• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic No. 1 Hoard

257 posts in this topic

Did the census ever take a 100 book bump for this lot?

I don't know if it was for this lot, but there was a little bump.

58 copies between July 28th and August 4th.

53 copies between August 4th and August 11th.

Most other weeks in the past six months only have about 5 to 45 copies.

Only 17 copies between August 11th and August 18th.

What grades?

What grades?

Takes a few seconds to load (every census update since... ever.): ;)http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/570

No.

July 10:

9.8 (347)

9.6 (941)

9.4 (874)

9.2 (515)

9.0 (361)

8.5 (259)

August 18:

9.8 (353) +6

9.6 (962) +21

9.4 (909) +35

9.2 (535) +20

9.0 (381) +20

8.5 (281) +22

That's 124 at CGC 8.5 or higher... and increase of 3.8% in the timeframe of 0.7% of the census.

I'm not sure a time frame percentage of the census make sense. I see an uptick in submissions that makes sense with the Star Wars mania going on right now. I don't see anything to support a hoard of 100 copies being submitted. I know 5 of those are mine.

I stumbled on a lot of #1's today and instantly thought of this thread. Even more so after speaking with the seller and being told he did submit some to CGC as his first time submission. I know it's been said that many people stocked up on these but if it is the same individual that would be a pretty big coincidence.

Yet the seller I spoke to stated they are part of his deceased fathers collection. Who knows, maybe this was an anti shill to slow to hurry up and buy them up element with people believing bulk after bulk were about to hit the census.

2 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

I never understood the appeal of this book. I hoarded it when it came out (maybe 25 copies?) but I remember thinking it was pretty bad at the time. I was a huge SW geek then too.

I wasn't yet a proud board member when this thread was posted  3 years ago. And I haven't read through all 13 pages. If anyone knows, was it ever confirmed which SW 1 that the OP was having 100 copies graded by the CGC?

Did he state "original" or "reprint" anywhere?

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I wasn't yet a proud board member when this thread was posted  3 years ago. And I haven't read through all 13 pages. If anyone knows, was it ever confirmed which SW 1 that the OP was having 100 copies graded by the CGC?

I think that there was a probably 100 (extra) copies bump in the CGC census with about 50 one week and another 50 the next... above and beyond the normal CGC traffic for this book, which were generally 9.2/9.4.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

I think that there was a probably 100 (extra) copies bump in the CGC census with about 50 one week and another 50 the next... above and beyond the normal CGC traffic for this book, which were generally 9.2/9.4.

Original #1, or the reprint #1. I ask because there was a find of a horde of double and triple bagged Marvel and DC Super-packs some time ago and  plenty of them had the Star Wars 1, 2, and 3 reprints in a bag. They were quite common for awhile.

17 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Original #1, or the reprint #1. I ask because there was a find of a horde of double and triple bagged Marvel and DC Super-packs some time ago and  plenty of them had the Star Wars 1, 2, and 3 reprints in a bag. They were quite common for awhile.

The original Star Wars #1 CGC Census saw the bump (back in 2015). There's no increase of Star Wars #1 reprint in the CGC Census which even comes close to 100 copies as any kind of horde submission.