• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Men In Black
1 1

91 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I'm interested, please do.

Gray Barker published UFO literature from his country outpost in Exchange, (outside of Clarksburg) West Virginia from 50s until his death in 1984. 

He published a book by Al Bender in 1955ish called "The Three Men" (something like that) that was about Bender (A self proclaimed UFO researcher) being visited by 3 men dressed in black claiming to be from the government (or another planet, can't remember) telling him he was too close to the truth about UFOs and to back off or else. They drove a black car, had black sun glasses, black suits, etc, etc, etc. Bender was so frightened that he abandoned the UFO field for good and disappeared never to speak of this experience again. I believe Bender, up to the point of being visited by The Men In Black, had some kinda UFO research club.

This was the first appearance in UFO lore of The Men In Black. 

Very interesting info, NoMan, thanks for sharing it.

It reminds me of a comedy episode of X-Files called "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," which included a scene with the same events you described, played out - I kid you not - with the two MIB appearing to look exactly like Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura.

3 hours ago, grebal said:

Very interesting info, NoMan, thanks for sharing it.

It reminds me of a comedy episode of X-Files called "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," which included a scene with the same events you described, played out - I kid you not - with the two MIB appearing to look exactly like Alex Trebek and Jesse Ventura.

Gray Barker also published  book called The Silver Bridge which was about a giant Mothman sighting in West Virginia before The Silver Bridge collapsed in the late 60s. This was made into a giant Hollywood film called The Mothman Prophesies with Richard Gear. Never saw the film but I believe there is a scene where Gear calls someone on the phone and it's Barker. 

Barker was an extremely interesting (and influential) cat. 

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Gray Barker published UFO literature from his country outpost in Exchange, (outside of Clarksburg) West Virginia from 50s until his death in 1984. 

He published a book by Al Bender in 1955ish called "The Three Men" (something like that) that was about Bender (A self proclaimed UFO researcher) being visited by 3 men dressed in black claiming to be from the government (or another planet, can't remember) telling him he was too close to the truth about UFOs and to back off or else. They drove a black car, had black sun glasses, black suits, etc, etc, etc. Bender was so frightened that he abandoned the UFO field for good and disappeared never to speak of this experience again. I believe Bender, up to the point of being visited by The Men In Black, had some kinda UFO research club.

This was the first appearance in UFO lore of The Men In Black. 

Thank you! I have heard vague versions of the origin of the men in black lore, but never these specifics. 

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Sparkle City had a bunch of harder to find books end yesterday. Some more overgraded than others.:gossip:

For anyone living in the Pacific Northwest, there is an on-going Marvel Comics and original comic art exhibit at MoPop museum. Also has sci-fi, horror and fantasy prop section including Hellboy and Men in Black props:

KptY3NI.jpg