• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Month in the Life of the Comics
4 4

670 posts in this topic

:bump:

I rarely have something related to the collection to share these days but today, I received (Thanks RobbieC) this copy of Police # 127, last issue of the run which is from 1953 but it fits in the collection since the cover is a complete swipe from T-Man # 4 which is from March 1952.

I post the comparison below and apart from a few strategic changes since the action moves from Panama to Thailand, the covers are identical lol

118181.jpg.10287e1eaeae00451b3f4db60182d060.jpg

118182.jpg.756d537d094d212ff56c6dcc9b825357.jpg

That's very interesting. :applause:

I don't think it is a swipe in the sense that we typically think of the word, but that it is instead actually a reuse of the original art with alterations done to the piece. Editors did that somewhat regularly with pulp covers.

Yes, I meant to state that. It's obvious from the folds in the characters fightin that the OA was pulled out and someone worked over the faces. I figured someone would mention that the OA had actually been reused. I just thought that AStrange would be the one, not you :baiting:

It's all the more clear since the heavy blacks from the shadow from the original versions are still there and expanded as needed.

After finding the Bill Boyd at BaltimoreCon last summer, I received this today. I feel like a BSD paying 4x Guide for this book ... or should that be I should feel like a chump hm Either way, :banana:

N.B.: Special thanks to Damonwad for an assist on this one :thumbsup:

124115.jpg.88c8d8189ce6ea8e54577def14357cf8.jpg

Congratulations!

Does this mean it's down to just one book? :o

Congratulations. This brings back memories of when Ian Levine was looking for New Adventure 26, except there's less melodrama this time. I've been searching for the Redskin 8 regularly and will continue to do so.

After finding the Bill Boyd at BaltimoreCon last summer, I received this today. I feel like a BSD paying 4x Guide for this book ... or should that be I should feel like a chump hm Either way, :banana:

N.B.: Special thanks to Damonwad for an assist on this one :thumbsup:

Awesome. :applause:

Just found this thread and its references to '40s Captain Marvel artist Bob Butts, whose post-comics career was unknown.

Bob Butts left comics but later published a series of books under the name Robert Butts, co-written with his wife Jane Roberts, that had a huge influence on the New Age spiritual movement in the 1970s. Info can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Roberts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Material

It is in the book "The Magical Approach" that Butts writes about his history illustrating Captain Marvel comics (pp.36,37,39)

Robert Butts died on May 26, 2008.

http://www.paulhelfrich.com/essays/in-memoriam-robert-f-butts/

Thanks for posting the update on Butts. (thumbs u

# 189 :o

Roy Rogers # 51 – eBay purchase

RoyRogers51-FC_zps3322d871.jpg

Content:

Multishot weapons of yesteryear by Bob Jenney – Inside front cover

Roy takes a prisoner by Albert Micale – 12 pgs

One man's poison by Albert Micale – 12 pgs

Breed of the pioneers (illo by Albert Micale) – 2 pgs text

Chuckwagon Charley's tales by Ray Thayer – 6 pgs

Back cover is one more photo of Roy with Trigger

RoyRogers51-BC_zps2396e6d4.jpg

By 1952, Roy had been on top of the B-Western charts for a solid 10 years (more on that later) and his comic book career entered its 8th year. Roy was the first of the cowboys to make it to the Four Color (2nd) series with his first issue, # 38, released in April 1944. Gene had to wait a couple of month to make his Dell debut, with # 47 in July 1944 though Gene had a 10-issue run at Fawcett stretching from 1941 to 1943.

RoyRogers51-CoverGallery_zps9e82c479.jpg

Under one title or another, Roy's series at Dell span from 1948 to 1961, a 13-year run enviable by many publishers. Yet, to be honest, it is short of most Fawcett westerns, the least likely series I'd pick books from ... because of Micale. In my opinion, Micale's work does a terrible disservice to Roy's comics presence unlike the early Dell Autrys drawn by none other than Jesse Marsh of Tarzan fame (for some) or Tom Gill's Lone Ranger.

Since Micale and Rogers are contemporaries, born respectively in 1913 and 1911, let's follow their somewhat parallel lives.

The 1930's:

By the time Albert and Len (Roy Rogers' real name is Leonard Franklin Slye) are in their early 20's, the Great Depression has already America and both have dropped out of school. Roy dropped out of school at 18, not finishing high school to work a a shoe factory with his father before migrating (it took two attempts for a permanent move) to California where he initially was driving gravel trucks before attempting full-time a singing career. On their first trip from Ohio to California, "[Roy's family] towed a junker car behind them the entire way to use for parts when their 1923 Dodge broke down, and pulled off of Route 66 at night to sleep outside on blankets." (All of Roy's bio info sourced from Roy Rogers Bio)

Albert Micale attended Pratt Institute for a while before quitting to launch his career as a pulp illustrator in the '30's, finding his first job at Street & Smith. While attending Pratt, some of Micale's classmates were H.W. Scott, Fred Blakeslee, Rudy Belarski, John Blummer and Bob Jenney among others.

Though information on Micale is quite sparse, it seems that both men struggled for a while. Roy's singing career was slow to develop and only have much struggle was he and the Sons of the Pioneers able to land a steady gig on radio which dovetailed in their performing in movies, including in 4 Autry movies. It's not until 1937 that Roy lands a contract as an actor with Republic at $75 a week. In his early roles, he played supporting Gene Autry, starring on his only later but fortuitously, in his first starring role, he rode Golden Cloud, which he renamed Trigger.

The 1940's:

Again, info on Micale is sparse but judging from his rising comics credit around publishers from Centaur to Fiction House to Fawcett (where he illustrated the early Autry series), Micale is slowly dropping the pulp market and entering the comics market in need of more and more talent to support the ever increasing output on the newsstands. Micale ends up working predominantly for Dell in such obscure series as The Crusoes in the pages of Crackajack Funnies or Lightin' Jim in 1941 and 1942.

Micale on The Crusoes from Crackajack Funnies # 43

RR51-Crackajack43-059-Crusoes_zpsb75bffa8.jpg

RR51-Crackajack43-062-Crusoes_zpse458ff1f.jpg

Eventually, Micale settles to working on mostly Western features for the balance of his career with Roy's four color adventures occupying most of his time. His work on these features led him also to work on Big Little Books such as these:

RR51-DeadlyTreasureBLBCover_zps48958382.jpg

RR51-LightninJimBLBCover_zps1b00dcef.jpg

At the same time Micale reaches success, Roy Rogers's salary increases and in 1943, Republic starts billing him as "King Of The Cowboys", though by that time, he is only second or third switching position with Boyd, both behind Autry. By 1943, Roy becomes the top ranking B-western artist ... only because Gene left for World War II service. Once Roy took over the crown, he held onto the top rating through the end of the B western genre in the early 1950s (with Autry coming in a consistent #2). Yet, as a testament of Autry's popularity, all throughout his service time, Autry remained the 2nd most popular western star thanks to Republic re-releasing his earlier films so Gene remained popular and a money-maker for the studio.

By 1948, the year Roy Rogers Comics spun off from the Four Color series, Roy negotiate a contract that included a $10,000.00 bonus and paid him $21,000 plus a $500.00 clothing allowance for each of 11 films over a 2 year period. He extended the contract in February, 1950, for 6 more films at $21,667.00 each and then a final 2 westerns at $25,000.00 each.

The 1950's:

Once that last extension ended, Roy and Republic clashed over television. Roy wanted to go on TV with new material. Republic wanted to repackage old material for TV. Republic and Roy parted ways and Roy created his own TV series which debuted right around the time of this comics' release on NBC, on December 30, 1951. You can watch the very first episode right here on YouTube with Roy, Trigger, Bullet, Dale and Buttercup. The show was to continue through 1957. As usual, the comics series outlasted the other media.

The 1960's and beyond:

By the 1960's, both Roy and Al slowed down. Roy was content to stay at home with his large family or make appearances for his fans. Al's comic work slows down though it appears that his directed his attention to children's books and more to painting as attested by this cover he did for Gilberton

RR51-BlackBeautyClassicsCove_zps85654fd6.jpg

Micale appears to have moved to Arizona by the 1970's where he continued his work as a Western artist as per these prints

RR51-MicalePrint31977_zpscbe7c15f.jpg

RR51-MicalePrint21977_zpsde772ebb.jpg

RR51-MicalePrint11977_zpsc929c5db.jpg

Interestingly, Jerry Bails' Who's Who cite that one of Micale's influence is Nick Eggenhoffer whose work you can see below and certainly is echoed in Micale's.

RR51-NickEggenhoffer-Horses_zpsb590e555.jpg

RR51-NickEggenhoffer-IndiansMovingCamp_zps508c13e3.jpg

Given Micale's predilection for the West, it is surprisingly to see his name associated with children's books about the space race such as this one but it shows another side to his abilities -

RR51-1965letsgotothemoon1_zps1399e66b.png

Micale died in 1993 and Roy died in 1998. Both from the same generation who had to go out and make a living at a young age, they both found a niche where their respective talent afforded them long-lived success and hopefully a pleasant retirement. Given how much of Micale's career was tied to Roy and his success, in a melancholic mood, I can only wonder if the two ever met, Len who played Roy and Al who animated him on paper.

Opposing pages from Roy takes a prisoner

RoyRogers51-Story1Page1_zps2c179b3c.jpg

RoyRogers51-Story1Page2_zpsfa87371f.jpg

Page from One man's poison

RoyRogers51-Story2Page1_zps5a006c56.jpg

Wonderful post. The kind of post that makes this forum so great.

But ... if I can slip in a small dissent about "Jesse Marsh of Tarzan fame" Marsh is probably my least favorite artist of any era.

Hello

I'm new to this forum and I do not speak very good English, but I manage.

I am looking for stories cosmo frisky cat appeared in animals 48, 55, 56, 57 and 58.

If it is possible that sends me mail or put them on the forum??

Contact me by private message. thank you

Ok, thank you.

But that view is a story of a few pages in a comic that matters much more to me this could be expensive not to mention the shipping cost ...

I'll just need pictures of the story. After, excuse me if I do not understand your answer, I'm new on this forum ...