• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM Annual #1 Canadian Edition Club & Discussion Thread

73 posts in this topic

I do believe both pence editions and Canadian editions were printed at the same time as the standard versions. Most of what I have read before suggests a ratio of about 1:10 on the pence copies. The Canadian editions certainly seem to be more rare than that, but tough to say for sure. I really do think people put a premium on the $ pricing too, being US originated material and all.

I do believe both pence editions and Canadian editions were printed at the same time as the standard versions. Most of what I have read before suggests a ratio of about 1:10 on the pence copies. The Canadian editions certainly seem to be more rare than that, but tough to say for sure. I really do think people put a premium on the $ pricing too, being US originated material and all.

Besides the Pence & Canadian editions were there any other foreign editions printed at the same time as the US editions.

I think it's strange that Pence editions kept all the US ads and Canadian editions blanked some out.

The indicia of pence editions are slightly different than us editions, is that true of Canadian editions?

Edited by gadzukes

The indicia of pence editions are slightly different than us editions, is that true of Canadian editions?

I believe no, based on the FF Annual #2 with blank back and interior covers that I used to own.

I think it's strange that Pence editions kept all the US ads and Canadian editions blanked some out.

This is my argument from the previous thread.

I have always seen the blank cover editions described as Canadian. Certainly the "Blank" version ASM Annual # 2 that I owned back in the day was purchased off of the newsstand in Southern Ontario in 1965.

My hypothesis is that Martin Goodman saw an opportunity to increase ad revenue by offering cheap ads (production costs already being covered by the US versions) to Canadian advertisers.

Then he was caught off guard by a change in Canadian import law.

Split-RunPeriodicals_zpsfb6226be.jpg

This is only conjecture but the timing invites speculation.

Besides the Pence & Canadian editions were there any other foreign editions printed at the same time as the US editions.

Yes

La Prensa in Mexico published Marvel material for several years at or near same dates up until FF #1, then for some reason a lag kicked in (we dont know why). TTA 27 has same indica date as US version, but as you get into Hero era, the drift begins, but they also had to consolidate titles due to taxes etc to keep profitable. Similar scenario you had with ECs in 50s. So by 1965 Avengers might contain TTA, TOS, Thor and would pub weekly. Then around 1969 they split titles out. La Prensa published material contains very little advertising so they have fewer pages, but the paper quality is actual superior to the US versions until early 70s. These books were said to possibly have print runs much higher than US and dist to Spain, and all of South and Central America. The editors also did their own inking which I enjoy as much as seeing Severin.

Oh yeah! I just picked up another ASM Annual 1 Canadian on EBay!

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331893197541?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will post a good pic once I have it in hand. That's 2 CGC 2.5 copies for this guy. They just don't hit the market that often. I am very happy to pick this up. Hoarder alert.

I do not have a complete list of square bound Canadian Editions. The following are the books I am aware of. Others are encouraged to add to it!

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 and #2

Fantastic Four Annual #2 and #3

Journey Into Mystery Annual #1

Sgt. Fury Annual #1

Marvel Tales #1

I do not have a complete list of square bound Canadian Editions. The following are the books I am aware of. Others are encouraged to add to it!

Sgt. Fury Annual #1

Marvel Tales #1

No scan of the back cover but....

Marvel Tales #2

Sgt. Fury Annual #1

Marvel Tales #1

No scan of the back cover but....

Marvel Tales #2

...and another, with scans....

Millie The Model #3