• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Month in the Life of the Comics
4 4

670 posts in this topic

Oh and before someone mentions the following: Young Love's hiatus from Prize to DC was: last Prize is December 1956 and first DC is Sept-Oct 1963.

Which leaves me to re-check on Young Romance and see if we need to disqualify it for too long a hiatus. I was swayed by Donut (? I think) on adding this one.

Checking the OS instead of the GCD, Young Romance went uninterrupted for the whole period and it seems the same for Young Love.

CBG 1602 shows June 1972 Treasure Chest is v. 27 # 7 with the note that the cover states Summer

CBG 1598 shows March of Comics for March 1952 is # 81: Oswald the Rabbit and for June 1972 is # 370: Lassie. Generally I see the Gene Autry and Roy Rogers March of Comics for sale but I have never seen this Oswald the Rabbit one. Any dealer keeps these in inventory?

# 3

Airboy by Hillman Vol. 9 # 2 - Bought from BedRock City at Chicago Con in 2003

729881-AirBoys.jpg

Here's the content:

Valkyrie Strikes again by Ernest Schroeder 13 pgs

A Man's Best Friend by Mort Lawrence 6 pgs

The Faceless American by Bill Ely 6 pgs

You've got to keep driving by John Daly 5 pgs

The killer "Croc" by ? 4 pgs

The Heap by Ernest Schroeder 7 pgs

For an interview with Ernie Schroeder, check out AE # 12 at:

AE 42

Notice that this a 52 pagers. Most books by this time had already decreased page count to 36, hence the mention on the cover of the 52 page length. To check out the evolution of the page count, see the Keltner index link at the bottom of the AE 42 page link above. Airboy itself was an enduring title with a total all said of 111 issues if you count the original Air Fighters issues. There were a total of 89 issues titled Airboy.

729881-AirBoys.jpg.8b0479528ad41588f2f37684c1f6bc49.jpg

# 4

All-American Western 124 - Bought at last year's San Diego con.

730874-AllAmerican124s.jpg

Contents:

The Iron Horse's Last Run! by Alex Toth 6 pgs featuring John Tane aka Johnny Thunder

The Bushwacked Baggage by Gil Kane 6 pgs featuring Tony Barrett, owner of the Overland Coach

Six-Gun Showdown by Irwin Hasen 6 pgs featuring Harmony Hayes, the Minstrel Maverick

Terror on the Telegraphed Trail by Carmine Infantino 6 pgs. featuring Lt. Dan Foley

Yes, these reviled Westerns with a line-up of Toth, Kane, Hasen and Infantino takeit.gif

Useless Trivia: I am running an equine roster from our favorite western idols, so far:

Tim Holt aka Red Mask's horse is Lightning

Ghost Rider's horse is Spectre

Johnny Mack Brown's horse is Rebel

Black Diamond's horse is Reliapon

Bob Colt's horse is Buckskin

Bob Steele's horse is Bullett

Cisco Kid's horse is Diablo

Pancho's horse is Loco

Tex Rainger's horse is Calico (in Firehair Comics)

Zane Grey's horse is Rogue

Wyoming Kid's horse is Racer

Rodeo Rick's horse is Comet

Gene Autry's horse is Champion

Sandy McBane's horse is Boy

Hopalong Cassidy's horse is Topper

Smiley Burnette's horse is Ring Eye

Johnny Thunder's horse is Black Lightnin'

Rocky Lane's horse is Black Jack

Lone Rider's horse is Lightnin'

Apache Kid's horse is Nightwind

Tex Ritter's horse is White Flash

More to come ... I wonder if they checked other names, we came close here already with the multiple Lightnin', Black Lightnin' and Lightning. Maybe they are related. But Reliapon confused.gif Not one of Biro finest's creation (if indeed, Biro scripted those)

730874-AllAmerican124s.jpg.885f03bb3ad7af9e056c5aa11c474a8b.jpg

I've posted this before as far as displaying the collection but some of you might not have seen it.

728247-Displays.jpg

I looked into finding a spinning rack but didn't have much luck. I still keep an eye out for one though.

Sell the furniture, buy more comics!

The room looks great. Are you in the room much? Are you concerned about your comics fading?

Not worried about fading much. This is in the basement so ambient light is minimal and the lights appear much worse in the scans than they are. I put the romances and westerns the closest to the lights anyway. Plus considering the average grade of the collection, I don't think I can do much more to harm their condition.

The computer is on the other side of the room so I am down there a lot + my job has me reading a lot so at times I go down away from all noise and enjoy the room. As far as furniture, well ... I had no choice / say in this as my wife insisted we dress up the shelves (which means furniture and more furniture).

# 5

All True Crime Cases 49 (Continued from Official True Crime whose numbering started at 24 in Fall 1947) - Purchased from Southern California Comics listed as a Fine.

731823-AllTrueCrime49s.jpg

Contents:

9532 Squeeze-Play by Vern Henkel 5 pgs.

9396 The Prisoners by Jack Keller 6 pgs.

9379 King of the Con Men by Bernie Krigstein 6 pgs

9446 The Frame-Up by Marion Sitton 6 pgs.

Greg Sadowki's book on Krigstein should be on everyone's shelf. Volume 1 is a great look at this artist's life. It is also a very well crafted in-depth analysis of his work.

As for Vern Henkel, the gentle folks at Alter Ego will be featuring an interview with him in the Eisner tribute May issue: AE 48

Useless Trivia: Fast forward over a year to November 1953. It seems that the cover art was still kicking around the office because it got reused on the cover of Justice 41 (look at the top left vignette) for of course a completely different story. Ah those were the continuity-free days cloud9.gif

731823-Justice41s.jpg

731823-Justice41s.jpg.66a5bcf4273748846d6f34e2a087c618.jpg

# 6

Animal Antics 37 - eBay purchase

733196-AnimalAntics37s.jpg

Content:

The Racoon Kids by Otto Feuer 6 pgs. The RKs are Rudy and Rollo.

Dizzy Dog by Sheldon Mayer 6 pgs

Biggety Bear by Rube Grossman 6 pgs

The Racoon Kids by Otto Feuer 4 pgs

I didn't know much about the Racoon Kids until last night. Here's edited for brevity from Donald D. Markstein (all text his ©2004):

"... [DC] brought out two new funny animal anthologies in the early part of 1946. Nutsy Squirrel starred in one of them. The other, Animal Antics (first issue dated March-April of that year) introduced The Raccoon Kids.

The kids started out in the back pages, with the cover and lead story featuring a rabbit prestidigitator named Presto Pete. The Raccoons replaced Pete for one issue in #3 (July), then took over the cover and lead spot permanently, starting with #6 (January, 1947). The artist who handled them, not just at first but almost exclusively throughout their run, was Otto Feuer (The Dodo & the Frog). The writing credit is less certain, but they're believed to have been co-created by Sy Reit (Casper the Friendly Ghost). The same team (definitely Feuer on the art, probably Reit on the -script) was also responsible for Peter Porkchops.

Rudy and Rollo Raccoon were typical boys, only raccoons instead of humans, about 8 years old. They were twins, like Heckle & Jeckle or Dover & Clover, but few if any story points were made of their twinhood. They didn't even dress alike. In early stories, their nemesis was Uncle Percy, who frequently played mean tricks on them — but of course, they always managed to avenge themselves with even meaner tricks of their own. Though supposedly related, Percy didn't look like a raccoon. Maybe he was a short-haired weasel. Later, Percy was dropped from the cast, and the stars were played against a guy closer to their own age, named Muggsy Mole."

A final and interesting note:

" ... most [DC funny animal titles] modified their titles to suggest (without outright claiming) a connection to theatrical animation. Animal Antics became Movietown's Animal Antics with its 24th issue (February, 1950). Then all were re-titled after their lead features. Movietown's Animal Antics became Raccoon Kids with its 52nd issue (October, 1954)."

Somehow I already had the first pages of each story scanned so I'll put them up here.

733196-AnimalAntics37Story1s.jpg

733196-AnimalAntics37Story2s.jpg

733196-AnimalAntics37Story3s.jpg

733196-AnimalAntics37Story4s.jpg

Finally, I particularly like in-house ads across publishers, partly because they help me identify titles I need, partly because I like the manner in which they advertise their lines. As far as in-house ad, DC's, somewhat predictably, was quite staid (read: dull). Here's the then current line-up. Notice the additional ad for A Date with Judy TV show on ABC:

733196-DCInHouse.jpg

733196-DCInHouse.jpg.8693e5bc28d1141168753fb4223b9d90.jpg

# 7

Apache Kid 10 - Bought as a VG/F from Doug Sulipa

734243-ApacheKid10s.jpg

My copy seen above is a Canadian version. Below is the US version.

734243-ApacheKid10sUSVersion.jpg

Notice between the two copies that the Canadian version badly blocked out both the month (Jan) and the letter K below the price. My copy also has the addition of CDL in black type (sadly, I can't seen to figure out if it is part of the print or if it is a later stamp but I tend to believe it is printed on the cover). My guess is that they are distributor's code and should not appear on the wrong side of the border. But what about the month deletion? There is a date stamp on my copy, located in the stack of hay right below the A of Apache stated Dec. 12 1951 which is in keeping with others I have. So no explanation for the month deletion as it appears both US and Canadian version would have been on stands at about the same time. While the title lasted until # 19 (before becoming Western Gunfighters), # 11 would not appear until December 1954! [see one can easily be fooled thinking a title was published continuously but certainly wasn't].

Content:

8966 The Raid of the Renegades by ? 7 pgs with Apache Kid, a.k.a. Aloysius Kare (AK you see wink.gif)

9027 Red Arrow Strikes by ? 6 pgs with Apache Kid

9105 Where Danger Dwells by Allan Bellman 4 pgs with Black Panther

9028 The Winning of White Swan by ? 6 pgs with Apache Kid

While I can't ID the artist on the Apache Kid sequences, a lot of Apache Kid work was done by Werner Roth.

As far as the Bellman story, for those who like "fake" early appearances, how about this Black Panther? Who is he and what does he look like?

734243-ApacheKid10BellmanStorys.jpg

For more on Bellman, see our beloved Alter Ego 32 for his interview by Doc V. whose complete transcript can be seen at Bellman Interview with accompanying art as well as wonderful Splash Gallery (sans the one above, my bonus to you). I particularly like the Western Outlaws & Sheriffs #72 2nd story splash on the second page of the gallery.

As a parting shot, remember that these Canadian editions had Canadian ads and therefore in lieu of Charles Atlas, Canadian kids could dream to be as strong as Joe Bonomo:

734243-CanadianStrongmans.jpg

734243-CanadianStrongmans.jpg.75bb73fb8df37c59fca0a2b76cd708c0.jpg

# 8

Archie Comics # 55 - eBay Purchase

735703-Archie55s.jpg

Content:

Cover by Bob Montana

Very Kindly Yours by ? 6 pgs

The Old Gray Mayor by 6 pgs

Love is Blind by ? 5 pgs

The Principal of it! by ? 6 pgs

Lucky Puck by ? 5.66 pgs

Let's Face it by ? 3.66 pgs

Come Ona My House My Housa C'Mon by ? 7 pgs

One thing I find rather funny as I look back at the Teen-age Heroes comics is that, despite the times, I find the 50's covers more "daring" than what Archie would allow in today's marketplace. I don't imagine the current editors would run this cover gag today. I noticed this also on many of the covers board member lotemo's website.

Most Archies were still published with a higher page count making them one of the best deal on the newsstands money-wise. The following table displays, for publishers for whom I have indexed at least 3 comics, the average total page count of comics, the percentage of actual story pages, the number of story pages, the number of stories, the percentage of ads, and finally the cost per story page. What you don't see is the count of the number of 1) text pages, 2) short features, games, and sometimes 1 page gags and 3) in-house ads. Overall, because Dells, while offering a lower page, was carrying no ads, they were about as good of a deal as Archies. Notice that some of the laggards are both National and Atlas.

735703-CostAnalysis.jpg

735703-CostAnalysis.jpg.9bc5cddaac18081d23f24220d1051a7a.jpg

# 9

Astonishing 11 - eBay purchase

736379-Astonishing11s.jpg

Content:

9825 The Last of Mr. Mordeaux by Joe Sinnott 5 pgs

9643 Master and Slave - Text feature

9672 Freak by Bill Walton 5 pgs

9790 Reign of Terror by ? 4 pgs

9695 The Hound Dog by Myron Fass 4 pgs

9776 The Day Harrington Died! by Bob Fujitani 5 pgs

Yeah, on the cover Mordeau is spelled without an "x". We see some early Atlas work by Joe Sinnott so I'll include it below as well as the splash page from the un-attributed story: Reign of Terror.

736379-Astonishing11Story1.jpg

736379-Astonishing11Story2.jpg

Note that Joe's work for Atlas pre-dates this by about 1 year. The earliest Story Code with Joe's art I know of is 7923 for Kent Blake of the Secret Service 1 (Cover by Sol Brodsky)

736379-KBSS1s.jpg

Note that I will actually buy two issues of Astonishing since there is both a March issue and a Spring issue. For all you Timely Atlas needs, please consult Greg Gatlin's wonderful site: Atlas Tales

736379-KBSS1s.jpg.714a55d5992bf11c0462f03179f35598.jpg

Thanks for the Allen Bellman interview/splash gallery link, as he was completely off my radar. His style was a bit crude, but it has an energetic quality not unlike early Krigstein in spots. I dug out my copy of Crypt of Shadows 11, which reprints the story "Vampire Brats," a nice little 4-pager drawn by Bellman.

Anyway, this thread is good stuff, keep it up!

thumbsup2.gif

When you started this thread I wasn't sure I would think much of it, but is has become one of my favorites. I thought the idea of buying everything that was on the newstand at a particular date would lead to a lot of "boring" books, but everything you have posted has been really cool. The variety of comics that were put on back in the 50s is amazing and I think is one of the things that would keep something like fun to do. And I love how you are putting up interior pages too. It really helps to get a feel for the comics. Excellent stuff, I look forward to seeing what you add next

thumbsup2.gif

This is a great thread and I like the way you're providing the information on the books and the interior art scans. It's clear you really love the books.

The pace of posting is just fine. It's a nice thread to return to every few days to see what's new on the newstand for March 1952.

# 10

Adventures into the Unknown # 29 - Recent eBay arrival (hence the alphabetical lateness)

737350-AdventuresIntoTheUnknown29s.jpg

Don't you just hate it when Sue gets pi$$ed! And yes, there is no story inside relating to the cover.

Contents:

Cover by Ken Bald

Invasion of the Ghost-Monsters by Ken Bald 9 pgs

Ship of Death by Charlie Sultan 9 pgs

The Mark of the Monster by Edvard Moritz 8 pgs

The Hands of Darkness by ? 8 pgs

The Witches' Brew by Edvard Moritz 9 pgs

I find that ACG could have been more than what it was. It certainly had the artists needed to be successful but I feel it's the stories that put them in the forgotten publisher of the Atom age category. Think about it, this is the company that put out the first (continuing) horror comic book but you'd be hard pressed to have the general comic book community (twenty and thirty-something readers) remember their output. I'll come back to ACG later on other books and will also talk more about Michael Vance's book: Forbidden Adventures - The History of the American Comics Group at that point.

Today, I just want to concentrate on Ken Bald. You can find an excellent overview of his career and examples of his strip work on Dr. Kildare and on Dark Shadows at the Rules of Attraction website and the second part here. For that matter check the entire feature here. Hurry, the articles are not permanent.

From Vance's book, quoting Norman Fruman, ACG Assistant Editor:

"I remember - it was Ken Bald in fact, one of our artists - talking to me about how uncomfortable he was drawing this stuff, and realizing when his wife and kids came into the room he'd want to cover it up so they couldn't see what he was doing. ... They were getting bloodier and bloodier."

Actually, I find there is stronger art in this issue than what Bald did so I won't show you his splash page. However, it illustrate a characteristic of Richard Hughes (ACG's editor) to favor the story to the art. Otherwise, on most books, the strongest art story is in front to hook the casual peruser to clinch the sale but Hughes chose to ignore this in favor of a story involving famous literary characters brought back to life, an idea that I know what have appealed to him (and for that matter, he may have written it himself). Also, Hughes was running an editor column (the first one of his genre(?)) as seen here:

737350-AdventuresIntoTheUnknown29Editors.jpg

Ok, since most everyone that chimed in likes to see interior art, here are two examples (Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement, I am thrilled that you like to see the inside of these. I'll keep on posting those. They are the most important to me as well).

737350-AdventuresIntoTheUnknown29Story1s.jpg

737350-AdventuresIntoTheUnknown29Story2s.jpg

DD: as far as buying that Astonishing, you'd probably be better off buying this and have more fun that with some lackluster endings in that Astonishing issue.

737350-AdventuresIntoTheUnknown29Story2s.jpg.3690b8b05899fed56e2f8d6f9733d2d3.jpg

Something different for today. I plan at the end of each letter listing to show you a visual want list, that is, books I know I will need and for which I have a scan. So for the As and tomorrow we'll start the Bs.

738671-AMIA1.jpg

738671-AMIA2.jpg

738671-AMIA2.jpg.6f46e9652afa6bfc79628d381b98ce80.jpg

Due to Scrooge's Authentic Police Cases being on vacation, I'm guest posting for him.

739362-AuthPolice24.jpg

739362-AuthPolice24.jpg.4325bd5646964232aa9dc357cd2e1cc1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange