• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth it to CGC?

23 posts in this topic

My childhood collection had been sitting in a closet at my parent's house for the past 25 years. Lots of Bronze age comics. Most are in incredibly nice shape. But far more than I need at this point. So here's the question, what is the minimum price point where CGCing a comic makes sense if you want to sell it? (Assuming I paid newsstand price for the comic.)

For example, I have a number of comics with a price guide value in NM- of around $80 to $100 (like X-Factor 6, Avengers Annual 10, X-Men 141-142, etc.) that appear unread and I'm very confident that my books would grade out very well if submitted to the CGC. Is it worthwhile to submit comics at this price point to the CGC?

You can check out ebay for completed listings of what you have and make an informed decision.

I slabbed eight books for the first time at WW Philly recently. Six NM 98, PM 48, and ASM 300. I thought they were all high (9.6 and up) grade enough.

I would start with a handful, to make sure you can grade, and go from there.

I've been told by the CGC there's a minimum of 50 books with pre-screen. The benefits of pre-screen depend on how much you want to spend and what grade you're aiming for. For example, if you pre-screen at 9.6 or above and 45 of your books make the grade, it'll be quite costly in one hit.

If you decide to submit based on your own grading, I'd recommend picking a few of the best looking books for a trial run (as mentioned above).

My childhood collection had been sitting in a closet at my parent's house for the past 25 years. Lots of Bronze age comics. Most are in incredibly nice shape. But far more than I need at this point. So here's the question, what is the minimum price point where CGCing a comic makes sense if you want to sell it? (Assuming I paid newsstand price for the comic.)

For example, I have a number of comics with a price guide value in NM- of around $80 to $100 (like X-Factor 6, Avengers Annual 10, X-Men 141-142, etc.) that appear unread and I'm very confident that my books would grade out very well if submitted to the CGC. Is it worthwhile to submit comics at this price point to the CGC?

x-factor 6, x-men 141-142, yes, avengers annual 10 (unless you are darn sure it will be better than 9.2), no

I am pretty amazed the first 3 are actually getting $90-$100++++ in slabbed 9.2. i have sold a bunch raw that were definite cgc 9.2s figuring it wasn't worth the bother slabbing them at that grade (this was before those slab prices went up) as the market on coppers is usually 9.4 - 9.8, but i guess things changed

[the market on coppers is usually 9.4 - 9.8, but i guess things changed

But both X-Men 141-142 and Avengers Annual 10 are right on that early-81 cusp of late-BA/early-CA.

yes, i sold a gorgeous 142 a couple of years ago on ebay for a whopping $25 (i think guide was $80 at the time). i paid 15 cents for it (as part of a short box of books), so i'm not complaining, but i shouldn't have been in such a rush to cash in my profits on a nice sharp 30 year old comic.

Really depends on the book and what grade it actually gets. For example, NM98, raw prices are basically in step with CGC prices until you get to 9.6/9.8. And even at 9.6, I've seen really nice looking raw copies sell for slabbed 9.6 prices. This also applies to ASM 300.

Books like X Men 141, I'd slab at anything 9.4 and above.

Books like X Men 141, I'd slab at anything 9.4 and above.

--

to my shock slabbed 9.2s of 141 and 142 are getting $90-$125+ a pop, so it seems worth it to slab 9.2s as i don't know how well raw advertised 9.2s will do unless you are jscomics or someone like that

i figured the push would have deflated by now as those were incredibly popular hoarded books, but they've always been expensive relatively speaking. i remember a show in 1984 or 85 where dealers had big stacks of them but still wanted $5 a pop...whereas I was pulling nice shape 15 cent cover price spideys out of dollar boxes at the same show.

of course, in 1994 there were still big stacks of them at $5 a pop

but, i guess like those big stacks of avengers annual 10 floating around for a decade, the market has now absorbed them

but, i guess like those big stacks of avengers annual 10 floating around for a decade, the market has now absorbed them

Yep, just like those monster stacks of Hulk 181.

The value of comics are like the value of American currency, both do great as long as enough people hold onto it.

I've been told by the CGC there's a minimum of 50 books with pre-screen. The benefits of pre-screen depend on how much you want to spend and what grade you're aiming for. For example, if you pre-screen at 9.6 or above and 45 of your books make the grade, it'll be quite costly in one hit.

If you decide to submit based on your own grading, I'd recommend picking a few of the best looking books for a trial run (as mentioned above).

You can submit 1 book or a 100 books at once, there is no minimum for pre-screening.

CGC does charge a nominal fee for pre-screening books, can't remember how much offhand as I don't have my books pre-screened before they are slabbed.

If you are not sure of a book/not an experienced grader and it sounds like the original poster may fall into one of those categories. I'd suggest having said book (s) pre-screened.

I'd also suggest that the original poster sign up for GPA before he starts deciding which books to submit as only using eBay completed auctions to gauge pricing trends is not nearly as efficient (and accurate) as using GPA.

A monthly subscription cost of ten bucks, which the OP could also cancel at any time, is well worth the investment to decide how to get the best return on his collection.

You can submit 1 book or a 100 books at once, there is no minimum for pre-screening.

:facepalm:

How many books are necessary to qualify to send in a Pre-screen?

In general, CGC requires a 50-book submission per tier. Please call to discuss, as these guidelines are flexible and we are willing to work with our submitters to meet their needs.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

Which of course, is just one of the reasons you are on ignore . . . :grin:

:facepalm:

How many books are necessary to qualify to send in a Pre-screen?

In general, CGC requires a 50-book submission per tier. Please call to discuss, as these guidelines are flexible and we are willing to work with our submitters to meet their needs.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

Which of course, is just one of the reasons you are on ignore . . . :grin:

Wrong.

I spoke with CGC customer service about possibly pre-screening 1 or 2 single books that I subbed,back in March out of a submission of a total of FIVE comics.I was qouted a small fee for pre-screening each book.Call them yourself if you doubt me.

Oh yeah and what?....I'm on ignore?

You sir, are a tool.

Good job with inviting personal insults but hey, since you prompted me....

I'm getting slighted by the guy with questionable selling ethics, the very same character who posts up raw comics on eBay, grades them as solid 9.8's and says that CGC would grade them as such. :boo:

Here is my suggestion, please follow it:

Stick to selling raw Catwoman # 51's, Crisis On Infinite Earth #8 etc etc for nearly 100% of 9.8 GPA, then posting up links of your completed sales in the 'comics heating up' thread.

Follow that suggestion up with making a decision, next time, to avoid thinking of ways to randomly bust another boardie's stones.....and then, we're all good (shrug)

Likewise, I had never heard that CGC accepted pre-screens of less than 50 books.

So lay off the vitriol.

In my case, I have a bunch ~10 obscure Bronze books that I'd like to pre-screen at 9.2, but was under the impression that I needed minimum 50 (at a 9.2-level sub) to hit the minimum threshold.

You know, like it says on their site...

Likewise, I had never heard that CGC accepted pre-screens of less than 50 books.

So lay off the vitriol.

In my case, I have a bunch ~10 obscure Bronze books that I'd like to pre-screen at 9.2, but was under the impression that I needed minimum 50 (at a 9.2-level sub) to hit the minimum threshold.

You know, like it says on their site...

The site is outdated? (shrug)

They will definitely prescreen fewer than 50 books. At least as of about 6 months ago, unless they changed it again and went back to 50+.