best outside of his Cap covers and this one is just as good as any he did there. Wish i had more 1942 Harveys. Those books are TOUGH! Idid score another one earlier this year, one of the time pays, it'll be worth the wait to post.

Green%20Hornet%20Comics%208_zpshknouqaz.jpg

This War cover featuring the Little Wise Guys trying to hang a Japanese soldier is shocking as it is captivating. The only other War cover i think that feature children on a cover with more jarring subject matter would be Exciting Comics #39. Alas i have long wanted one but.....

Daredevil%20Comics%2017_zpsou7ir4v0.jpg

Love me some Manhunt. Great covers in the run. Perhaps the 'tame' interiors keep it from hotly contested status. Headlight Needle, little man, what more cold you ask for?Manhunt14_zps2da15d3e.jpg

This cover is all kinds of four color goodness! It's one of my top 10 (heck 5) covers of all time. Is it the only 'heart attack' cover? Must get this book graded pronto!

FourFavorites24_zps1168798c.jpg

Historical piece as well as pedigree. One of the centerpieces of my collection. Thanks for the hundredth time and a hundred time more Dr. Love. :foryou:imagejpg1_zps5ed51adf.jpg

My beloved Bugs Bunny and company on a very patriotic cover

imagejpg1_zps9235bc5d.jpg

And last but certainly not least, this early MLJ featuing Mr. Justice. The Pep Shield cover run was longer, but for the few Mr. Justice covers that were produced they hold their own. A damsel, a train, the Moon, a knife in the back, i could go on and on....Blue%20Ribbon%20Comics%2011_zpscbj8puae.jpg

That Daredevil #17 is up on my want list but it has also "come out" recently so I will have to be a little agressive to get one. Here's couple of "jaring" War covers featuring children. I love Alex Schomburg!

comfightingyank13_zpsqza3i6ib.jpg

comexciting33_zps78ll8qhh.jpg

and of course this one...

comexciting39x2_zpsljkko52m.jpg

That Daredevil #17 is up on my want list but it has also "come out" recently so I will have to be a little agressive to get one. Here's couple of "jaring" War covers featuring children. I love Alex Schomburg!

comfightingyank13_zpsqza3i6ib.jpg

comexciting33_zps78ll8qhh.jpg

and of course this one...

comexciting39x2_zpsljkko52m.jpg

Sensational examples RM! And Exciting Comics #39 (worship) and two(?) no less ?!

Great stuff, Sagii. :applause: Lots of eclectic niches there I respond to!

The Manhunt 14 is top-of-list for me these days, and I've tried for many years to own one of the Negro Romances issues.

Love the Blue Ribbon 11, Four Favorites 19 as well. Two more titles I wish I'd started on earlier, but I'm a bit too late to the party!

REEL FOURTEEN: Monuments and Idols ( v.1)

Vol. one of this Reel will focus on N.Y. monuments covers (Statue of Liberty and The Empire State Building. The first two covers are also War Bonds covers. I'm not sure how many Lady Liberty covers are out there (gold, silver or bronze), but i can think of an early Pep and a later Blue Bolt issue i like (but don't own).

First up is an issue of Boy Comics rendered by the incomparable Charles Biro. Note the villain in the corner box: (would NOT fly today). Love the early kid heroes/soldiers war covers of the golden age.

BoyComics9_zpse2d9f20a.jpg

Next is this toughie from Quality Comics featuring Uncle Sam in battle atop Lady Liberty againt Japanese Nazis ?!?!

20163003-073014_p1_zpsikjjawob.jpg

And lastly this Ace Periodicals :cloud9: Bondage cover on what looks like some bad guy turned the Empire State Building into a makeshift rocket. Gotta love golden age. Only four copies of this book have passed through CGC to date.

Four%20Favorites%207_zpsakbnjxkc.jpg

REEL THIRTEEN: Uncut and interrupted (Vol.2)

The Reel inspired by TCM showing movies in their entirety, no cuts or commercials. For my Thread, i share one entire story from an anthology title. Up tonight is a fun Fox Feature ditty. 'Wotalife Comics #3 (#1)'. This title featuring Funny animals and Humor features was originally 'Krazy Life Comics for one issue, then 'Nutty Life Comics' (a scarce Fox -Heritage has only sold one, and only one copy has been graded by CGC to date) featuring one truly beautiful if bizarre cover)for one issue, then this one, which it maintained thereafter.

Fox launched a lot of Humor/Funny animal titles in 1946, and these are some of my favorite books to chase. Titles like 'Zoot' and 'Jo-Jo', and 'All Top', eventually became 'Jungle titles'. I probably chose this story for the Rabbit-Duck dynamic :D

Iv'e also included a house ad from the time. Really cool art in this one.

Wotalife%20Comics%203%201_zpsrpgmsxrw.jpg

IMG_2299_zpse97kmsxt.jpg

IMG_2300_zpspyxmhadh.jpg

IMG_2301_zpshfrv1q9q.jpg

IMG_2302_zpsywza9pb7.jpg

IMG_2303_zpsrf6ktwls.jpg

IMG_2305_zpsyljidlze.jpg

IMG_2298_zpsz1afl1ww.jpg

Edited by Sagii

2 2