• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Men In Black
1 1

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

$100 for 6.0 condition?  Wow! :flipbait:  (I think I have one of those... somewhere.) :grin:

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

I'm pretty sure I bought the TPB because I was afraid I wouldn't get all 3 of the originals.  Then I got all 3 of the originals... twice. lol

Wish I had your worries...

Wait..

I do!! :D

Edited by Aweandlorder

Ok, until I read this I thought the comics were a movie adaption, not the other way around. (Leetle comic; BEEG movie hit = easy confusion) I'm probably not alone in that error. So maybe that's why it gets so little love? (Rampant ignorance like mine?) (shrug)

On a related note for you guys, the bronze Gold Key series UFO Flying Saucers has a story in which men in black visit people. I remember being completely creeped out by it in my childhood. Great bargain series; all content adapted from UFO sighting apocrypha.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, Readcomix said:

Ok, until I read this I thought the comics were a movie adaption, not the other way around. (Leetle comic; BEEG movie hit = easy confusion) I'm probably not alone in that error. So maybe that's why it gets so little love? (Rampant ignorance like mine?) (shrug)

On a related note for you guys, the bronze Gold Key series UFO Flying Saucers has a story in which men in black visit people. I remember being completely creeped out by it in my childhood. Great bargain series; all content adapted from UFO sighting apocrypha.

Youre not the first one to not know that this blockbuster of a film was based on the comic book. 

Its amazing to me that the production crew of the film chose to adapt this book, especially at that time when comic book based characters weren't the status quo. This particular scenario teaches us alot about what happens so often today with licensed properties. The comic book was first optioned by Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald in 1992 2 years after the book came out (by 1992 there were ONLY two 3 book limited series published by Aircel/Malibu). But the story/concept probably resonated so strongly with the production crew that they pursued this film to perfection it seems, after rejecting a complete take by director Les Mayfield. 

I could never imagine this happening to a comic book in the 90s created by relatively unknown artist/writer, and published by a very independent publisher at the time. I wouldve loved to hear the producers source of inspiration. Did they read the comic themselves? did they know the writer/artist? Was there any agenda to adapting this comic to film other than its inspiring writing?

Wish there was a documentary about this

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 6:49 PM, oakman29 said:

Aweandlorder said:
A few of these sold pretty well this month:

The 50. 00 one I bought, and let me tell you it's alot better than 8.0. I would say it's 9.4/9.6. People see that one spine crease that is production related,and grade down for it.

Just judging from the scan it looks like 3/4 spine tics and a fugly bottom left cover, but I don't have it hand I can only judge from the pic.

On July 4, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Youre not the first one to not know that this blockbuster of a film was based on the comic book. 

Its amazing to me that the production crew of the film chose to adapt this book, especially at that time when comic book based characters weren't the status quo. This particular scenario teaches us alot about what happens so often today with licensed properties. The comic book was first optioned by Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald in 1992 2 years after the book came out (by 1992 there were ONLY two 3 book limited series published by Aircel/Malibu). But the story/concept probably resonated so strongly with the production crew that they pursued this film to perfection it seems, after rejecting a complete take by director Les Mayfield. 

I could never imagine this happening to a comic book in the 90s created by relatively unknown artist/writer, and published by a very independent publisher at the time. I wouldve loved to hear the producers source of inspiration. Did they read the comic themselves? did they know the writer/artist? Was there any agenda to adapting this comic to film other than its inspiring writing?

Wish there was a documentary about this

You know about Gray Barker?He published AL Bender's Book "The Men In Black" in the 50s. The comic came from that, I guess. (Never read the comic but am very familiar with Gray Barker)

Can share more if you're interested. 

On July 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM, NoMan said:

You know about Gray Barker?He published AL Bender's Book "The Men In Black" in the 50s. The comic came from that, I guess. (Never read the comic but am very familiar with Gray Barker)

Can share more if you're interested. 

I'm interested, please do.