• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US vs UK editions

242 posts in this topic

to everyone

what's your take on the US vs UK editions? I know the US always goes for higher value, but what if you had the chance of getting a comic you really wanted and you could chose between an 5.0 US or an 8.0 UK, both being at the same price?

Nowadays are the collectors still opposed to the UK editions, not even accepting to get copies even if they would be grat aditions to their collections? Do the values of the UK editions evolve or they stay the same in the long therm?

regards

to everyone

what's your take on the US vs UK editions? I know the US always goes for higher value, but what if you had the chance of getting a comic you really wanted and you could chose between an 5.0 US or an 8.0 UK, both being at the same price?

Nowadays are the collectors still opposed to the UK editions, not even accepting to get copies even if they would be grat aditions to their collections? Do the values of the UK editions evolve or they stay the same in the long therm?

regards

there is indeed many prior discussions... but my take q by q

what's your take on the US vs UK editions? I love both

I know the US always goes for higher value, yes but the gap has reduced substantially in recent years

but what if you had the chance of getting a comic you really wanted and you could chose between an 5.0 US or an 8.0 UK, both being at the same price? no brainer, get the 8.0, what a bargain

Nowadays are the collectors still opposed to the UK editions, not even accepting to get copies even if they would be grat aditions to their collections? some might be, the enlightened are not :acclaim:

Do the values of the UK editions evolve or they stay the same in the long therm? they evolve

let's see the book please

FACTS:

"UK Editions" are NOT reprints

"UK Editions" are original price variants (similar to 30 and 35 cent variants, or Canadian 15c etc)

They are not "foreign reprints" as were printed on American presses at the same time and EXPORTED to the UK. Thus to be specific they are AMERICAN ORIGINALS with UK price variants intended for the UK market

They are at least 100 times rarer than the American priced originals :cloud9:

to everyone

regards

I know the US always goes for higher value, yes but the gap has reduced substantially in recent years

but what if you had the chance of getting a comic you really wanted and you could chose between an 5.0 US or an 8.0 UK, both being at the same price? no brainer, get the 8.0, what a bargain

Nowadays are the collectors still opposed to the UK editions, not even accepting to get copies even if they would be grat aditions to their collections? some might be, the enlightened are not :acclaim:

Do the values of the UK editions evolve or they stay the same in the long therm? they evolve

FACTS:

"UK Editions" are original price variants (similar to 30 and 35 cent variants, or Canadian 15c etc)

They are not "foreign reprints" as were printed on American presses at the same time and EXPORTED to the UK. Thus to be specific they are AMERICAN ORIGINALS with UK price variants intended for the UK market

thanks for the interesting reply.

It doesn't bother me the pence copies (i have a couple of them on my collection).

They aren't reprints and (correct if i'm wrong) they use the same materials/ production thecniques as the US counterparts, no?

Inside and outside they are exactly the same as the US ones, with the difference on the price tag, that's all...

I always had the impression they were scarcer/ more difficult to find.

regards

to everyone

regards

FACTS:

Thanks Ewing, that is a very intelligent and well-thought post.

As an italian, although knowing these were just "cover price variants" – like the 1970s 30¢ so to speak – I always felt them "dishomogeneous" side by side with my other issues with the USD price.

You are right in saying the are american originals, just with custom cover prices for the UK markets, but I can’t help to get past this difference. :(

thanks for the interesting reply.

It doesn't bother me the pence copies (i have a couple of them on my collection).

They aren't reprints and (correct if i'm wrong) they use the same materials/ production thecniques as the US counterparts, no?

Inside and outside they are exactly the same as the US ones, with the difference on the price tag, that's all...

I always had the impression they were scarcer/ more difficult to find.

regards

As he said, Pedro, not only the interiors are the same, but the cover with the UK price was printed more or less simultaneously as they were aimed to the british market, but in fact they are the very same thing.

I think a british collector should love them above the US ones, but as a non-english collector I have this bias because the cents price makes the american copies "feel" more american, while it should be just a detail. hm

Hmmmm, I think it's wishful thinking to even suppose that the British editions are in way comparable to the US ones - and this is coming from a UK guy.

If there's a pronounced bias towards much higher values for cents copies it's because they are far more desirable, not a little bit more desirable... far, far more desirable.

American heroes, American writers, American artists. American publishers, American pricing. Anything different feels wrong. Any ten year old in the mid sixties would say the same, he wanted to spend 10 cents... certainly not 6d

Now if they had a pence sticker over the cent price then that's something that could be just 'one of those things' but each and every pence copy has been altered for a foreign market, right there, in black and white, printed physically on the cover.

It just doesn't 'look' right.

Yeah they were printed at the same time, same place, same printers.

Still 'different' enough to stand out in a collection.

I actually think they are extremely overvalued and should be treated like any other foreign edition.

Sorry guys, JMHO.

Hmmmm, I think it's wishful thinking to even suppose that the British editions are in way comparable to the US ones - and this is coming from a UK guy.

If there's a pronounced bias towards much higher values for cents copies it's because they are far more desirable, not a little bit more desirable... far, far more desirable.

American heroes, American writers, American artists. American publishers, American pricing. Anything different feels wrong. Any ten year old in the mid sixties would say the same, he wanted to spend 10 cents... certainly not 6d

Now if they had a pence sticker over the cent price then that's something that could be just 'one of those things' but each and every pence copy has been altered for a foreign market, right there, in black and white, printed physically on the cover.

I actually think they are extremely overvalued and should be treated like any other foreign edition.

Sorry guys, JMHO.

I understand the subjectivity and desirability factors - and absolutely each to their own

I have both in my collection

and yes they are "pence" and "cents" copies - to deny that is wishful thinking indeed

however, I do want to clear-up this long term "reprint" falacy - they are NOT reprints or "foreign editions" - they are "price variants"

but yes, it's all semantics to a degree :shy:

Agreed in that I'd never refer to them as reprints. They most assuredly are not.

But they are an edition of the comic printed for a foreign market. Same press, but produced for a different market thousands of miles away.

Each to their own.

I prefer just noting them as 'pence copy'.

Question, are the interiors identical? I.e. did they have the same advertisements on the inside as the cents version?

Yeah, only difference is the price.

Actually the indicia has the additional line "distrubuted by Thorpe & Porter" (or words to that effect) but otherwise identical (ads included)

"Pence copies" is an agreeable term yes

Some additional info, the pre-decimal pence copies are (as far as I know) limited to only Marvel titles. DC comics were all stamped and / or stickered with a price on the cover

However, from the early 70s onwards the are also both DC and Charlton printed "pence copies" - but I don't know a lot about these yet and the market seems very immature

I think JO 133 & 134 have "pence copies"

Certainly, the 70s Marvel keys e.g. IM 55 and DD 158

I understand no-one's every seen a "pence" Hulk 181

High grade pence editions appear to be quite scarce, compared to regular copies. That needs to be considered in any buying situation.

Definitely

I think another boardie bought a pence AF 15 in CGC 8.0 for only about £5,000 ($8,000) a few years back - the highest graded to date

what a bargain!!!

I often post in these threads when I see them but it looks like Ewan has it covered pretty well. :whee:

Sorry guys, JMHO.

I understand the subjectivity and desirability factors - and absolutely each to their own

I have both in my collection

and yes they are "pence" and "cents" copies - to deny that is wishful thinking indeed

however, I do want to clear-up this long term "reprint" falacy - they are NOT reprints or "foreign editions" - they are "price variants"

but yes, it's all semantics to a degree :shy:

While I agree with koollectablz on the reasons for which they "feel" more original, as they are an american product with a british price, I absolutely agree with you that is no terminological question: they are not "foreign editions", unless we consider "editing" the different printed price (in the black plate, as all the other color plates are unaltered). Above all, they are not "UK editions" as they neither did involve editing nor were printed in the UK.