• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US vs UK editions

242 posts in this topic

Hmmmm, I think it's wishful thinking to even suppose that the British editions are in way comparable to the US ones - and this is coming from a UK guy.

If there's a pronounced bias towards much higher values for cents copies it's because they are far more desirable, not a little bit more desirable... far, far more desirable.

American heroes, American writers, American artists. American publishers, American pricing. Anything different feels wrong. Any ten year old in the mid sixties would say the same, he wanted to spend 10 cents... certainly not 6d

Now if they had a pence sticker over the cent price then that's something that could be just 'one of those things' but each and every pence copy has been altered for a foreign market, right there, in black and white, printed physically on the cover.

It just doesn't 'look' right.

Yeah they were printed at the same time, same place, same printers.

Still 'different' enough to stand out in a collection.

I actually think they are extremely overvalued and should be treated like any other foreign edition.

Sorry guys, JMHO.

I understand the subjectivity and desirability factors - and absolutely each to their own

I have both in my collection

and yes they are "pence" and "cents" copies - to deny that is wishful thinking indeed

however, I do want to clear-up this long term "reprint" falacy - they are NOT reprints or "foreign editions" - they are "price variants"

but yes, it's all semantics to a degree :shy:

While I agree with koollectablz on the reasons for which they "feel" more original, as they are an american product with a british price, I absolutely agree with you that is no terminological question: they are not "foreign editions", unless we consider "editing" the different printed price (in the black plate, as all the other color plates are unaltered). Above all, they are not "UK editions" as they neither did involve editing nor were printed in the UK.

Tell that to CGC.

tales%20of%20suspense%2039_zpsc7ik6qa6.jpg

I often post in these threads when I see them but it looks like Ewan has it covered pretty well. :whee:

Hey mate!Was wondering when id see you here!

I wiill take a pence copy over a cent anyday....far less available.Same with the Canadian price variants from the late 80s,early 90s(95¢ compared to 75 ¢ US smaller 95¢Canadian)

There are also Aussie priced ones from this era...but I get off topic...

I often post in these threads when I see them but it looks like Ewan has it covered pretty well. :whee:

:foryou:

didn't you or some of the other UK guys start compiling a pence list? I recall somewhere?

Ive a link to that somewhere KevinJ sent me.... :sorry:

I still owe you guys some scans....one day...

I love it when foreigners try to tell Americans what they are.

It's like Mexicans trying to tell me that the name of the country is the United States, not America. Then I point out that the name of their country is actually Estado Unidos de Mexico- The united states of Mexico and they draw a blank.

There are two continents with America in their name, but only only country.

Canadians are no more American than they are Mexican, and I'm sure they are quite happy about it.

Indeed.I identify more with being /UK than American,could be due to the family background,but most Canadians I know feel the same.im a Canuck at the end of the day though.

:foryou:

didn't you or some of the other UK guys start compiling a pence list? I recall somewhere?

Yeah, that's right. Kevin and Neil were the ringleaders of it but I think that life got in the way and they don't post much here any more. :(

Hey mate!Was wondering when id see you here!

I wiill take a pence copy over a cent anyday....far less available.Same with the Canadian price variants from the late 80s,early 90s(95¢ compared to 75 ¢ US smaller 95¢Canadian)

There are also Aussie priced ones from this era...but I get off topic...

Hey Jimmers, don't post much here myself these days. Still keep an eye on things a bit though. :hi:

I think JO 133 & 134 have "pence copies"

Certainly, the 70s Marvel keys e.g. IM 55 and DD 158

I understand no-one's every seen a "pence" Hulk 181

No pence copies of JO # 133 or # 134, just # 139, and definitely no Hulk # 181.

There are a few other 70's DC's -

Action # 402, Adventure # 408, Flash # 208, Detective # 413 - I assume they were testing the market at the time.

DC issues with 12p printed on the cover were common in the late 70s to early 80s. I have a few Perez JLAs and some of the Englehart / Rogers Detectives.

Hmmmm, I think it's wishful thinking to even suppose that the British editions are in way comparable to the US ones - and this is coming from a UK guy.

If there's a pronounced bias towards much higher values for cents copies it's because they are far more desirable, not a little bit more desirable... far, far more desirable.

American heroes, American writers, American artists. American publishers, American pricing. Anything different feels wrong. Any ten year old in the mid sixties would say the same, he wanted to spend 10 cents... certainly not 6d

Now if they had a pence sticker over the cent price then that's something that could be just 'one of those things' but each and every pence copy has been altered for a foreign market, right there, in black and white, printed physically on the cover.

I actually think they are extremely overvalued and should be treated like any other foreign edition.

Sorry guys, JMHO.

I understand the subjectivity and desirability factors - and absolutely each to their own

I have both in my collection

and yes they are "pence" and "cents" copies - to deny that is wishful thinking indeed

however, I do want to clear-up this long term "reprint" falacy - they are NOT reprints or "foreign editions" - they are "price variants"

but yes, it's all semantics to a degree :shy:

While I agree with koollectablz on the reasons for which they "feel" more original, as they are an american product with a british price, I absolutely agree with you that is no terminological question: they are not "foreign editions", unless we consider "editing" the different printed price (in the black plate, as all the other color plates are unaltered). Above all, they are not "UK editions" as they neither did involve editing nor were printed in the UK.

Tell that to CGC.

tales%20of%20suspense%2039_zpsc7ik6qa6.jpg

All my pence editions say UK edition

CGC seems to think uk is country/ variant

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?ComicID=91698

Notice below it is also a pedigree ?

-----------

Issue:

Issue Date:

3/76

Issue Year:

Publisher:

Marvel Comics

Grade:

Pedigree:

U.K. Edition

Page Quality:

OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date:

03/08/2013

United Kingdom

Category:

Universal

Sorry guys, JMHO.

+1

This. Nailed it.

Pence copies are a niche sub-market. Regardless of what some are saying, and where or when they were printed, they are in fact foreign versions of American comic books. They may not be "reprints" per se, but they are certainly not "price variants" either. That is a nonsensical comparison and an over-reach in an attempt to attribute more value/significance to the books than there actually is.

And not only are the prices and monetary units different on the covers, they are also missing the dates of publication and the indicia on the interior are different.

Simply put, they are not "the same" as their original American counterparts. Period.

-J.

How about regular copies that have the British price stamped on them?

I was bidding on a Batman 227 that had a pence price stamped on it.

I wasn't sure how to price it.

Good question!

I have a Ringo Kid #1 with a 20¢ Canadian price sticker on it.uglier that a stamp for certain...

Was it any different than, say, a date stamp?

Good question!

I have a Ringo Kid #1 with a 20¢ Canadian price sticker on it.uglier that a stamp for certain...

Stickers are terrible.

I think JO 133 & 134 have "pence copies"

Certainly, the 70s Marvel keys e.g. IM 55 and DD 158

I understand no-one's every seen a "pence" Hulk 181

No pence copies of JO # 133 or # 134, just # 139, and definitely no Hulk # 181.

There are a few other 70's DC's -

Action # 402, Adventure # 408, Flash # 208, Detective # 413 - I assume they were testing the market at the time.

I see - ok so these really are price variants then? Just a few books when normally they'd get T&P stamps?

I didn't realise that.

When did the DC UK pricing start proper then?

here's the indicia to my "pence" ASM no.1 (nice of original owner "Gareth" to write his name on it!)

(sorry couldn't make it bigger :sick: , old pics )

You can see it actually says "printed in the USA"

asm1inner.jpg

I don't have any Silver Age pence copies and I wasn't aware of the differences on the inside cover, especially the T & P line at the foot of the page. Learned something. :)

For me, I could go to the corner newsagent and effortlessly buy a pence copy in the 70s, and maybe I saw US cent copies as aspirational and more logical to have as US-originated product?

here's the indicia to my "pence" ASM no.1 (nice of original owner "Gareth" to write his name on it!)

asm1inner.jpg

I don't have any Silver Age pence copies and I wasn't aware of these differences on the inside cover, especially the T & P line at the foot of the page. Learned something. :)

For me, I could go to the corner newsagent and effortlessly buy a pence copy in the 70s, and maybe I saw US cent copies as aspirational and more logical to have as US-originated product?

Same here.

If anything that makes the argument for them being 'Foreign Editions' even more relevant to me. Cover is different and the internals are different as well.

Normal American issues with other currency stickers I have no issue with TBH, neither ones like the DCs that are stamped. I guess because they are totally 'valid' (in my eyes) American copies that have just been after publication priced for a foreign market rather than printed differently.

At the heart of it I think if people with pence copies could have them magically changed into cents copies it'd be a no brainer. They are collected and bought and sold because they are much cheaper, and deservedly so.

Interesting topic.

asm1inner.jpg

I don't have any Silver Age pence copies and I wasn't aware of these differences on the inside cover, especially the T & P line at the foot of the page. Learned something. :)

Same here.

If anything that makes the argument for them being 'Foreign Editions' even more relevant to me. Cover is different and the internals are different as well.

Normal American issues with other currency stickers I have no issue with TBH, neither ones like the DCs that are stamped. I guess because they are totally 'valid' (in my eyes) American copies that have just been after publication priced for a foreign market rather than printed differently.

At the heart of it I think if people with pence copies could have them magically changed into cents copies it'd be a no brainer. They are collected and bought and sold because they are much cheaper, and deservedly so.

Interesting topic.

Cheapness is one aspect of why they are bought and sold but not the only one. Some UK collectors prefer them to cents copies, probably due to nostalgia or familiarity. Some collectors like collecting other versions of particular issues. Some collectors buy them because they are far more challenging to collect than cents copies which can be found with ease. Some collectors just don't distinguish at all between cents and pence copies. This isn't speculation, I've sold to people who fall into all of these categories.

asm1inner.jpg

Same here.

Interesting topic.

Cheapness is one aspect of why they are bought and sold but not the only one. Some UK collectors prefer them to cents copies, probably due to nostalgia or familiarity. Some collectors like collecting other versions of particular issues. Some collectors buy them because they are far more challenging to collect than cents copies which can be found with ease. Some collectors just don't distinguish at all between cents and pence copies. This isn't speculation, I've sold to people who fall into all of these categories.

True enuff. what I would add is whilst it seems to stand to reason that pence copies of any particular issue must be far rarer than their American counterpart when taken as a whole extant supply, when I was chasing early ASM in the early 80s, for myself pence copies were available more often than cents copies - which makes sense as I live in the UK.

I haven't really kept up with prices of pence copies to any great extent but when I used to stand at marts throughout the 80/90s even then the basic run collector would be very knowledgable about which they'd prefer, and I'd have to price pence copies very aggressively to make sure they moved.