• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

I don't think there is another run of classic books that has as much divergence amongst fans as to which covers are best. 35 and 38 are tied for worst in my opinion. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

To me? I think Romita was better than Ditko. As was previously mentioned there is a stiffness to his characters that make them appear quite awkward in their poses. As was mentioned #5 and #16 immediately come to mind. Even #14, while a classic issue is a pretty weird looking cover.

The best Ditko ASM cover in my humble opinion is #23. The worst? hm

Top 5 in no particular order: 3, 12, 19, 23, 33*

* = Not because of the story but because of the actual cover. Why is Spider-man trapped? What's with the drowning. Even through a mask there is this feeling of hopeless and doom portrayed...

Honorable mention for a great cover? 22. Shows you didn't need Spider-man on the cover to explain Spider-man's 'mission'.

Now... what I count as the worst (or the furthest from the best)

Bottom 5 in no particular order: 7, 16*, 17**, 21***, 32****

*What's going on with that leg?

**No really, what's going on with the leg?

***The leg? He goes from knowing how to draw one to... dunno.

****Apparently Spider-man no longer has a buttox - just a long thigh that wraps around

#15. Spiderman looks like he seriously put on some weight. Just the way his torso and legs were drawn. Makes him look like a kid drew him in class. And he got trapped by a net? Wtf? He defeated several foes before then. All they had to do was use a net!

I will defend #14 forever. I think it is such an awesome looking cover! 17 too.

23 is absolutely one of his best.

15, as much as I love Kraven, is not a great cover. That net is so think and weird looking, Spidey looks awkward, just not the best.

My vote for worst cover is #5. Looks unfinished. Dr Doom looks like a mannequin, dressed in fake armour.

My vote for the best covers are #18, #23, and #27. Just love the way the suits, the hats and the hands are drawn on #27. The action and the tension are palpable.

asm27b_zpsd8zzfzgu.jpg

I don't get the hate for #31, I rather like it. The unpublished AF #15 cover is pretty bad, and for published covers ASM #14 would be my least favorite. It's cluttered and poorly composed. It's a shame it's the first Green Goblin cover - it should have been something closer to #27.

My vote for worst cover is #5. Looks unfinished. Dr Doom looks like a mannequin, dressed in fake armour.

My vote for the best covers are #18, #23, and #27. Just love the way the suits, the hats and the hands are drawn on #27. The action and the tension are palpable.

asm27b_zpsd8zzfzgu.jpg

Great cover indeed! But once you look inside you are greeted by this disturbing image! What is he doing to Spidey? :o

Rxeb2kb.jpg

To me? I think Romita was better than Ditko. As was previously mentioned there is a stiffness to his characters that make them appear quite awkward in their poses. As was mentioned #5 and #16 immediately come to mind. Even #14, while a classic issue is a pretty weird looking cover.

The best Ditko ASM cover in my humble opinion is #23. The worst? hm

Top 5 in no particular order: 3, 12, 19, 23, 33*

* = Not because of the story but because of the actual cover. Why is Spider-man trapped? What's with the drowning. Even through a mask there is this feeling of hopeless and doom portrayed...

Honorable mention for a great cover? 22. Shows you didn't need Spider-man on the cover to explain Spider-man's 'mission'.

Now... what I count as the worst (or the furthest from the best)

Bottom 5 in no particular order: 7, 16*, 17**, 21***, 32****

*What's going on with that leg?

**No really, what's going on with the leg?

***The leg? He goes from knowing how to draw one to... dunno.

****Apparently Spider-man no longer has a buttox - just a long thigh that wraps around

:golfclap: Well played sir!

I'm surprised at the frequent nomination of #31. I don't collect ASM, but it always struck me as being a good layout/design and one that stands out from the crowd.

31 the design is good but the drawing leaves much to be desired

Good design saves bad drawing-sort of

I actually have always liked 5 and 8 because the colorist did some really nice work on those covers. And I think 30 has a unique cinematic quality to it.

His worst: 4 (not crazy about the panel cover), 10 (but it's mainly due to the Kirby Spidey), 15 (Spidey looks like he tacked on 50 pounds of muscle since 14), 25 (ditto), 31 (poor execution), 35 (wasn't this cover reworked? I don't think the published cover is all Ditko), 37 and 38 (just blah).

His best: 3 (best ASM cover ever?), 6, 9, 13, 18, 20, 21, 23 (maybe the second best Ditko ASM after 3), 27-29, 33.

Count me in the club who doesn't think ASM 1 is too bad. Not one of his elite covers, but a cool one nonetheless. I always liked the title angled from the ULHC of the cover....the only time it was done that way, at least in the SA run.

I actually like some of the more frequently mentioned "worst" covers. 15 and 25 are both favorites of mine, as is 4. What attracts me to them is not so much the renditions of Spidey but rather the way the villains are handled. Another of my favorites is 26..... I always loved that one. While I like 33 a lot, it is no where near the top of my list. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u