• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US vs UK editions

242 posts in this topic

Agreed in that I'd never refer to them as reprints. They most assuredly are not.

But they are an edition of the comic printed for a foreign market. Same press, but produced for a different market thousands of miles away.

Each to their own.

I prefer just noting them as 'pence copy'.

Yes, I guess that is the bottom line.

They are the very same thing, but because of the market destination (and altered price) they do not "feel american". "Pence copies" is fine, as it is "Canadian copies" for those printed for Canada, but I would feel reluctant to purchase an expensive book with the Pence price, because it remains a localized version of an american editorial product. hm

However, from the early 70s onwards the are also both DC and Charlton printed "pence copies" - but I don't know a lot about these yet and the market seems very immature

I think JO 133 & 134 have "pence copies"

Certainly, the 70s Marvel keys e.g. IM 55 and DD 158

I understand no-one's every seen a "pence" Hulk 181

Not early 1970s but I do have a pair of Shade the Changing Man, and possibly a Jimmy Olsen as well.

Yes, I guess that is the bottom line.

They are the very same thing, but because of the market destination (and altered price) they do not "feel american". "Pence copies" is fine, as it is "Canadian copies" for those printed for Canada, but I would feel reluctant to purchase an expensive book with the Pence price, because it remains a localized version of an american editorial product. hm

+1

Back in the very early days of CGC, Thor #337 was a tough book to find in 9.8 (don't laugh). My friend BronzeBruce knew I wanted a copy and excitedly contacted me that he had picked up a 9.8 slabbed copy that he would sell to me at a very reasonable price.

One big problem - it was a Canadian copy and had a 75 cent cover price. Even though we're talking about the same cents symbol, my younger self would only have equated 60 cents as being the correct price for that issue. My nostalgia did not extend to 75 cent foreign variants.

I would imagine it's even harder to covet and feel nostalgic about something priced at "9d" that was never sold in the US. :sorry:

Weel, strictly speaking the canadian copies are still american, but yes, it is the same thing. :(

sorry genuine question, why are they still "American" do you mean geographically? as in from the continent of "North America"

I often post in these threads when I see them but it looks like Ewan has it covered pretty well. :whee:

:foryou:

didn't you or some of the other UK guys start compiling a pence list? I recall somewhere?

Yes, Canada is part of America.

The fact that we got accustomed to call the United States alone "America" doesn't make Canada less american to me. :)

really? I though it was very much only United States citizens that called themselves "Americans" while Canadian citizens called themselves "Canadians"

I'm pretty happy to have my pence copy of JIM 125 -- it is a reader and I didn't have to pay much for it. The alternative was getting the same level of reader for 3x the price.

But I understand the desire to have the 12 cent American issue as all my other books are the same. So for now it is merely a filler copy in my collection. I don't expect to make anything on this copy or have plans to sell it as soon as I find a nicer replacement. It is kind of neat to have something like a pence copy in your collection imo. But I do not go out of my way to accumulate them and if I were to bid on one, I would not bid anywhere as high as one with USA pricing on it-- it almost always has to be a bargain for me to take interest,

just out of interest I happen to have some pics to hand from an original owner collection I bought a few years back (from Essex if I recall)

look at the variety of prices and pricing formats

some of these are "cents", some "pence", some "foreign" and so on

xxxxxxxSept2012008_zps6ae2d22d.jpg

xxxxxxxSept2012011_zpsab4be17d.jpg

xxxxxxxSept2012017_zps0df1160f.jpg

The fact that we got accustomed to call the United States alone "America" doesn't make Canada less american to me. :)

really? I though it was very much only United States citizens that called themselves "Americans" while Canadian citizens called themselves "Canadians"

It’s clear that the culture which developed in Canada is very different, but they remain both America. US citizens are already so self-centered that it doesn’t hurt to make them realize Canada is America too! lol

While Canadians (as well as Mexicans, Brazilians, Salvadorians, etc.) are from the Americas most would not call themselves Americans. Who'd want to be thought of as a Bilgesnipe. The problem is that while other countries have another term for themselves American's (from the United States) do not. We are not United Statians, United Staters, Unitarians, or any other term. Well okay, some of us are Unitarians, but that's another thing entirely.

OK, but the continent remains America, so you are both americans and americans, while canadians are americans and canadians. You just don’t have a specific term for your country which gets generally identified with the whole continent. :)

As I said, a helluva lot of you is so self-centered! lol

the US and Canada have a lot in common no doubt but we are definitely different countries. I like Canadians quite a bit-- and think they are the best neighbor the US could ask for. I think I could be very happy living in Canada. Helps that I like hockey and grew up in Chicago (so the weather wouldn't bother me much).

With time-- I think Mexico will be that kind of neighbor as well. The amount of influence over the USA by Central American countries is getting more and more prevalent.

here's the indicia to my "pence" ASM no.1 (nice of original owner "Gareth" to write his name on it!)

(sorry couldn't make it bigger :sick: , old pics )

You can see it actually says "printed in the USA"

asm1inner.jpg

OK, but the continent remains America, so you are both americans and americans, while canadians are americans and canadians. You just don’t have a specific term for your country which gets generally identified with the whole continent. :)

As I said, a helluva lot of you is so self-centered! lol

have you ever visited America? Doesn't sound like you have

the US and Canada have a lot in common no doubt but we are definitely different countries. I like Canadians quite a bit-- and think they are the best neighbor the US could ask for. I think I could be very happy living in Canada. Helps that I like hockey and grew up in Chicago (so the weather wouldn't bother me much).

With time-- I think Mexico will be that kind of neighbor as well. The amount of influence over the USA by Central American countries is getting more and more prevalent.

Well I live Geographically in the British Isles, and consider myself to be "British" and from the "UK" but my home country is "England" - which is clearly the lead country of the Islands ;) unless we're playing tennis

I think going North American or South American fits

but just referring to anyone from either continent as 'American' will result in a lot of confusion and questions.

Also of note: A Southern American is VERY different than a South American.

I love it when foreigners try to tell Americans what they are.

It's like Mexicans trying to tell me that the name of the country is the United States, not America. Then I point out that the name of their country is actually Estado Unidos de Mexico- The united states of Mexico and they draw a blank.

There are two continents with America in their name, but only only country.

Canadians are no more American than they are Mexican, and I'm sure they are quite happy about it.