• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Month in the Life of the Comics
4 4

670 posts in this topic

:bump:

Nothing added to the collection since that last September purchase. At this point, I have end of run blues with this quest.

Never fearing posting a chart, here's what my activity has become over the last year and a half, in comparison to the previous years: it's been dead. I'll find those darn last 4 but, at this rate, I might miss my 10 year deadline :sorry:

To think that at the heights in 2004, I was adding 15 books a month :o

97711.jpg.433347bf18a5d4149d9288c1db9585a0.jpg

You'll make it!

85897.jpg

This is my favorite of the Romantic Marriage covers, along with #8. (yes, my low grade copy).

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Yeah, they'll be tough, but they're out there. I'da never guessed the Master would be one of the last to be located.

I've seen all of one copy of eBay years ago in low / mid-grade go for $100 (which blew my snipe) and I am sure there is at least one Crowley copy out there. Mine is waiting to be discovered still. Never seen the Redskin. Missed out on 2 Nellies and have only ever seen one of the Bill Boyd. It's one of those: if I knew then how long it would take to see / find another one ...

Still looking for those last three even though I will admit I haven't expanded that much effort in the search. I figure I'll come across them when I least expect it. Yes, last 3 as since the posts above, I have with the help of Honky Cat found the Master Comics.

I have not been upgrading those I already have unless I come across one and the price is right like my upgrade of Hot Rod and Racing Cars from Jeremy at SpringCon and this one that came in today as it found me right on the boards. I am uploading the upgrade and the under-copy. You can see the improvement :D

107100.jpg.d3cf597f27e0854d16d81aee136ab581.jpg

107101.jpg.9687ac8f12a6c30dac7f54d7ec591855.jpg

Great effort, Michael. :applause:

How many comics does that make, approximately?

About 425.

I really don't know what to do about the upgrading game. I have a few books that I wouldn't mind upgrading but I don't know that it's worth doing. Comments / suggestions?

Great effort, Michael. :applause:

How many comics does that make, approximately?

About 425.

I really don't know what to do about the upgrading game. I have a few books that I wouldn't mind upgrading but I don't know that it's worth doing. Comments / suggestions?

I don't get the sense it matters too much to you. If that's true, then don't bother. Keep on buying new books and enjoy the tremendous accomplishment of your month set.

:bump:

10 years ago, in the early summer of 2001, I started to acquire the books at the core of my collection from various eBay sellers and dealers: Richie Munchin and Jef Hinds were the first I bought from followed by Motor City, Southern Cal Comics and Terry's and then madness ensued with my attending convention on a regular basis.

Today, 423 comics later, I stand very close to completion though I only added 1 book in 2010 and 2 books in 2009 and none this year though I only need 3 freaking books to close this quest. I'd appreciate it if you kept an eye out for these 3 books :foryou:

I think I have seen and lost a Bill Boyd # 21 on eBay (aahhh regrets). I passed on a Nellie # 32 and lost on another on eBay. I have NEVER seen a copy of Redskin # 8.

Thanks for listening and hopefully helping :)

114535.jpg

I gave myself 10 years (I started in July 2001)
Didn't quite make it. :(

Many cited the Synchronic collection article as one of their favorite in the Gary Carter days (it's in # 67 from March 1999). I couldn't agree more as it launched me on my Quest: collecting books on shelves around Four Color 386: Uncle Scrooge, namely March 1952.

Here's a snapshot of the task: I counted a total of 420 books fitting my eligibility criteria.

I was leafing through some pics on my PC the other day and found that this one that had been put together by a Boardie who's name escapes me. It illustrates the dramatic difference in comics at the appearance of Superman vs. it's peak in 1952, when, as Scrooge notes, there were over 400 comics.

Action1_newstand.jpg