• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic No. 1 Hoard

257 posts in this topic

I think I saw one graded 9,7 sell for 2 grand.

a 9.7 should sell for 20grand IMO :jokealert:

CGC has 9.4,9.6 and 9.8 grades (also 9.9 and 10.0)

If one of them comes back 10.0, be very happy.

lol

VERY good advice !

Thanks.

It might make for a good story to tell that I originally bought 500 of them.

Someone, and I dont remember now who it was, in the coin dealer community told me about the movie coming out in 1977 and said that there was a comic book coming out ahead of the movie and that I could probably double my money if if i bought them and sold them when the movie came out.

I ordered 500 through a comic book distributor, and i got a break on the price because of the qty. I paid 24 cents each.

I sold 100 a few weeks later at $3. each.then over the years, whenever a new S/W movie came out, I would sell a few issues. The last time I sold some about 6-8 yrs ago, I got around $13 to $17.

The I put the last hundred in safe storage. Then recently, hearing about the new movie, i decided to check out what that issue was doing on ebay. I think I saw one graded 9,7 sell for 2 grand. I crapped my pants and then went to dig them out of storage.

When I sent them to cgc, I opted for the 5 day express service on , what I considered the best 20 comics. CGC tells me they're shipping them to me on monday. The rest are in for 5-6 weeks.

Fortunately, I dont NEED to sell them. Maybe a few, then leave em in my will among my kids and grandkids.

I've had some good score in my coin business over the years, but this one is probably my best score. (if they grade out as high as i think they will)

Great buy for .20 cents each. Who knew that Star Wars was going to be the next Star Wars. I wish my 4 year old self had bought a few copies back then.

I have 100 Star Wars No. 1 Comics

They're all at CGC at this time for slabbing.

Anyone have any advice or comments regarding the liquidation of this hoard ?

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

I think you can now go on a private yacht trip with these 3 hunnies

This+message+will+self+destruct+in+5+seconds+_f9a903bec3a6e8c47e882762f6923aa9.gif

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

This+message+will+self+destruct+in+5+seconds+_f9a903bec3a6e8c47e882762f6923aa9.gif

:cloud9:

What do you guys think ?

:cloud9:

They have rhythm.

Would you mind sharing what you got for the 9.8 ?

I had one on eBay for a bit at $2000 or best offer for 30 days. This comic is very prone to manipulation. I only received a few offers, the high being $1200 or so although ones in auctions were as high as my buy it now option. Giving proof they were very manipulated. I have 100% feedback so it is not like mine was avoided for low feedback or negative feedback. I wound up selling them through direct sales locally for $1700 each.

The feedback here has been very wise. Trickle them out. It would have been wiser to trickle them onto the census but that's after the fact and I'm sure others have stock as you do. So it will rise greatly indeed but I suspect the sooner they are sold the better at this point.

A lot of talk about the census; do the "casual" CGC buyers check the census? Would they check it often enough to notice a rise -- especially if the grades are spread out?

I know I don't check the census before purchasing, just past sales and what is currently available at what price.

This is outside of a Star Wars fan who just wants a copy.