• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

Not any above 9.0.... The price is staggering 175,500.... It puts the book in a different universe.

I don't understand this price

Still trying to compute

As an old time collector I know Overstret always listed this book as RARE

But seriously...outside of comic fandom...how many people in pop culture know/care about this book ?

Here we are in agreement, the price is shocking and tough to explain other than to say it a one of a kind, rare and interesting object.

There is a new major player in the market at this time

... what if it turns out to be a flurry of accidental I-Phone "butt bids" (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

truly, but have there been any sane sales?

you could give it a try Richard :baiting:

I did. Nothing so far.

Why......did you fall asleep during the bidding for the Adventure 72 and 92 lots which only went for huge discounts to guide?

I was bidding on the Suspense. I was so distraught I missed the Adventures. I stopped crying about the time the Captain Midnights were rolling through.

Seriously though, this malaise in prices on the Adventure 72 seems to have been in place for several years now. For example, this copy was barely able to scratch out only 50% of guide when almost everything else is just going ballistic.

Is this malaise also in place on the Adventure 73 to the same extent or a little bit less since it seems to be a much tougher book to find? Given a choice between the two, I would always take the 73 since the cover image is just so classic and stunning. :cloud9:

...... 73 also has the first Manhunter and begins the little mini-run of TWO S&K stories per book...... but wait, for some strange reason no one cares about S&K anymore..... except me :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would guess around 50+ copies.

I used to keep track years ago and stopped counting at around 35.

I know Gerber always said it was RARE

But seriously...who cares ? I dont get this book

the book is not the focus. The cover is what matters on a Suspense 3. Perfect blend of horror and war. Arguably Schomburg's masterpiece.

the book is not the focus. The cover is what matters on a Suspense 3. Perfect blend of horror and war. Arguably Schomburg's masterpiece.

One of his best, along with Startling 49 in my opinion. Anyone think Fishler bought it? Wasn't he way overpaying for Suspense 3 like 15 years ago?

One of his best, along with Startling 49 in my opinion. Anyone think Fishler bought it? Wasn't he way overpaying for Suspense 3 like 15 years ago?

I kept saying to myself, bet we hear next week Metro got it! :D

Fish could have bought, but I think Fantastic 3s are more like his cup of tea.

I would say that is about right on from what i have seen over the years!

I think the Suspense #3 slabbed 9.0 sold for a reasonable price, as it hammered for less than a Hulk 181 Cgc 9.9 which I believe sold for about $182,000 150K 2 4 years ago

FTFY

so then a 9.0 cover only should/would sell for the same price ? :grin:

Interesting. From October 2002 Heritage Auction description CGC 6.5

"As for condition, just finding a complete copy of this elusive gem is a quite a challenge. Of the 20 or so copies known to exist, over half of them are incomplete -- but not this one. All pages are present and accounted for, and this copy is unrestored, and certified by CGC in a Universal blue holder."

The MMC 44 in 8.0 goes for $20K.

wow !

The MMC #46 in 7.5 got $28,680!

Even more unbelievable frenziedness on the decidedly non-key MMC 50. :o

+1

Yes, it definitely looked like most of the Timely's were going for top dollar there. :o:o

so then a 9.0 cover only should/would sell for the same price ? :grin:

:idea:

Auction fever hit I guess -- Fantastic 1 sits untouched for months at 15K on CL, then sells for 24K today on HA.

Something for people to keep in mind the next time we get one of those "Where should I auction my books" threads.

The overall fees on Heritage might be higher, but I'm guessing an extra $9K overall more than made up for them.

Auction fever hit I guess -- Fantastic 1 sits untouched for months at 15K on CL, then sells for 24K today on HA.

Like I have said in the past, this is an absolutely gorgeous copy of this book and almost 3-D like if you see it in person! :cloud9:

Sometimes, it's a matter of having just the right venue, plus unbridled auction fever also never hurts. lol

Perhaps it was purchased by an Asian buyer who is unable to access Comiclink due to the fact that they block anyone from Asia from their website.

Wow almost double our expectations lol

Pretty much in line with my expectations as I mentioned to Magik a few months ago that it should be able to go for over $150K based upon the prices that GA keys and classic cover books were fetching in the spring auctions. (thumbs u

Great prediction! Most of us thought it would sell for around $100k, so we were proven wrong lol . I'm just floored at how well it did. Congrats to Magik :applause:

I have a feeling that may be a record that will stand for a while in the "cool cover on otherwise nothing book" category.

Well, how about a book such as the Church copy of Fantastic Comics #3 with the classic robot cover.

Supposedly in NM condition if we can rely on Chuck's grading as per his Church catalogue. True, it might not beat the Suspense 3 record price, but definitely should have a chance at gaining membership into the prestigious $100K club. hm

Like I have said in the past, this is an absolutely gorgeous copy of this book and almost 3-D like if you see it in person! :cloud9:

Sometimes, it's a matter of having just the right venue, plus unbridled auction fever also never hurts. lol

It truly is a spectacular book. I wonder who won it.

I knew I never should have taken that darn tour of the Diamond offices during their International Galleries grand opening back in 95. While that was going on, Fishler and his gang were scarfing up all of the best books from the display cases. doh!

If I remember correctly, this book went for something like only $3,300 at the time. :cry:

It truly is a spectacular book. I wonder who won it.

I knew I never should have taken that darn tour of the Diamond offices during their International Galleries grand opening back in 95. While that was going on, Fishler and his gang were scarfing up all of the best books from the display cases. doh!

If I remember correctly, this book went for something like only $3,300 at the time. :cry:

Diamond18.jpg

What did the Subby 11 go for? I took a phone call and missed it.

$20,315

Thanks!

As for myself, I've always been more of a Subby 13 kind of guy.

Given the big money for Subby 11, I just feel that you can get better value with Subby 13. hm

I guess it's similar to how I feel you can get better value with a Phantom Lady 23 as compared to a PL 17.

Wow almost double our expectations lol

Pretty much in line with my expectations as I mentioned to Magik a few months ago that it should be able to go for over $150K based upon the prices that GA keys and classic cover books were fetching in the spring auctions. (thumbs u

Great prediction! Most of us thought it would sell for around $100k, so we were proven wrong lol . I'm just floored at how well it did. Congrats to Magik :applause:

I have a feeling that may be a record that will stand for a while in the "cool cover on otherwise nothing book" category.

Well, how about a book such as the Church copy of Fantastic Comics #3 with the classic robot cover.

Supposedly in NM condition if we can rely on Chuck's grading as per his Church catalogue. True, it might not beat the Suspense 3 record price, but definitely should have a chance at gaining membership into the prestigious $100K club. hm

It is a near mint copy. And it's spectacular.

In it's natural habitat.

AndyJonFant3.jpg

Fantastic3Church.jpg