• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just bought my first golden age comic!

73 posts in this topic

For me, I made the crazy decision about 10 years ago to collect as many Superman books as I could get a hold of. For the longest time, my oldest was AC#215 from 1956.

When I finally decided to liquidate the books in my collection hoard that I no longer had an emotional attachment to, I had the funds available to start dabbling into Golden Age books. Fortunately, this was around the same time my LCS decided to get into the auction business.

The result of those two occurrences, was my first golden age purchase...Action Comics #11

S11_zpsrqhxlyfe.jpg

It's a little rough around the edges, with some erased pencil scribbles, and I'm sure the staples aren't original...but I love it just the same!

Such an iconic Superman pose. and as near as I can tell, the 1st time the breaking chains motif was used on a cover!

Since then, I have about a half dozen more, but this one will always be my favorite.

That is a great book!

Now this one will seem a little insignifficant with all the great books being posted here. This purchase goes back to when I was about 11. I had bought MAD Magazine off the newstands from issue #72. I had decided I wanted to collect all the ones I missed. I had a little luck trading with the local kids, getting a few given to me and hitting the couple local used book stores and finding some for like 15 cents each. I think the oldest one I had was #38 from around 1958 and that seemed ancient to me.

One day my dad asked me if I wanted to go to Hollywood with him. He knew of a book store that might have some of what I was looking for. I cracked out the 10 or 12 bucks I had saved and my dad gave me another five. He dropped me off a Cherokee Books while he did some business in the area.

I had never been there but it was magical to me. You would go to the back of the store where there was a small staircase. As I walked up, I could see old 10 cent comics thumb tacked to the wall in cleaners bags. Then I saw IT. MAD #9! I thought wow could it be? Why did it look so different? And it was priced at a staggering $2.00!

I didn't care, pulled it down and went up to the top of the stairs. There was a whole hall of boxes with covers taped on them to identify what was in it. I found the box of MADs and dove in. They were 50 cents each and I bought the oldest ones I could find from the number 20's. The later comic book MADs were a buck apiece. I carefully figured out what I could buy (an agonizing choice) and took my treasures up to Bert Blum to pay. We talked for a minute and he pulled out the "holy grail" out from under the counter, OMG a MAD #1 for $25!. Being, I didn't have enough anyway I just bought the pile I had selected and left.

I thought about it for months and mowed lawns, paper route, turned in pop bottles and saved up enough to beg my dad to take me back. When he finally did I became the proud owner of the "king of the comics".

But back to the topic on hand. This is the first GA comic I ever bought. (my original copy) It is also the first comic I ever bought that was more than cover price and essentially turned me into the "junk" collector I am today. Thanks for the memories Burt where ever you are!

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

We seem to have traveled a parallel route. The day I first visited Cherokee and bought the Supes 29 I also bought some Mad Magazines and comics (just don't remember which issues were first). On my 2nd or 3rd visit I got a Mad #1 and #5 for $10 each. Burt's prices seemed to vary depending on his mood...

I could have spent a week in that store. There is nothing like it today. It was better than Disneyland. There are two Cherokee books in my Sig-line...the Supes #17 and #23.

I always wanted the Superman 24 that was hanging on the outside of the box, but didn't realize I could just pull it off and buy it. There was never one in the boxes, so I had to wait until 1993 to get my own copy. That purchase kinda rekindled my GA interest...along with buying the Photo-Journals (damn them). lol

This book was my first ever GA purchase. I wanted to buy the earliest Batman book I can afford at that time and pursued this book at Comiclink in the Exchange section back in 2006. Funny thing is was that this book already had a sales pending on it and I was on the Waiting List. A few days later, Josh emailed me saying that the buyer backed out of paying for the book and asked if I was still interested in purchasing it. To my pleasure and excitement I said definitely and the rest was history. Bought the book for $3000.

Picture011.jpg

You want a fast profit

This book was my first ever GA purchase. I wanted to buy the earliest Batman book I can afford at that time and pursued this book at Comiclink in the Exchange section back in 2006. Funny thing is was that this book already had a sales pending on it and I was on the Waiting List. A few days later, Josh emailed me saying that the buyer backed out of paying for the book and asked if I was still interested in purchasing it. To my pleasure and excitement I said definitely and the rest was history. Bought the book for $3000.

Picture011.jpg

You want a fast profit

Sold it a while back unfortunately :sorry:

Now this one will seem a little insignifficant with all the great books being posted here. This purchase goes back to when I was about 11. I had bought MAD Magazine off the newstands from issue #72. I had decided I wanted to collect all the ones I missed. I had a little luck trading with the local kids, getting a few given to me and hitting the couple local used book stores and finding some for like 15 cents each. I think the oldest one I had was #38 from around 1958 and that seemed ancient to me.

One day my dad asked me if I wanted to go to Hollywood with him. He knew of a book store that might have some of what I was looking for. I cracked out the 10 or 12 bucks I had saved and my dad gave me another five. He dropped me off a Cherokee Books while he did some business in the area.

I had never been there but it was magical to me. You would go to the back of the store where there was a small staircase. As I walked up, I could see old 10 cent comics thumb tacked to the wall in cleaners bags. Then I saw IT. MAD #9! I thought wow could it be? Why did it look so different? And it was priced at a staggering $2.00!

I didn't care, pulled it down and went up to the top of the stairs. There was a whole hall of boxes with covers taped on them to identify what was in it. I found the box of MADs and dove in. They were 50 cents each and I bought the oldest ones I could find from the number 20's. The later comic book MADs were a buck apiece. I carefully figured out what I could buy (an agonizing choice) and took my treasures up to Bert Blum to pay. We talked for a minute and he pulled out the "holy grail" out from under the counter, OMG a MAD #1 for $25!. Being, I didn't have enough anyway I just bought the pile I had selected and left.

I thought about it for months and mowed lawns, paper route, turned in pop bottles and saved up enough to beg my dad to take me back. When he finally did I became the proud owner of the "king of the comics".

But back to the topic on hand. This is the first GA comic I ever bought. (my original copy) It is also the first comic I ever bought that was more than cover price and essentially turned me into the "junk" collector I am today. Thanks for the memories Burt where ever you are!

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

I new you were Mad Robot Man !!!!!!!! Thats why your great (thumbs u