• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All books pre- June 1938
3 3

279 posts in this topic

This might be strange to some of you, but I'm excited to get this book :) I've seen a few over the years but never owned one ..... until now :) 1935!!!

donald%20duck%20nn%20front_zps9ohrij36.jpg

donald%20duck%20nn%20back_zps2o9cbcyw.jpg

Through my conversations with Yellow Kid, whom I had the pleasure of visiting again last week, I've come to realize how important a year 1935 was for Disney publications. Hal Horne invested a lot of his own money in the third Mickey Mouse Magazine with the support of Walt and Roy Disney and Kay Kaymen. A very deliberate decision must have been made, most likely to the credit of Kamen, to put more emphasis on and improve the quality of the children's books and magazines. On that background, I've earned new respect for this particular book, the first devoted to a key character, as it coincides with the exact time of a very important new direction that proved to be hugely important for Disney. The 1936 "Donald Duck" is really a handsome volume, and I think the transition between these two books marks a very important historical event.

I've never liked the term "key issue" when talking about the history of comics as I see that process mostly as a slow evolution of trial and error iterations. Even books like Action 1 and Detective 27 were far from brilliant strokes of genius that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. In terms of Disney books, however, I think that this book, as part of a sweeping change that is reflected in publications from a brief window of time starting around the summer of 1935, marks a change of an importance that I had not fully appreciated until recently. It's still an evolutionary change, but it is about as close to a revolutionary one as I can think of.

This might be strange to some of you, but I'm excited to get this book :) I've seen a few over the years but never owned one ..... until now :) 1935!!!

Great book and the More Fun isn't bad either!

Have the inside front cover shot of this. Does that count.?

detective15.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS (worship)

Have the inside front cover shot of this. Does that count.?

<a  href=Action1_zps5530974b.jpg' alt='Action1_zp

Why isn't this book worth a half-million dollars? (at least!) Wow!

SCAN0220_zpskzfgocc0.jpg

Is this Phantom book not from early 1939? ???

If you are looking for a pre-June 1938 Phantom book, you should probably go to his first comic book appearance in Ace Comics #11 which had a cover date of February 1938. :gossip:

These are very cool! :applause:

And the GA Forum has been used for posting any GA comic whether produced in the US or elsewhere.

I know this was probably meant for american books alone, but here’s just a sample of early italian Disney books in "comic book" format. All prior to 1938. :)

M4g6tdqh.jpg

Classic. I would love to won a copy.

Thanks much sir! If I happen to see another, I'll p.m. ya for sure :)

Through my conversations with Yellow Kid, whom I had the pleasure of visiting again last week, I've come to realize how important a year 1935 was for Disney publications. Hal Horne invested a lot of his own money in the third Mickey Mouse Magazine with the support of Walt and Roy Disney and Kay Kaymen. A very deliberate decision must have been made, most likely to the credit of Kamen, to put more emphasis on and improve the quality of the children's books and magazines. On that background, I've earned new respect for this particular book, the first devoted to a key character, as it coincides with the exact time of a very important new direction that proved to be hugely important for Disney. The 1936 "Donald Duck" is really a handsome volume, and I think the transition between these two books marks a very important historical event.

I've never liked the term "key issue" when talking about the history of comics as I see that process mostly as a slow evolution of trial and error iterations. Even books like Action 1 and Detective 27 were far from brilliant strokes of genius that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. In terms of Disney books, however, I think that this book, as part of a sweeping change that is reflected in publications from a brief window of time starting around the summer of 1935, marks a change of an importance that I had not fully appreciated until recently. It's still an evolutionary change, but it is about as close to a revolutionary one as I can think of.

WOW, that's an awesome knowledge drop that I was completely unaware of!! Thank you so much for sharing that information!!

That Detective #15 is just… wonderful. :cloud9:

Since the italian Disney have been appreciated (and very interesting bits of original US Disney publishing history as well: our own is a true adventure) here’s issue #2 of "Nel Regno di Topolino" ("Mickey’s Kingdom"), the antology series which I have posted other issues of. This is the earliest issue that I have and it’s from June 1935.

Here’s the publication's full chronology from the INDUCKS database:

https://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=it/NRT&redirected=1

mkzTDNDh.jpg

Some of the issues (including #1) were published in landscape (and not the average comic book) format, such this one, #32, one of the few I have, from February 1937.

This one presents in italian the sunday pages "The Further Adventures of the Three Little Pigs!" by Ted Osborne and Al Taliaferro:

https://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=ZS+3601

78X7v7Hh.jpg

P.S. The landscape ones are pretty pricey, especially the last ones (series lasted 95 issues) with issue #92 being quite a "grail" for italian collectors – also one of the few issue representing early italian material reprinted from the Disney-Mondadori journals (in this case: "Snow White and the Sorcerer Basilisk", the very first Snow White follow-up story written by Federico Pedrocchi with art by Nino Pagot):

https://coa.inducks.org/issue.php?c=it%2FNRT++92

Love it!

I know this was probably meant for american books alone, but here’s just a sample of early italian Disney books in "comic book" format. All prior to 1938. :)

M4g6tdqm.jpg

This one actually is from another series, which presented full stories from the dailies, "Gli Albi d'Oro": much costly and in a slightly larger format (halfway a comic book and a magazine). It lasted from 1937 up to 1940. Here’s the INDUCKS page:

https://coa.inducks.org/publication.php?c=it/AOA

I just sold it, as I had few issues (I still have #3). These in nice shape go for $250-350, the last ones for more as they are scarce.

Classic. I would love to won a copy.

The first italian apperance of Donald Duck in comic book (but it’s a reprint, as the Silly Symphony originally appeared in the Disney journals, "Topolino" I believe) is in Nel Regno di Topolino #8, from September 1935.

Inside the comic is printed in two colors (black and red).

RugJZQDh.jpg

WOW, that's an awesome knowledge drop that I was completely unaware of!! Thank you so much for sharing that information!!

+1!

Really informative commentary with great historical perspective!

1899 (thumbs u

0175403001_1200.jpg

Wow, I was not even aware that CGC would grade books from the Victorian Age. :o

Can't even seem to find it under the Victorian Age listings in the Overstreet guide. (shrug)

That must be one of the earliest graded books out there since it is from 1899. :applause: