• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Listing going up for Amazing spiderman #90 PGA 9.6 this weekend.

57 posts in this topic

In hindsight I shouldn't have listed the post so prominantly. Steve rightfully took "offense".

Back to your comment....

This book could be a very good flip for someone. I agree that CGC will achieve the higher dollar values for graded items.

What other things are you referring to?

Restoration detection? Better graders? Harder graders? Easier graders so the books "are worth more"?

The comics is still listed on ebay, Just no link from the boards. I did not tag line it with "not CGC" for the searches. I just figured people who were interested would find it.

In hindsight I shouldn't have listed the post so prominantly. Steve rightfully took "offense".

Back to your comment....

This book could be a very good flip for someone. I agree that CGC will achieve the higher dollar values for graded items.

Restoration detection? Better graders? Harder graders? Easier graders so the books "are worth more"?

The comics is still listed on ebay, Just no link from the boards. I did not tag line it with "not CGC" for the searches. I just figured people who were interested would find it.

From my experience there are two reasons that you are better off with CGC. Although I like the actual PGX product, you are likely to get a more accurately graded book when submitting high grades to CGC. Thus a CGC book (not always, but on average) may produce a 0.2 or even a 0.4 notch higher on 9.0 and above books. PLUS, some people will not even bid on PGX books for several reasons. They want to keep all their slabs consistant by staying with the same grading company, they don't trust any other grading company besides CGC, they feel as if it may be a restored book that PGX didn't catch or who knows what else.

But I do know from my own experience that high grade books I have submitted to CGG/PGA have been resubmitted by myself and others to CGC and have come back with higher grades. Only time I ever resubmitted and received a lower grade by CGC was when I had resubmitted a book I bought from Terence Leder (TDComics). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Only in THAT case did my CGG 8.5 turn into a CGC 7.5. All other examples came back the same grade or higher when resubbed to CGC.

I am guessing that PGX may be better in catching resto now than they used to, so for that reason I can understand buying a PGX book as a flipping candidate, but I would not recommend them anymore to those submitters seeking an accurate grade on their high grade books.

Back to your comment....

From my experience there are two reasons that you are better off with CGC. Although I like the actual PGX product, you are likely to get a more accurately graded book when submitting high grades to CGC. Thus a CGC book (not always, but on average) may produce a 0.2 or even a 0.4 notch higher on 9.0 and above books. PLUS, some people will not even bid on PGX books for several reasons. They want to keep all their slabs consistant by staying with the same grading company, they don't trust any other grading company besides CGC, they feel as if it may be a restored book that PGX didn't catch or who knows what else.

But I do know from my own experience that high grade books I have submitted to CGG/PGA have been resubmitted by myself and others to CGC and have come back with higher grades. Only time I ever resubmitted and received a lower grade by CGC was when I had resubmitted a book I bought from Terence Leder (TDComics). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Only in THAT case did my CGG 8.5 turn into a CGC 7.5. All other examples came back the same grade or higher when resubbed to CGC.

I am guessing that PGX may be better in catching resto now than they used to, so for that reason I can understand buying a PGX book as a flipping candidate, but I would not recommend them anymore to those submitters seeking an accurate grade on their high grade books.

I like the way CGC 'accurately' grades books better than PGX much of the time also. confused-smiley-013.gif PGX looks at the book and finds all the defects which then reflects on the grade rather than just giving books a 'label' grade which may or may not reflect the true grade of the book in the holder.

CGC is great for the seller cloud9.gif, not always so much for the buyer. 893censored-thumb.gif

My suggestion to PGX is to sell-out, stop grading accurately and you'll grow much quicker. I realize this reads as being very sarcastic but I am half serious. CGC has softened up the market for this type of grading that allows books to get very high grades and I see it being difficult for any other company to break into the market w/o doing the same thing.

Oh well, at least PGX has a holder that doesn't damage books. Just saw another SCS book on the stl boards. It was only a CGC Iron Man #1 9.8, which would now be lucky to be a 9.2

Hey Steve, love that professional image you put off concerning competition in the market. 27_laughing.gif

There is no posting these kind of "comics" on OUR boards, take it to their boards. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Thanks! flowerred.gif

Tell me your not serious Steve.

The blurb under "The Market Place":

A message board for the purpose of buying, selling and trading comics between members. No anonymous posting is allowed. We do not monitor buys and sells and provide this board only as a requested service. Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction. Messages expire after 12 days.

No place do I see link all the auctions you want. I check here for books for sale. If I wanna bid on a book I'll search e-bay. I don't need a link for someone pimpn' their books. Where's the "There is no posting these kind of "comics" on OUR boards" do it on the e-bay comic forum.

sign-rantpost.gif

There is no posting these kind of "comics" on OUR boards, take it to their boards. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Thanks! flowerred.gif

Tell me your not serious Steve.

The blurb under "The Market Place":

A message board for the purpose of buying, selling and trading comics between members. No anonymous posting is allowed. We do not monitor buys and sells and provide this board only as a requested service. Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction. Messages expire after 12 days.

No place do I see link all the auctions you want. I check here for books for sale. If I wanna bid on a book I'll search e-bay. I don't need a link for someone pimpn' their books. Where's the "There is no posting these kind of "comics" on OUR boards" do it on the e-bay comic forum.

sign-rantpost.gif

Would McDonald's allow a little Burger King kiosk set up on McD's property selling BK burgers? I don't think so. Nor would McD's allow any innocent bystander try to unload BK burgers inside their restaurant. You get the picture. All Steve is saying is that list what you want, but please don't use OUR boards to promote the sale of our (albeit very minor) competition. I'm pretty sure other businesses have the same policy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like the way CGC 'accurately' grades books better than PGX much of the time also. confused-smiley-013.gif PGX looks at the book and finds all the defects which then reflects on the grade rather than just giving books a 'label' grade which may or may not reflect the true grade of the book in the holder.

CGC is great for the seller cloud9.gif, not always so much for the buyer. 893censored-thumb.gif

My suggestion to PGX is to sell-out, stop grading accurately and you'll grow much quicker. I realize this reads as being very sarcastic but I am half serious. CGC has softened up the market for this type of grading that allows books to get very high grades and I see it being difficult for any other company to break into the market w/o doing the same thing.

Oh well, at least PGX has a holder that doesn't damage books. Just saw another SCS book on the stl boards. It was only a CGC Iron Man #1 9.8, which would now be lucky to be a 9.2

Hey Steve, love that professional image you put off concerning competition in the market. 27_laughing.gif

C'mon Daniel (or other PGX guy) I met you and you seem like a nice guy. But let's stop with the shills already. First it was Michael JC, now it is "the guy". I understand that PGX deserves a voice but because of CGC's understandable rules, this is not the place to do it. We can see through the shills here, we may be comic geeks, but we are not insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (at least most of us anyway crazy.gif).

C'mon Daniel (or other PGX guy)

I hope your not refering to me cause I am no shill and if you believe so you are a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I have no problem with Steve not wanting the competitor's (if u can call it that) books posted here. My underlying point was simply if this were "A message board for the purpose of buying, selling and trading comics between members." e-bay links would be outcast as well. However, I can see why Steve would let it slide as all books are censored to be CGC and that after all puts the "mustard" on his bun.

I have no problem with Steve not wanting the competitor's (if u can call it that) books posted here. My underlying point was simply if this were "A message board for the purpose of buying, selling and trading comics between members." e-bay links would be outcast as well. However, I can see why Steve would let it slide as all books are censored to be CGC and that after all puts the "mustard" on his bun.

This is pure bullsh1t. You don't go to someone's table at a con and start hawking your comics to his customers. Common sense, for those with it, suggests CGC doesn't have to spell these things out...

Jim

OK,

Looks like everyone has gotten all riled up. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for taking my "your in trouble thread" and making it an entertaining read. devil.gif

There are now two new postings for PGX comics on the marketplace board...no not mine...mine are all PGA....go get em guys...and gals if there are any on the board. poke2.gif

popcorn.gif

My bad. Guess I should check who you replied to before responding. foreheadslap.gif

flowerred.gif

Hey, no problem. There is no doubt in my mind though that "theguy" is PGX at large, especially because of his quote:

" CGC has softened up the market for this type of grading that allows books to get very high grades and I see it being difficult for any other company to break into the market w/o doing the same thing. ."

If THAT doesn't sound like PGX then I don't know what does. Why would any legit Forum member say something like that? Not to mention that this was from theguy's FIRST post.

My suggestion to PGX is to sell-out, stop grading accurately and you'll grow much quicker. I realize this reads as being very sarcastic but I am half serious.

actually, it reads as being very stupid. why not just divest themselves of any pretense of credibility, if they're going to do this?

people who talk smack about a company on the message boards of that very same company either have an excess of hubris, a lack of manners, or a combination of the two

Back to your comment....

Honestly I like the PGX holder, but I just can't deal with their dishonesty.

I don't know if dishonesty is the right word for it. I still question PGX's relationship with at least one (maybe more) Oregon dealers, but other than that, it is more a question of a lack of good business skills and this shilling that I don't like.

Yeah, I like their holders too, and their speedy service and fair pricing is great, but the high end grading, and much of just the way they do business has recently soured me. I wish all competitors into this market good luck, but only those who have really good business skills, and a professional way of dealing with their distractors are going to thrive in the long run.

In addition to that, in this business public perception is everything. How the general public sees PGX (or any small CGC competitor) is going to dictate (generally speaking - there are always exceptions) how well these PGX graded books sell. After slabbing and selling both company's books now for over a year, I can really see first hand how well books by both companies are received. When adding all the positives and negatives together of both companies, it is apparent to me that CGC is the way to go now with all my submissions. But I can understand how PGX may still be suitable for some people that are not so concerned about selling their books and are not that picky about the given grade.

PGX doctored that photo and lied about missing restoration. They've missed at least 6 books.

My book was one of them.

In their interview they said they never had a problem.

"I have not heard of a single book that we have missed restoration on since he has joined the team."

If they missed the resto and admited it, then that would be fine. I can handle a mistake. Even a couple mistakes.

Also if they felt they were never wrong they could easily proven themselves by sending the book to another party. Instead they lied about the whole thing. Steve also has a CGG/PGA/PGX book still slabbed with missed resto.

Have you reslabbed that DC 100 you got from TDcomix poke2.gif

PGX doctored that photo and lied about missing restoration. They've missed at least 6 books.

My book was one of them.

"I have not heard of a single book that we have missed restoration on since he has joined the team."

If they missed the resto and admited it, then that would be fine. I can handle a mistake. Even a couple mistakes.

Also if they felt they were never wrong they could easily proven themselves by sending the book to another party. Instead they lied about the whole thing. Steve also has a CGG/PGA/PGX book still slabbed with missed resto.

As I understood what Daniel said, he was saying that they haven't missed resto on any books since they hired that Donovan guy in June 2004. I don't know whether that claim is actually true or not. confused-smiley-013.gif

My book was one of them.

Yes, that was the book I spoke about above. A DC 100-Page Super Specacular #4 that I bought from Terence Leder (TDcomics) at CGG 8.5. Came back at CGC 7.5 PLOD w/minor CT on the cover. I actually forgive them for the missed resto as this book was graded early on in the life of CGG, or at least right after they started using the hard outer shell. I wish that I saved a scan or the old CGG label but I didn't. I could scan in the CGC graded book but that wouldn't help by itself. But what stands out to me is that this is the only book that I am aware of from my own experiences that CGC graded considerably lower than CGG did. Although it is just a theory, all that I can assume is that CGG has been very generous with TD's grades. confused-smiley-013.gif