• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

Yikes. I hate brittle pages.

Yah, me too. Page quality on that issue is tricky, and probably outweighs resto. Artboy has a nice fresh page copy I recall.

My copy which I purchased because of the page quality. While searching for my 15 all I found were copies with brittle pages. The 3.0 shown, and the 2.5 were copies I considered and even made a run at before bowing out due to the brittle pages.

Here is mine which has since been cracked out and scanned for PS Artbooks!:

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

#15 rarely become available in any grade. I took a serious run at the #2 this time around, but was the under bidder. Some day I will get my #2 and #15's

Jason

2 and 15 were 2 of the last 3 I needed for my own run.

Cheetah's last book was issue 2. Says to me that issue 2 is also very hard to come by. In the last year I have seen about 6-7 copies of number 2 for sale.

I note the Metropolis Larsen copy of #2 is no longer listed, I wonder if it sold?

As to issue 14: I have never seen a copy higher than a 2.0. I have been looking...

Went after the Cage 14 the night it was auctioned had dust shadows like the 15 and haven't seen it since.Should have pulled the trigger a little harder that night for some of the others.That is how life is you think you will get a another chance at something and it never happens. :(

With so many books to still complete my run (roughly 36 left now), I don't feel so bad when I miss out on an issue.

As I approach the finish line, it might not be as easy to swallow the losses as it is now.

Yes, Planet 15 is generally considered the rarest issue of the run. I was an under bidder on that one along with a few other boardies I suspect.

Why did I think it was 14 that was the toughest? Maybe I am thinking it was the last one Cheetah needed for his run, but perhaps he was just being picky.

The last one cheetah needed was #2. Always underestimated!

#14 and #15 are both very tough - #14 more so than we used to imagine. #15 is probably marginally tougher I think, though that's arguable. But neither has surfaced in high grade as far as I know.

15 may be a bit tougher overall, but I've seen maybe 10 copies of 15 and 7-8 of those had brittle/slightly brittle pages. So when it comes to a collectible copy, 15 is much more difficult.

It's interesting that FH in general during that 2-3 month stretch are usually the most difficult ones to find of the run. Presumptively there was a distribution issue, or with the lower PQ and inks it could have been a supply-chain problem.

Wasn't there a problem because FH inadvertently breached WW2 security and copies from those months had to be withdrawn?

I don't know what WWII security FH would've been breaching prior to Pearl Harbor. The U.S. wasn't on war footing beyond lend-lease and there weren't any paper restrictions in place when Planet #15 was on the stands (Aug. 12, 1941). (shrug)

It was talked about somewhere deep deep deep within the FH anyone thread in GA, but from what I somewhat remember in one of the FH issues it had a story where USA was using a new sonar technology to track German subs in some part of the world. The story was too close to facts so they confiscated all FH issues they could from the printers that month, but some made it to the news stands.

I vaguely remember something being said about that in an old thread, but I don't recall reading any testimonial evidence lending credence to the story. It is a great story, nonetheless, and if it can be verified it raises other questions such as...

How was the confiscation achieved in secrecy without drawing attention to it?

Was FH paid for the seized copies?

Did the government destroy the comics or warehouse them as evidence to hold over the publisher in the event of any further Inadvertent security breach?

Since we weren't at war, under what law were the comics seized? hm

This is worth repeating. I'll bet Fishler is beside himself for this book.

Leaning towards 9.6

Yes, Fishler's holy grail!!!

Didn't he buy up every single copy that surfaced back in the 90's, even down to the pissss poor copies that were ready to fall apart in your hands?

Now, let's see....if he would offer up his 9.0 copy of Action 1, then JB might be willing to consider making the trade. lol

Then again...

JonBrianAction1.jpg

Leaning towards 9.6

Didn't he buy up every single copy that surfaced back in the 90's, even down to the pissss poor copies that were ready to fall apart in your hands?

Now, let's see....if he would offer up his 9.0 copy of Action 1, then JB might be willing to consider making the trade. lol

Then again...

JonBrianAction1.jpg

Ha hilarious, yeah I don't think there is anything that's going to pry that Fantastic 3 away....

#15 rarely become available in any grade. I took a serious run at the #2 this time around, but was the under bidder. Some day I will get my #2 and #15's

Jason

#2 Has always been one of my favorite of the run.

PlanetComics002copy_zps742709b3.jpg

Very nice copy!

Total so far is 4,421,883....right on target for about 5 mil.... tomm the real bargains.....with no live auctioneer.

Hey Mitch;

Do you have the split between the comic books on the first day versus the original art from the second day?

Any highlights or lowlights from the second day in terms of the original art?

Comics 1.8 mil, art 2.6 mil

Ward comic book price guide was 17K

GA Daredevil/ claw page was 10K

Barks Duck oil 71,700

Cracked # 5 cover 10K

Willamson Valor story 28K

Stevens Rocketeer cover unsold (47K min bid with bp)

Leaning towards 9.6

Then again...

JonBrianAction1.jpg

That is exactly why I used the terminology "might" as I already knew that he had a nice copy of Action 1 in his collection.

Any idea if JB's copy would happen to be the Larson copy as he always seem to have a penchant for collecting the Larson books? hm

How long is the signature event after the live proxy bidding ends?

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but the live auction begins today at 1 pm central. No live on-screen auctioneer for this session, but the bidding is live.

Oh yeah wasn't sure what it was called. What time does the live auction end today?

It ends when they have run the course of all the items up for auction. There is no set time. It takes as long as it takes.

Some items are completed very quickly, others can take time to complete, it all depends on how many people are bidding.