• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Debate TOS 39 or JIM 83

49 posts in this topic

ToS39... Stark/Iron Man are more relatable and, therefore, will continue to be more impactful to pop culture (not just movies; toy's, kids running around in Iron Man shirts, etc.). And, I think movies, but more so pop culture infusion most certainly impacts the SA (and every) market, look at any number of books (or books that have relatively recessed contrastingly for the same reason). Also, kids developing a personal connection to a particular character grow up to be (SA/) collectors as adults... And we are talking about upside "down the line" right?

I won't venture a guess as to investment potential, but I never cared much for Iron Man, and I prefer the Kirby cover on JIM 83. It would be an easy choice for me. I'd rather own a TTA #27 than ToS #39, but I'd take the IM book over a ST #110. Dr. Strange is cool enough, but the cover to ST #110 is weak stuff, and no Strange - boring.

I won't venture a guess as to investment potential, but I never cared much for Iron Man, and I prefer the Kirby cover on JIM 83. It would be an easy choice for me. I'd rather own a TTA #27 than ToS #39, but I'd take the IM book over a ST #110. Dr. Strange is cool enough, but the cover to ST #110 is weak stuff, and no Strange - boring.

The problem for me isn't that Dr. Strange isn't on the cover; it's still a must have book for my collection. The thing that has always stuck out to me is how unbelievably awesome most of the Strange Tales #101-109 covers are-some of the best of the Silver Age-only to be followed by the dud of a cover on the #110. I can't blame them for not putting a back up story on the cover since they hadn't been doing that since they reintroduced superheroes in their Sci-Fi titles (with only a couple of exceptions), but I wish the cover was more in line with the quality of its predecessors.

The problem for me isn't that Dr. Strange isn't on the cover; it's still a must have book for my collection. The thing that has always stuck out to me is how unbelievably awesome most of the Strange Tales #101-109 covers are-some of the best of the Silver Age-only to be followed by the dud of a cover on the #110. I can't blame them for not putting a back up story on the cover since they hadn't been doing that since they reintroduced superheroes in their Sci-Fi titles (with only a couple of exceptions), but I wish the cover was more in line with the quality of its predecessors.

The "uninteresting" cover may account for its relative scarcity today as compared to the other Marvels from the era- including IH 1.

-J.

The "uninteresting" cover may account for its relative scarcity today as compared to the other Marvels from the era- including IH 1.

-J.

Good point. That could certainly play into it.

I'd go with iron man as he isn't a Norse God. I pick the drunk over the god all day long.

Plus. I like the character better.

JIM 83 is less common.

Note I don't say more rare as neither is rare by any reflection.

By any reflection? I would certainly disagree. These books aren't rare compared to lots of other earlier books, but compared to almost everything that has been released in the last 50 years they are certainly more rare.

TOS 39 for me. But I just like Iron Man better.

Well, JIM 83 for me! But I just like Thor better. ;)

Like an earlier poster stated, certainly not scarce or anything like that, but less common than TOS 39.

Kirby cover also! (thumbs u

For whatever reason, JIM #83 contains some of the best work that Kirby ever did IMO. I don't know why it's different - different inker maybe - but those fluid, lithe lines made Thor look so graceful and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do him justice that way.

I was never a huge Iron Man fan or a TOS #39 fan as a collector (too grey and boring of a cover IMO) and part of me just gets irked how much the movies are affecting comics but yeah, Iron Man seems to be here to stay for a while.

TOS 39 for me. But I just like Iron Man better.

Well, JIM 83 for me! But I just like Thor better. ;)

Like an earlier poster stated, certainly not scarce or anything like that, but less common than TOS 39.

Kirby cover also! (thumbs u

Touchè! (thumbs u

TOS 39

Since I already own a copy, I plan to pick up a JIM 83. I've always wanted to own both but have just never pulled the trigger.

I sold my JIM 83 on the boards via auction for $460 years ago. 3.0 range. :-( I've had many Tos 39's (still own two and have sold three three that i can recall). I should have kept the JIM 83 but figured I'd find a nicer one....

In the wild finds for me (non slabbed for low prices) from memory:

JIM 83 (1)

Sgt Fury 1 (2)

TOS 39 (4)

Hulk 1 (2)

FF 1 (2)

DD 1 (4)

Avengers 1 (3)

TTA 27 (2)

TTA 35 (3)

ST 101 (3)

ST 110 (4)

Hulk 181 (7+)

IM 55 (4+)

WWBK 32 (5)

ASM 129 (8+)

IM 1 (8+)

So Even though I vote Tos 39, JIM 83 is tougher.

I just purchased a JIM 83 in CGC 6.0 (and it is a Beauty for the grade see the JIM 83 Thread I added a picture there). For me this one is a better buy over TOS 39. But like other people have said here they are both solid books for sure!!

I am going to buy TOS 39 as well down the line but there a few books I want 1st like a AF 15 and a Hulk #1.

I just purchased a JIM 83 in CGC 6.0 (and it is a Beauty for the grade see the JIM 83 Thread I added a picture there). For me this one is a better buy over TOS 39. But like other people have said here they are both solid books for sure!!

I am going to buy TOS 39 as well down the line but there a few books I want 1st like a AF 15 and a Hulk #1.

Good job! :applause:

Always go for the hardest books first, Hulk 1 should be next. (thumbs u

JIM 83 is the last of the big Marvel SA books I need, having just picked up a Hulk 1 recently (I'll add it to my sig as soon as it's back from CGC). I almost never see JIM 83 come up for sale though, compared to the "bigger" ones!

After that and maybe a FF5, I guess I have to start collecting GA keys... :o

JIM 83 is the last of the big Marvel SA books I need, having just picked up a Hulk 1 recently (I'll add it to my sig as soon as it's back from CGC). I almost never see JIM 83 come up for sale though, compared to the "bigger" ones!

After that and maybe a FF5, I guess I have to start collecting GA keys... :o

Suweet! :applause: