• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic No. 1 Hoard

257 posts in this topic

I have 100 Star Wars No. 1 Comics

They're all at CGC at this time for slabbing.

Anyone have any advice or comments regarding the liquidation of this hoard ?

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

I would sell them on eBay. 2 a week via no-reserve auction, plus have one or two always set as a buy-it-now asking fair market value for them.

You could consider sending a couple to each auction house: Comic Link, Comic Connect, Heritage, Quality Comics.

Good luck!

Andy

I would sell them on eBay. 2 a week via no-reserve auction, plus have one or two always set as a buy-it-now asking fair market value for them.

You could consider sending a couple to each auction house: Comic Link, Comic Connect, Heritage, Quality Comics.

Good luck!

Andy

this seems reasonable.

I have 100 Star Wars No. 1 Comics

They're all at CGC at this time for slabbing.

Anyone have any advice or comments regarding the liquidation of this hoard ?

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

What you should do is

1) NOT flood the census with high grade copies.

2) If you ignore #1, whatever you do, don't tell everyone that you are flooding the census with high grade copies.

3) Realize that you are entering the wonderful world of "diminishing returns". Whatever works for 1 copy or 5 copies becomes infinitely harder at 20 copies, exponentially harder for 50, and untenable at 100.

100 slabbed copies, if you actually want to maximize profits and not destroy the market, will take years to move. The only way to move faster is to spread them out...a couple copies on EBay....a couple to Heritage....a couple to MCS....a couple to CLink....and then travel to every single convention during convention season and sell a few each weekend.

Even then...unless you start giving them away at 1/2 GPA...you are looking at a very long term commitment.

No matter where you sell and how you sell don't let anyone (else) know how many you have. Nothing kills the deal on a collectible item faster than pulling one out of a case of 100 in front of a possible buyer.

Thanks !

I was thinking exactly the same strategy, point for point, as you advised.

I thot I would start with lowest grades first and work my way up as we get closer to the release of the movie.

I would try to put 2-3 or LESS in any one auction at the SAME grade. BUT also try to get as many as possible in those +- 2 months before and after the movie.

This book is so ridiculously over valued it's not even funny.

Do you know how many people/collections are out there like this guy's with that many copies?

A WHOLE LOT.

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined. lol

-J.

Thanks !

I was thinking exactly the same strategy, point for point, as you advised.

I thot I would start with lowest grades first and work my way up as we get closer to the release of the movie.

I would try to put 2-3 or LESS in any one auction at the SAME grade. BUT also try to get as many as possible in those +- 2 months before and after the movie.

And always have 3-4 available at a highish BIN price on ebay, with a best offer option.

Well it is true, this comic is definitely not rare. :makepoint:

On the selling front (as others have said) I would sell them off slowly. They have several years worth of movies planned, so Star Wars is not going off the radar anytime soon. May as well maximize your profits, if you can afford to wait it out.

Though I don't know if it was a good idea to announce publicly you had a large hoard.

Though I don't know if it was a good idea to announce publicly you had a large hoard.

I'm going to guess that the 100 copies was actually an understatement of how many he actually has. lol

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined. lol

This.

VERY good advice !

Thanks.

It might make for a good story to tell that I originally bought 500 of them.

Someone, and I dont remember now who it was, in the coin dealer community told me about the movie coming out in 1977 and said that there was a comic book coming out ahead of the movie and that I could probably double my money if if i bought them and sold them when the movie came out.

I ordered 500 through a comic book distributor, and i got a break on the price because of the qty. I paid 24 cents each.

I sold 100 a few weeks later at $3. each.then over the years, whenever a new S/W movie came out, I would sell a few issues. The last time I sold some about 6-8 yrs ago, I got around $13 to $17.

The I put the last hundred in safe storage. Then recently, hearing about the new movie, i decided to check out what that issue was doing on ebay. I think I saw one graded 9,7 sell for 2 grand. I crapped my pants and then went to dig them out of storage.

When I sent them to cgc, I opted for the 5 day express service on , what I considered the best 20 comics. CGC tells me they're shipping them to me on monday. The rest are in for 5-6 weeks.

Fortunately, I dont NEED to sell them. Maybe a few, then leave em in my will among my kids and grandkids.

I've had some good score in my coin business over the years, but this one is probably my best score. (if they grade out as high as i think they will)

I think I saw one graded 9,7 sell for 2 grand.

a 9.7 should sell for 20grand IMO :jokealert:

CGC has 9.4,9.6 and 9.8 grades (also 9.9 and 10.0)

If one of them comes back 10.0, be very happy.

VERY good advice !

Thanks.

It might make for a good story to tell that I originally bought 500 of them.

Someone, and I dont remember now who it was, in the coin dealer community told me about the movie coming out in 1977 and said that there was a comic book coming out ahead of the movie and that I could probably double my money if if i bought them and sold them when the movie came out.

I ordered 500 through a comic book distributor, and i got a break on the price because of the qty. I paid 24 cents each.

I sold 100 a few weeks later at $3. each.then over the years, whenever a new S/W movie came out, I would sell a few issues. The last time I sold some about 6-8 yrs ago, I got around $13 to $17.

The I put the last hundred in safe storage. Then recently, hearing about the new movie, i decided to check out what that issue was doing on ebay. I think I saw one graded 9,7 sell for 2 grand. I crapped my pants and then went to dig them out of storage.

When I sent them to cgc, I opted for the 5 day express service on , what I considered the best 20 comics. CGC tells me they're shipping them to me on monday. The rest are in for 5-6 weeks.

Fortunately, I dont NEED to sell them. Maybe a few, then leave em in my will among my kids and grandkids.

I've had some good score in my coin business over the years, but this one is probably my best score. (if they grade out as high as i think they will)

Goodness!

I am very happy for you to have such intuition. As equally happy I listened to my advisor Jay lol and parted with my 9.8's before a flood of stock came.