• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mail Call from CGC

18 posts in this topic

Just arrived...

Shortly after coming home from work on Friday I got a knock on the door from UPS. I had seen a few days earlier that my invoice from ECCC in March had been marked Shipped/Safe so I was eagerly anticipating this package. So excited because I don't peak at the grades online...gotta have willpower cause I love surprises!

In the past I've opened the box and revealed the grade to myself one book at a time and then made a journal note before looking at the next book. That was fun. This time, I decided to reveal one at a time to myself and then to tnerb, bagofleas and Ronnylama via group text, sending them a pic of each book as I went along. That was a lot fun too cause we got to share in the ohs and ahs together. I just finished posting the last one, pictured below, on Instagram which is my first venture into social media, and now I'm sharing the results with all of you fine people. I wish I had made note of the grades we thought these would receive, but needless to say I am EXTREMELY happy with all of these!

Daredevil 163 CGC 9.6 WP...Hulk appearance. Bought this one on eBay as NM.

Daredevil 168 CGC 9.2 WP...1st Elektra. Bought this one from tnerb as NM minus...right on the money with that one tnerb.

Uncanny Xmen 244 CGC 9.6 WP...1st Jubilee. This one is from my original collection.

Secret Wars 8 CGC 9.8 WP...Origin of alien costume that becomes Venom. This one is from my personal collection.

Amazing Spiderman 238 CGC 9.6 WP...1st appearance Hobgoblin. Picked this up at my LCS.

Amazing Spiderman 300 CGC 9.8 WP...Origin and 1st full appearance of Venom. Picked this up at my LCS.

I gotta tell you, my jaw hit the floor when I saw the 9.8 grade on issue 300. I showed my wife what they're selling for and she was like yeah, you need to take me back to Disneyland, lol. Very happy to have all these books in my collection and not that it has any relevance, but it bumped me up past the 30,000 point mark so I'll take it. I've added pictures and descriptions for all these to my sets so if you have a few minutes stop by and take a look.

Til next time...

16763.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

Congratulations Surfer99!

You acquired some greats books without overspending and you definitely hit BIG with your ASM 300!

I know it's been a while, but I am back around now brother!

I just recently began collecting again this year.

Looking forward to hearing from you again!

-Professor Pecora

LionHeart, newshane, and TJ, thank you!

Brandon, I couldn't believe the books I found that day and when I took a closer look after I got home I was amazed. Also picked up a Marvel Premiere 15 for my son who loves Iron Fist and it had some wrinkling that could maybe be water damage, I'm not sure. That one we sent to CCS for a press so I'm hoping they worked their magic to pull of a decent grade on it for him...it is in Received status now along with a couple of other gems.

Professor, welcome back my friend! Nice to hear from you and hoping you'll write a journal or two to catch us up on all things Pecora.

Surfer,

Fantastic copy! I had to put on shades to save my eyes from the gloss. It's a great feeling to buy a raw copy at a lower price and send it in and get a gem back. Also congratulations on breaking the 30,000 point barrier! Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Surfer,

Fantastic copy! I had to put on shades to save my eyes from the gloss. It's a great feeling to buy a raw copy at a lower price and send it in and get a gem back. Also congratulations on breaking the 30,000 point barrier! Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Haha, thanks Rockblazer! It totally IS all shiny, lol. Not bad for a 27 year old comic. It was just one of those things where I wasn't even looking for this book, it just appeared, like a dream, so I jumped on it. :)

Thanks for reading. I will try and post again soon and look forward to reading your posts as well.

What an incredible LCS find on that $300. My LCS doesn't have anything close to cool stuff like that! (I'm guessing living in Silicon Valley means the high rollin' techies have cleared out all the local LCSes.) I guess I should visit Arizona!

What an incredible LCS find on that #300. My LCS doesn't have anything close to cool stuff like that! (I'm guessing living in Silicon Valley means the high rollin' techies have cleared out all the local LCSes.) I guess I should visit Arizona!

You're probably right, blast those rich techies! lol I've heard NY is the same way...all the good stuff is gone, unless you try some of the surrounding cities. We definitely have some great books pop up here once in awhile, but there are dry spells too. Best of luck on your collection!

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/4418-mail-call-from-cgc/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png