• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

A little off topic, but I can't help but ask WHAT'S UP with this PLANET COMICS #15 (conserved, 2.5):

PLANET 15

Final price $3346. :o Is it the Amazing Man #25/#26 of that run? (in other words, impossible? Desirable in any grade?)

You should do a recreation of that one Ryan. Easily the rarest issue and one of the rarest Fiction House books. what makes this copy exceptional is the comparatively deep reds, and the white pages. Here is mine by comparison, which only cost a little more, but you can see why. [i [i]seriously [/i]considered downgrading and having it restored, but missed the auction, which is probably just as well, given other commitments.]

PlanetComics15CGC30_zpsbc62ff75.jpg

Wow. That's a really nice copy. I assume it was the PQ that brought down the grade. (I'm sure your bank account will thank you for missing the auction. :D )

I'm afraid my bank account isn't speaking to me at the moment. :cry:

I'd've had to flip the 'overcopy'.

This is worth repeating. I'll bet Fishler is beside himself for this book.

Fantastic3Church.jpg

Leaning towards 9.6

Actually I'm leaning towards fake. lol

That copy is unreal.

Fortunately JB promised it to me in his will if I have the good fortune to outlast him. Oh wait, I think that was a dream...

..anyway, JB will live to be a hundred - I can just tell.

Purely for my own amusement, I used the Heritage copy to create what probably does not exist - [the overall appearance of ] a hi grade #15 with colors that pop. I didn't bother to treat the defects.

planet%2015d_zpsr9seomxq.jpg

Interesting how it "could" have looked. Would be fun to see this with other FH books. You should do more of these in your spare time....purely for your own amusement lol

On topic though, the Planet 15 in HA auction was the brightest colored copy I have ever seen. I would love to see it in hand because HA, in my opinion, has below average coloring scans of FH books. It is a high dollar book due to scarcity and in high demand for Planet and FH completists.

...... 73 also has the first Manhunter and begins the little mini-run of TWO S&K stories per book...... but wait, for some strange reason no one cares about S&K anymore..... except me :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes, I think we need to generate some rumors about a pending Manhunter movie and this will help to awaken this run of Adventure books from their decade long slumber. :idea:lol

Yes, Planet 15 is generally considered the rarest issue of the run. I was an under bidder on that one along with a few other boardies I suspect.

Why did I think it was 14 that was the toughest? Maybe I am thinking it was the last one Cheetah needed for his run, but perhaps he was just being picky.

This is worth repeating. I'll bet Fishler is beside himself for this book.

Fantastic3Church.jpg

Leaning towards 9.6

Yes, Fishler's holy grail!!!

Didn't he buy up every single copy that surfaced back in the 90's, even down to the pissss poor copies that were ready to fall apart in your hands?

Now, let's see....if he would offer up his 9.0 copy of Action 1, then JB might be willing to consider making the trade. lol

Yes, Planet 15 is generally considered the rarest issue of the run. I was an under bidder on that one along with a few other boardies I suspect.

Why did I think it was 14 that was the toughest? Maybe I am thinking it was the last one Cheetah needed for his run, but perhaps he was just being picky.

The last one cheetah needed was #2. Always underestimated!

#14 and #15 are both very tough - #14 more so than we used to imagine. #15 is probably marginally tougher I think, though that's arguable. But neither has surfaced in high grade as far as I know.

#14 and #15 are both very tough - #14 more so than we used to imagine. #15 is probably marginally tougher I think, though that's arguable. But neither has surfaced in high grade as far as I know.

15 may be a bit tougher overall, but I've seen maybe 10 copies of 15 and 7-8 of those had brittle/slightly brittle pages. So when it comes to a collectible copy, 15 is much more difficult.

It's interesting that FH in general during that 2-3 month stretch are usually the most difficult ones to find of the run. Presumptively there was a distribution issue, or with the lower PQ and inks it could have been a supply-chain problem.

15 may be a bit tougher overall, but I've seen maybe 10 copies of 15 and 7-8 of those had brittle/slightly brittle pages. So when it comes to a collectible copy, 15 is much more difficult.

It's interesting that FH in general during that 2-3 month stretch are usually the most difficult ones to find of the run. Presumptively there was a distribution issue, or with the lower PQ and inks it could have been a supply-chain problem.

Wasn't there a problem because FH inadvertently breached WW2 security and copies from those months had to be withdrawn?

Wasn't there a problem because FH inadvertently breached WW2 security and copies from those months had to be withdrawn?

I've never heard that! :o

I don't know what WWII security FH would've been breaching prior to Pearl Harbor. The U.S. wasn't on war footing beyond lend-lease and there weren't any paper restrictions in place when Planet #15 was on the stands (Aug. 12, 1941). (shrug)

I don't know what WWII security FH would've been breaching prior to Pearl Harbor. The U.S. wasn't on war footing beyond lend-lease and there weren't any paper restrictions in place when Planet #15 was on the stands (Aug. 12, 1941). (shrug)

It was talked about somewhere deep deep deep within the FH anyone thread in GA, but from what I somewhat remember in one of the FH issues it had a story where USA was using a new sonar technology to track German subs in some part of the world. The story was too close to facts so they confiscated all FH issues they could from the printers that month, but some made it to the news stands.