• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Adventure Comics 229

27 posts in this topic

It actually just says "1st S.A. issue; Green Arrow & Aquaman app." Same as last year. Not really sure why it even lists Green Arrow & Aquaman since they are both in the surrounding issues as well, but the "1st S.A. issue" note is made for Action/Batman/Detective/etc. as well. Just whatever issue came first after Showcase 4.

It actually just says "1st S.A. issue; Green Arrow & Aquaman app." Same as last year. Not really sure why it even lists Green Arrow & Aquaman since they are both in the surrounding issues as well, but the "1st S.A. issue" note is made for Action/Batman/Detective/etc. as well. Just whatever issue came first after Showcase 4.

Ok thank you (thumbs u

I agree Agree 260 is a must but i dont agree 229 doesn't have any value. You can have both 1st app in S.A and Origin

Yeah, I would agree w you Mijael. 229 marks the SA is a great book to own. I liked Aquaman as a kid and even have the later Adventure issues w Aqauman apps. I would own these in Novaro edition if they hit the market, but i might as well play the lottery lol

I agree Agree 260 is a must but i dont agree 229 doesn't have any value. You can have both 1st app in S.A and Origin

Yeah, I would agree w you Mijael. 229 marks the SA is a great book to own. I liked Aquaman as a kid and even have the later Adventure issues w Aqauman apps. I would own these in Novaro edition if they hit the market, but i might as well play the lottery lol

I already seen 3 #260 Novaro copies in better shape than the US version , its almost impossible to find a decent copy

$_57.JPG

I would agree with this. I think there is an important distinction between the first SA appearance of a character who hasn't been around since the GA and the first appearance of a character--who has been around--in a book published after Showcase 4.

Aquaman is there in Adventure 228 and Adventure 227 and ... all the way back into the 1940s. So I don't think many collectors would see Adventure 229 as even a minor key. My take, at any rate.

I would agree with this. I think there is an important distinction between the first SA appearance of a character who hasn't been around since the GA and the first appearance of a character--who has been around--in a book published after Showcase 4.

Aquaman is there in Adventure 228 and Adventure 227 and ... all the way back into the 1940s. So I don't think many collectors would see Adventure 229 as even a minor key. My take, at any rate.

We are all just comic junkies and love our books. I enjoy keys an non keys and never thought of SC4 as SA mark. I always felt Marvel reboot was the turning point... FF1 AF15, Hulk et al. Not just a single book, but the momentum of the reboot. If anything i would credit BB28 as the DC strong arm and "pre reformer" voice. But again you could say its the culmination of all comic publishers to reinvent the genre. It is fun to think about, but doesnt really change my passion for collecting or focus.

Cheers to Adv 229, 260 and hot aquamaid cos player lol

I agree 260 is a must but i dont agree 229 doesn't have any value. You can have both 1st app in S.A and Origin

Just to clarify, Adv 229 has value, but I don't ascribe any additional "key" value to Adv 229 because it happens to be published immediately after SC 4, if one considers SC 4 the start of the SA -- and not Tec 225. Sqeggs is right that 229 isn't even a minor key because the character in Adv 229 is the same Aquaman in 228. A "first appearance of a character in the SA" doesn't appeal to me, unless it's a revamped character origin (Adv 260) or a dormant character reintroduced after the passage of several years (e.g., LL 70). Not sure why the OPG makes the notation for these SA books and not for, say, BA books published immediately after GL 76.

There is another thread on this forum (maybe 5 months ago?) with extensive discussion and debate on what books constitute the most collectible Aqua SA books. Adv 229 isn't in the discussion.

Here are the two SA Aquaman books that are the most important to own. BTW, these are not super-HG copies just nice-looking copies that present well for the grade. That's all that matters to me: Adventure Comics 260 & Showcase 30

001_6.jpg

005_4.jpg

I don't put any particular value in Adv 229. Adv 260 is the one you want to grab if you like Aquaman.

I agree 260 is a must but i dont agree 229 doesn't have any value. You can have both 1st app in S.A and Origin

I used to have a HG copy of Adv 260, but sold it off along with a Brave & Bold 54 over 2 decades ago. doh!

Fishler linked me up with the purchaser and if I remember correctly, he agreed to pay something like double top of guide if the books met his condition specifications. Too bad as I don't remember what I did with the money and those two books would sure look nice in my collection now. :cloud9:

I expect there will be other collectors who, like me, have copies of Adventure #229 and #260 not as possible key issues but rather as nice examples of books from a great DC title.

This would be an interesting approach to collecting comics. Maybe it will catch on :wishluck:

I expect there will be other collectors who, like me, have copies of Adventure #229 and #260 not as possible key issues but rather as nice examples of books from a great DC title.

This would be an interesting approach to collecting comics. Maybe it will catch on :wishluck:

hm

It was released in October of 1956 same month as Showcase 4. Its the beginning of an era, i agree that Aquaman was already there but something changed on this issue ; they didn´t re invented it but they gave him a new pet (Topo) .. Like Kripto for Superboy.

Because of the fact that the writers started something new with Aquaman in the beginning of the new era : the SA makes me think that i should get this underrated book

It was released in October of 1956 same month as Showcase 4. Its the beginning of an era, i agree that Aquaman was already there but something changed on this issue ; they didn´t re invented it but they gave him a new pet (Topo) .. Like Kripto for Superboy.

Because of the fact that the writers started something new with Aquaman in the beginning of the new era : the SA makes me think that i should get this underrated book

The first appearance of Topo the octopus was the beginning of an era? Wow...