• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

I was sitting there watching the one book I really wanted to win. It said I was winning all the way through and then the auction closed. This morning it says I lost by one bid increment. How the heck did that happen???

I'm not sure this would account for it, but I sometimes find it confusing when I top the current bid but the previous high bidder has activated the "protected bid increment" thing or whatever it's called.

I know that I put in some bids where it instantly flipped back to my losing, presumably because the previous high bidder's bid protection kicked in. A bit of inattention and the auction closes without my quite realizing that I hadn't won it.

I would guess that if you want to follow up with them, they would be able to check the logs and see the sequence of bids.

..... I've actually gotten caught up in the fervor and outbid myself..... it shows as an increased bid at first but the final hammer reflects the lower of the two.... thankfully. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...as for Suspense 3..... it's the very definition of Icon Cover.... few books that aren't part of a mainstream run pose a threat to it's notoriety. Phantom Lady 17, Startling 49, Great 3 ....... maybe (shrug)

I was sitting there watching the one book I really wanted to win. It said I was winning all the way through and then the auction closed. This morning it says I lost by one bid increment. How the heck did that happen???

Do you think your final bid did not go thru or were you leading with a pre-auction bid?

leading with a pre-auction bid. It said "you are winning" all the way through the closing of the lot. The bid button isn't active when you are leading.

Do you think your final bid did not go thru or were you leading with a pre-auction bid?

leading with a pre-auction bid. It said "you are winning" all the way through the closing of the lot. The bid button isn't active when you are leading.

Wow. Never experienced that. Definite bummer.

I would think it would be worth inquiring about.

I noticed yesterday, when you are watching that 5 second countdown before a lot closes... sometimes the clock would skip numbers, doing something like 5...4...1... closed. I chalked this up to some sort of lag issue. But if bidding happened during that missing time, you wouldn't see it. I can see how that could cause you to lose a lot you thought you had won.

I noticed yesterday, when you are watching that 5 second countdown before a lot closes... sometimes the clock would skip numbers, doing something like 5...4...1... closed. I chalked this up to some sort of lag issue. But if bidding happened during that missing time, you wouldn't see it. I can see how that could cause you to lose a lot you thought you had won.
during Heritage Live, they don't count down with a clock. They do post the "Fair Warning" sign though.

The countdown is there, at least on safari on a mac. It's not in the pane where they show the bids (that's where you'll see "fair warning.") I think it's on the bid button, or right above or below the bid button.

Right. It's text on the red bid button. But if the button remained grey all the way to the end of the auction, there was literally nothing he could have done. Well worth looking into, I think.

If it wasn't a software and/or incompatibility glitch you may have experienced the same thing that happened with my Weird Fantasy #20 bid.

I followed my winning bid until the lot closed and assumed the auction was over. While I was doing my victory lap Junkdrawer pointed out that the real auction hadn't started yet. :facepalm:

That's when it started to sink in that I'd just been following the pre-action count-down.

The Heritage Live auction was scheduled to start immediately after the lots closed (as opposed to the day after).

Since there's no voice auction on the last day I'd assumed that the countdown WAS the auction. :blush:

When the real auction started the bidding is handled as usual, with red bid and cut bid buttons and "beeps", just no visible/audible auctioneer.

doh!

Not any above 9.0.... The price is staggering 175,000 +... It puts the book in a different universe.

Or we could put another spin on it since every story has 2 different sides.

Since Magik had to pay 10 times top of guide to buy the book from Gerber in the first place, this looks like a big hit relative to the guide since he was only able to get just over 3X condition guide on this sale. That's a loss of almost 7X guide for Magik on this book. :cry::takeit:

Maybe we should start up a collection for poor old Magik! lol

The price on this book is a "game changer"....it looks like the nontraditional big boy titles are gonna take a price jump...especially top graded CGC unrestored copies...

Among the super rich comic fans I have met many seem also to be fans of horror and horrific art. So I wouldn't bet big bank that the rise of "nontraditional" books will lift all non-hero books in the same way.

Bill, the same thing happened to me last week on a Sunday auction. I was actively bidding, I watched the auction close as the winner. Next morning I woke up and it said I lost.

Not any above 9.0.... The price is staggering 175,000 +... It puts the book in a different universe.

Or we could put another spin on it since every story has 2 different sides.

Since Magik had to pay 10 times top of guide to buy the book from Gerber in the first place, this looks like a big hit relative to the guide since he was only able to get just over 3X condition guide on this sale. That's a loss of almost 7X guide for Magik on this book. :cry::takeit:

Maybe we should start up a collection for poor old Magik! lol

The price on this book is a "game changer"....it looks like the nontraditional big boy titles are gonna take a price jump...especially top graded CGC unrestored copies...

Among the super rich comic fans I have met many seem also to be fans of horror and horrific art. So I wouldn't bet big bank that the rise of "nontraditional" books will lift all non-hero books in the same way.

I don't completely agree with Mitch that this will be a "game changer" for non-traditional big boy titles (although the realized price may have an enduring impact), but your comment about the super rich being fans of horror and the horrific gave me pause. Classifying folks interests solely by their bank accounts is just a bit too judgmental for my tastes. The popularity of horror comic art isn't bound by economic factors nor is it limited to a prurient interest in the horrific. I think we should be looking elsewhere. There are several other things that might contribute more to the increased interest in Suspense #3.

1) First and foremost, the surge in popularity of Alex Schomburg's art.

2) The second factor is the book's bold subject matter: hooded nazi klansmen threatening to sacrifice a bound woman in a heinous ritual.

3) Apparent low distribution of this title (low census numbers in grade)

This may be the trifecta for Suspense #3. Will it translate to big money for other titles with similar themes (hooded tutonic klansmen, tortured women, etc.) or is this an isolated instance? Time will tell.