• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If one of the boardies.....

26 posts in this topic

Any idea why the Alan Light reprints are not included in the Overstreet guide when a lot of other less known reprints from other publishers are? ???

I saw this within the first hour it was posted. I was completely ON THE FENCE over whether to go for it.

The cropping of the image did not match the comics in the Heritage archives. It's cropped in a bit close.

Also, the way the seller wrote "High Grade COPY" in the subject title made me think he was trying to lawyer his way out of disclosing that it was a reprint.

I asked a question about why the word "COPY" was in all-caps, and the seller was additionally vague about whether it was a reprint. Then he changed the listing from a BIN to an auction. Not long after that, he claimed somebody made him an offer and he canceled the listing.

I felt like a for not going for it, but I think the seller realized people were onto his scam and decided to back out and create a cover story for why he pulled it.

I'm glad I held back. Even though eBay's seller protection would have allowed for a return, it's still a waste of time to have to go through all that just to recoup money from a seller who is trying to pull a fast one.

Any idea why the Alan Light reprints are not included in the Overstreet guide when a lot of other less known reprints from other publishers are? ???

Maybe the line was overlooked as a lot of small press items have been by Overstreet over the years.

(shrug)

Our message exchange from before the eBay listing was pulled:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: comictoydaze

Subject: Details about item: doohickamabob sent a message about DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER #1 VF- (7.5) WHITE PAGES ***High Grade COPY*** #141719967744

Sent Date: Jul-15-15 22:16:47 PDT

Dear comictoydaze,

Is your Daredevil Battles Hitler a high grade 'copy' or a high grade copy? That is, are you selling a reprint ('copy') or the original? It is very unclear in your listing. Please let me know. If it's a 'copy' then you are misleading people.

- doohickamabob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear doohickamabob,

This is a high grade copy of a first edition. Do I need to add additional statements to the auction? I have revised the auction as it was pointed out to me that this book is more valuable.

- comictoydaze

Dear comictoydaze,

Hi there again, I am still a little confused by your answer. You said it is a high-grade copy of a first edition. I just want to make sure that when you say 'copy' you don't mean 'reprint.' (Your listing says 'High Grade COPY' with the word 'copy' in all-caps, and that made me suspect you were selling a reprint.) To confirm, are you saying this is the original, printed in 1941? Please let me know. Thank you.

- doohickamabob

Dear doohickamabob,

HI, I am sorry for any confusion. This book was printed in 1941, but I got such a great offer last night, I had to sell it outright. Thank you so much for the interest. I did VERY well in the sale. I appreciate your interest.

KW.

- comictoydaze

Subject: Details about item: doohickamabob sent a message about DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER #1 VF- (7.5) WHITE PAGES ***High Grade COPY*** #141719967744

Dear comictoydaze,

Is your Daredevil Battles Hitler a high grade 'copy' or a high grade copy? That is, are you selling a reprint ('copy') or the original? It is very unclear in your listing. Please let me know. If it's a 'copy' then you are misleading people.

- doohickamabob

Dear doohickamabob,

This is a high grade copy of a first edition. Do I need to add additional statements to the auction? I have revised the auction as it was pointed out to me that this book is more valuable.

- comictoydaze

Dear comictoydaze,

Hi there again, I am still a little confused by your answer. You said it is a high-grade copy of a first edition. I just want to make sure that when you say 'copy' you don't mean 'reprint.' (Your listing says 'High Grade COPY' with the word 'copy' in all-caps, and that made me suspect you were selling a reprint.) To confirm, are you saying this is the original, printed in 1941? Please let me know. Thank you.

- doohickamabob

Dear doohickamabob,

HI, I am sorry for any confusion. This book was printed in 1941, but I got such a great offer last night, I had to sell it outright. Thank you so much for the interest. I did VERY well in the sale. I appreciate your interest.

KW.

- comictoydaze

Better question would have been "are the insides black and white? or color?"

Dear comictoydaze,

- doohickamabob

Dear doohickamabob,

- comictoydaze

Dear comictoydaze,

- doohickamabob

Dear doohickamabob,

KW.

- comictoydaze

Better question would have been "are the insides black and white? or color?"

First thing that crossed my mind. Can't believe Doohick didn't think of it. :baiting:

I think the buyer just bought a very expensive Flashback

two things potentially wrong with this statement...

you "know" (don't have to think) and was there really a buyer hm

Just emailed him out of curiosity asking if the interior pages were B&W and here is the response he just sent me:

"I am real tired of defending this item to every one that is accusing me of trying to sell a reprint on Ebay. The item is legit, I know the difference between a reprint and an original. I took an offline offer of 6K for it, but since they have not paid, I am voiding the sale and having the book sent to CGC and I will be relisting it in a month as I have been informed that I could make as much as 20K."

I checked the guy's feedback and he has sold vintage EC's. It must not have occurred to him that an older superhero comic might be worth something...hmmm

Just emailed him out of curiosity asking if the interior pages were B&W and here is the response he just sent me:

"I am real tired of defending this item to every one that is accusing me of trying to sell a reprint on Ebay. The item is legit, I know the difference between a reprint and an original. I took an offline offer of 6K for it, but since they have not paid, I am voiding the sale and having the book sent to CGC and I will be relisting it in a month as I have been informed that I could make as much as 20K."

I checked the guy's feedback and he has sold vintage EC's. It must not have occurred to him that an older superhero comic might be worth something...hmmm

If he knew the differences he would have posted an interior shot.

He could conceivably have a real copy but he could also be covering his arse in case it was a fake.

It seems to me pretty clear from the kind of paper that it's the reprint.

Not only the whiteness, but the "texture", the thickness and everything else, and above all, no way even the whitest of the whitest cover from a 1941 Daredevil would have such a white point.

The guy is digging a hole... I think he wanted to scam somebody for $200 and figured it would be easy money and nobody would know. Now he's finding out that there's a whole comics community who compare notes and his reputation could be permanently damaged. Oops.

By the way, can anybody tell me how to spot the reprint based on the cover image? At least the Famous Firsts had tiny but distinct differences. So far all I'm hearing is that the interior pages are black and white, and the paper texture and quality of printing are the only things to go on.

I spent a while comparing the covers of the eBayer's copy and the copies in the Heritage archives. I noticed that the eBayer's copy is cropped very close such that the words at the bottom (under the black box) are completely cut off, and Hitler's ear is mostly cropped off. Some of the ink shades are different too (but lighting of the photo makes it hard to use that for confirmation). I wish there were more to go on than that.

156612.jpg.da3acf5fc06149e6fc92156247b1c763.jpg

If he knew the differences he would have posted an interior shot.

He could conceivably have a real copy but he could also be covering his arse in case it was a fake.

Or he could've just answered the question rather than send another lengthy screed explaining his outrage.