• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic No. 1 Hoard

257 posts in this topic

The advise here for trickling them out gradually over several venues is solid.

Also, I wouldn't worry about any negative repercussions of your 100 copies hitting the census all at once.

Every comic collector knows that this book (along with Peter Parker # 1) is as common as dirt and plentiful in high grade.

It still sells for increasingly absurd amounts and will continue to rise as the next six movies will simply increase the fan base for Star Wars memorabilia.

You're safe because ultimately Star Wars fans far outnumber comic book collectors.

+1

CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 = $2,000 each with 294 on the CGC census

CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 = $1,000 each with 584 on the CGC census

(half the price, but twice as many on the census)

This book is so ridiculously over valued it's not even funny.

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined.

Does that mean anyone paying more than $350-$400 for a CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 should have their head examined? hm

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined.

Does that mean CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 should sell for $350-$400? hm

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure supply AND demand decide the price of something on the open market. If someone will sell me one for $700, let me know I'll buy it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure supply AND demand decide the price of something on the open market. If someone will sell me one for $700, let me know I'll buy it.

Right... is it safe to say the demand for Star Wars is greater than the demand for Venom?

CGC 9.8 ASM #300 (Venom) sells for $1,000... so why would CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 sell for $700-$800 instead of $2,000?

$2,000 actually seems too low based on the supply, if Star Wars is indeed more important than Venom. hm

Right... is it safe to say the demand for Star Wars is greater than the demand for Venom?

CGC 9.8 ASM #300 (Venom) sells for $1,000... so why would CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 sell for $700-$800 instead of $2,000?

$2,000 actually seems too low based on the supply, if Star Wars is indeed more important than Venom. hm

Here's the thing though. A lot of people who grew up loving Star Wars are old enough to have bought their copies awhile ago for cheaper, or decided already they don't need the comic. Whereas a lot of people who grew up loving Venom are still trying to get theirs.

The people speculating on the Star Wars NOW are hoping that their love will be awakened and they'll want the comic.

Comparing CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 to CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 is interesting, because we know both books were heavily hoarded.

$1,000 for CGC 9.8 ASM #300, $2,000 for CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1.

But twice as many 9.8 on the CGC census for ASM #300 vs. Star Wars #1.

Seems like those books are even from the "supply times demand (price)" standpoint.

But ASM #300 is from 1988.

Star Wars #1 is from 1977.

Hulk 181 is from 1974.

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 is $12,000.

Is Star Wars as popular as Wolverine? hm

There are 1/3 as many CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 when compared to Star Wars #1.

Does that mean CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 should cost about 1/3 as much as CGC 9.8 Hulk #181?

If so, then CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 should be $4,000... relative to CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 at $12,000.

Possibly due to one being a new character for a comic book series rather than a series to help promote a movie. Or whatever the case was with the SW book and it being about a movie. As well if you collect SW you have millions of options of things to collect. If you want the best of the best for Venom you are lead to ASM 300, no?

Possibly due to one being a new character for a comic book series rather than a series to help promote a movie. Or whatever the case was with the SW book and it being about a movie. As well if you collect SW you have millions of options of things to collect. If you want the best of the best for Venom you are lead to ASM 300, no?

I think you're right about the options to collect. I think that's also why Hulk #181 is so much more valuable than Star Wars #1. There's only one "top Wolverine collectible". Hulk #180 is easily second, and that's also a comic.

For "top Star Wars collectible", there are many options beyond comics. Many Star Wars toys and movie posters cost more than Star Wars #1.

People who want the "best Star Wars collectible" have several options. It's a comic if you're wanting the best for Wolverine or Venom.

There is also something to be said for collectibles from the "first year of existence". A brand new item could be made now for any of these properties that costs $100,000+, but it would be decades after the introduction.

Here's the thing though. A lot of people who grew up loving Star Wars are old enough to have bought their copies awhile ago for cheaper, or decided already they don't need the comic. Whereas a lot of people who grew up loving Venom are still trying to get theirs.

The people speculating on the Star Wars NOW are hoping that their love will be awakened and they'll want the comic.

Where are you getting this information from? :screwy:

Does that mean anyone paying more than $350-$400 for a CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 should have their head examined? hm

meh.

There have already been six movies and the book was still had for five or six hundred dollars until less than a year ago. People didn't just suddenly realize there was a comic book adaptation out there that they had to have it any cost.

The difference now is that we are passing through an age of shamless and relentless shilling. It is books like this that people are referring to when they speak of a market crash and overly bloated speculative bubbles popping.

-J.

I have 100 Star Wars No. 1 Comics

They're all at CGC at this time for slabbing.

Anyone have any advice or comments regarding the liquidation of this hoard ?

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

What you should do is

1) NOT flood the census with high grade copies.

2) If you ignore #1, whatever you do, don't tell everyone that you are flooding the census with high grade copies.

3) Realize that you are entering the wonderful world of "diminishing returns". Whatever works for 1 copy or 5 copies becomes infinitely harder at 20 copies, exponentially harder for 50, and untenable at 100.

100 slabbed copies, if you actually want to maximize profits and not destroy the market, will take years to move. The only way to move faster is to spread them out...a couple copies on EBay....a couple to Heritage....a couple to MCS....a couple to CLink....and then travel to every single convention during convention season and sell a few each weekend.

Even then...unless you start giving them away at 1/2 GPA...you are looking at a very long term commitment.

No matter where you sell and how you sell don't let anyone (else) know how many you have. Nothing kills the deal on a collectible item faster than pulling one out of a case of 100 in front of a possible buyer.

Good advice. Have you told greggy this?

There have already been six movies and the book was still had for five or six hundred dollars until less than a year ago. People didn't just suddenly realize there was a comic book adaptation out there that they had to have it any cost.

The difference now is that we are passing through an age of shamless and relentless shilling. It is books like this that people are referring to when they speak of a market crash and overly bloated speculative bubbles popping.

Not sure... there are fewer than 300 copies of CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1... and 62 (GPA recorded) sales in the past 12 months. Marvel prints a new volume of Star Wars #1 and there are tens of thousands of buyers for the new books.

Is it possible that the new comics line from Marvel and the announcement of six new Star Wars movies in the next 6 years brought 100 new people to the 9.8 Star Wars #1 market? It will bring tens of millions to the theater, so would it bring 0.001% of those to the market?

If so, 100 new buyers competing for 62 copies over twelve months could easily triple the price. What if there are 500 buyers for those 300 copies? The prices wouldn't be falling anytime soon. If the census floods to 3,000 CGC 9.8 copies due to all these hoards, sure... expect the bubble to burst.

Not sure about 300... or even 500 copies at CGC 9.8. hm

Or... to put it another way... if New Mutants #98 can have 1,700 copies in CGC 9.8 (and it does) sell for $800 each (and it does)... and if there's a bubble anywhere in the market... I'm going to guess it's somewhere around NM #98. lol

Is Star Wars as popular as Wolverine? hm

Star Wars is more popular than any super hero, including Batman.

Right --- the only reason I can think that Star Wars #1 isn't already a more expensive book than it is would be that affluent Star Wars fans have very high priced 1977 toys and 1977 posters as "investment" (and nostalgia) options, too.

Not sure... there are fewer than 300 copies of CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1... and 62 (GPA recorded) sales in the past 12 months.

Marvel prints a new volume of Star Wars #1 and there are tens of thousands of buyers for the new books.

Is it possible that the announcement of six new Star Wars movies in the next 6 years brought 100 new people to the 9.8 Star Wars #1 market?

It will bring tens of millions to the theater, so would it bring 0.001% of those to the market?

If so, 100 new buyers competing for 62 copies could easily triple the price.

What if there are 500 buyers for those 300 copies? The prices wouldn't be falling anytime soon.

If the census floods to 3,000 CGC 9.8 copies due to all these hoards, sure... expect the bubble to burst.

If this is how simply the market worked then literally almost no price for a 9.8 copy would be "too high" (and fear not, there are far, far more than the 350, 9.8 copies out there than we see on the census now, which are already far, far more 9.8 copies than every other bona fide Bronze Age key).

When already we are observing strong resistance at even the $2000 level and even then, that price realized (almost exclusively) in obviously shilled ebay auctions/BINs that spike the GPA numbers and create a false "value" that is then supported by bandwagon collectors and panic buyers.

It is when those leave the market for a book that the "correction" will inevitably occur (as it always does).

This is, unfortunately, a sad reality of the market nowadays.

-J.

Right --- the only reason I can think that Star Wars #1 isn't already a more expensive book than it is would be that affluent Star Wars fans have very high priced 1977 toys and 1977 posters as "investment" (and nostalgia) options, too.

I agree with you 100%. Most high-grade 12-back MOC figures are the same price as a 9.8 SW #1. The SDCC pre-release poster, Birthday Poster, 1st mylar one-sheet, etc...are all more than a 9.8 SW #1.

There are literally hundreds of SW items more expensive for a "grail collectible." Hell, all the arcade/pinball machines in excellent condition are more cash.

Edited by Epic Peach

Not sure... there are fewer than 300 copies of CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1... and 62 (GPA recorded) sales in the past 12 months. Marvel prints a new volume of Star Wars #1 and there are tens of thousands of buyers for the new books.

Is it possible that the new comics line from Marvel and the announcement of six new Star Wars movies in the next 6 years brought 100 new people to the 9.8 Star Wars #1 market? It will bring tens of millions to the theater, so would it bring 0.001% of those to the market?

If so, 100 new buyers competing for 62 copies over twelve months could easily triple the price. What if there are 500 buyers for those 300 copies? The prices wouldn't be falling anytime soon. If the census floods to 3,000 CGC 9.8 copies due to all these hoards, sure... expect the bubble to burst.

Or... to put it another way... if New Mutants #98 can have 1,700 copies in CGC 9.8 (and it does) sell for $800 each (and it does)... and if there's a bubble anywhere in the market... I'm going to guess it's somewhere around NM #98. lol

Just a guess, but I have a feeling that none of his books is going grade above 9.0.