• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

Won the book I wanted, I over payed but what the heck!

Bad for you good for them what was it!

Frontline Combat 8, first time I've seen a Gaines copy of the book that's not off centered.

Congrats !

Thank you Jack. :)

Spellbound 14 :o

I actually thought I might win this one....silly me.

How much?

$8400 with BP

It is second highest too.... Tied for second highest excuse me....ha ha UNREAL

Wow. That is pretty silly.

There was a 7.5 not long ago that was cheap in comparison.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/spellbound-14-atlas-1953-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121533-13552.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

The market can be so weird ....

Yeah I think a lot of people (including me) passed on it hoping to win the 9.0. In hindsight I wish I had stuck 2-3 more bids in on the 7.5 - was a nice tightly graded copy IMHO.

I expected it would go for more than it did as it is a strong cover by Everett with a better color design than you might expect from Atlas.

Frontline Combat 8, first time I've seen a Gaines copy of the book that's not off centered.

Congrats !

Thunderjet! by Toth :headbang:

Mitch does a good breakdown of how many folks are watching and placing tracking bids leading up to the voice auction. What I'm most interested in is the post auction analysis and a breakdown of winners and losers by publisher and grade. Is this auction an outlier or part of a growth trend? hm

Also, I'm curious as too how original art fares overall. All of that data should be useful. It'll be interesting to see if buyer fatigue sets in and how secondary titles fare (lesser grades and/or marginally collected books) after the whole auction concludes.

Of course, I'm jumping the gun a bit, but everyone with skin in the game will undoubtably be tuned into the post-game show. My 2c

Congrats !

:banana:

Which makes it the best issue of the run.

Was under bidder for the Planet Comics #2, grrrrrr, I don't think I will ever own that book....lol:(

I am not surprised by the price at all.

The good news for you, is it was a very weak 5.5 in my opinion, better copy out there with your name on it. (thumbs u

Congrats !

As much as I like Toth, "The Big If" from issue 5 is one of my all-time favorite comic book stories.

Congrats !

As much as I like Toth, "The Big If" from issue 5 is one of my all-time favorite comic book stories.

It certainly is one of the best Kurtzman stories, maybe even the best. But Thunderjet is proof of the genius that Toth was and is one of my favorite stories by him.

Was under bidder for the Planet Comics #2, grrrrrr, I don't think I will ever own that book....lol:(

I am not surprised by the price at all.

The good news for you, is it was a very weak 5.5 in my opinion, better copy out there with your name on it. (thumbs u

I hope so. I agree it was a weak 5.5, but I find they come up not very often for auction. I know there is another coming up on Comicconnect, but am hesitant to purchase that particular grading groups books for various reasons, although structurally it actually looks better than the 5.5 in my opinion.

We will see what the future holds. I am glad I purchased my #1 quite a few years ago, it is one of the favorite books in my collection.

How much?

$8400 with BP

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/spellbound-14-atlas-1953-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121533-13552.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

Yeah I think a lot of people (including me) passed on it hoping to win the 9.0. In hindsight I wish I had stuck 2-3 more bids in on the 7.5 - was a nice tightly graded copy IMHO.

I expected it would go for more than it did as it is a strong cover by Everett with a better color design than you might expect from Atlas.

For whatever reason (gut instinct I guess) I felt like it would top out in the 4-5 range given it is tied for 2nd best and there are pedigree copies (presumably) that aren't on the census.

However, high end Atlas, PCH, top notch covers, especially Everett covers, continue to exceed expectation - at least my own.

How much?

$8400 with BP

For whatever reason (gut instinct I guess) I felt like it would top out in the 4-5 range given it is tied for 2nd best and there are pedigree copies (presumably) that aren't on the census.

However, high end Atlas, PCH, top notch covers, especially Everett covers, continue to exceed expectation - at least my own.

I thought the 7.5 would go for more than what it did.

I thought the 9.0 would go for much less than what it did.

I can live with my copy. :cool:

Spellbound15.jpg

Spellbound14_label.jpg

How much?

$8400 with BP

I thought the 7.5 would go for more than what it did.

I thought the 9.0 would go for much less than what it did.

I can live with my copy. :cool:

Spellbound15.jpg

Spellbound14_label.jpg

:applause::applause::applause:

I knew that was out there somewhere!

Beauty. I am a bit sick I sold my 7.5 WP copy a while back.

Is the RC copy the 9.2?

I agree that having the live auction does pump up prices... The market is very strong but the real ha bargains are coming on sat. 175 k price stunned me as I predicted 100k...

How many copes of Suspense 3 exist ?

It was always considered RARE by Overstreet, but how rare is rare ?

I agree that having the live auction does pump up prices... The market is very strong but the real ha bargains are coming on sat. 175 k price stunned me as I predicted 100k...

How many copes of Suspense 3 exist ?

It was always considered RARE by Overstreet, but how rare is rare ?

Total copies had no bearing on the final suspense 3 price, what did matter is 2 people (maybe more) were confident there is only one 9.0 and none better.