• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Heritage site is live!

33 posts in this topic

Without digging a bunch further, I'm happy with the update. It used to be that when you opened up the Genre list in the left frame and then drilled into a Genre, and then clicked Back after you were done, the Genre list would be collapsed again. I can't tell you how much I hated that. Now it's open to display all the Genres as it dang well should. One extra click means a lot to users - well, this user anyway!

I only gave it a quick once over, but I think it's pretty good. You made the right decision to go with a responsive design, this will definitely make it easier for users on mobile devices to navigate your site (which is really important now a days) and your site fits the mobile first philosophy well.

I don't like the way the "Refine" button works in the mobile size however. The way it goes from being a button to a list is a little jarring. Additionally you have set a certain user expectation when you allow someone to click something to expand it but they can't click that same area to collapse it (instead you have to click a link at the bottom of the refinement options (it's cool that you are using endeca though, we use that where I work as well)).

I have a similar complaint about the global "Department" and "My Heritage" navigation elements. When I click them in the mobile format you overlay the whole screen with the menu. Personally I prefer something that expands or perhaps a slide-out menu. These methods make it so the user knows that they are still in the same place and they don't make the mistake of thinking they have been whisked off to some other page.

At mobile screen size when I view the details on a lot the "Search" button is still visible, but with no way to enter a search. If I click it you basically just take me to a default search. You will definitely want to fix this.

There are a couple bugs when you scale from the mobile to desktop view as well. Things like rollover menus don't always disable when they should.

I didn't get a chance to do any performance testing. Responsive web sites are great, however they can be performance nightmares. Hopefully you've used best practices to mitigate this.

I'm obviously coming at this from a web design and usability perspective more so than an auction user perspective though, so I'm not sure if anything I've said is all that helpful to you.

Again, I think you guys did a pretty good job here. It's nice to see you are investing in the future and not just letting your site fall behind with the age old attitude of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That will only get you so far on the web.

(sorry for the wall of text)

Without digging a bunch further, I'm happy with the update. It used to be that when you opened up the Genre list in the left frame and then drilled into a Genre, and then clicked Back after you were done, the Genre list would be collapsed again. I can't tell you how much I hated that. Now it's open to display all the Genres as it dang well should. One extra click means a lot to users - well, this user anyway!

For me the on the old site, the Genre list was always open, now every time I click back it goes to the collapsed Genre and I have to click to open it back up again. That drives me crazy. :insane:

I’m not digging it. It’s harder to read and I’m looking at it on a large desktop monitor. I imagine over time I’ll get used to it though.

Like so many web site changes, no change in functionality, just a different look, that will take time for users to get used to.

I don't get the point of it, except change for change's sake. And employment for web designers.

More mobile friendly.

The future is smartphones and iPads, not laptops and PCs.

I’m not digging it. It’s harder to read and I’m looking at it on a large desktop monitor. I imagine over time I’ll get used to it though.

Like so many web site changes, no change in functionality, just a different look, that will take time for users to get used to.

I don't get the point of it, except change for change's sake. And employment for web designers.

More mobile friendly.

Which begs the question, when it comes to winning an auction and not getting outbid before the time runs out. Is it better to use a hardlined computer or a networked tablet/phone?

On top of that is it better to use the cellular network or wifi?

When ordering concert tickets, I have had a lot of success using the cellular network but I have more success using the computer network when bidding on an auction.

What will the future bring?

More mobile friendly.

Which begs the question, when it comes to winning an auction and not getting outbid before the time runs out. Is it better to use a hardlined computer or a networked tablet/phone?

On top of that is it better to use the cellular network or wifi?

When ordering concert tickets, I have had a lot of success using the cellular network but I have more success using the computer network when bidding on an auction.

What will the future bring?

hm

We are listening to your feedback. We've made the following tweaks for people using full-sized browsers:

On the closeup page, the bid/price overlay at the bottom of the page is now much smaller by default. If you mouse over it, it will rise, allowing you to place bids.

On the item pages, we have switched the locations of the item description and the auction information. The item description is now immediately under the bid box.

Most likely on Monday, we will significantly increase the sizes of the thumbnail images on the search page in List View. Further improvements are also underway.

Thank you for all your input!

We are listening to your feedback. We've made the following tweaks for people using full-sized browsers:

On the closeup page, the bid/price overlay at the bottom of the page is now much smaller by default. If you mouse over it, it will rise, allowing you to place bids.

On the item pages, we have switched the locations of the item description and the auction information. The item description is now immediately under the bid box.

Most likely on Monday, we will significantly increase the sizes of the thumbnail images on the search page in List View. Further improvements are also underway.

Thank you for all your input!

How about making a change that's truly functional?

Like having the books in a title in real order, not 199, 2, 200...299, 3....