• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

It may be time for another episode in the popular series "Sqeggs's Tales of Early Fandom."

As anyone with a copy of the first printing of the first edition of Overstreet knows, it was originally titled the Overstreet Price List, not Price Guide. Bob was short of money and intended to sell off his collection. The book was his sales catalog.

But so many people requested a copy -- mistaking it for a price guide -- that he realized he could sell copies and make enough dough not to have to give up his collection. On the second printing he changed the title to Price Guide, and the rest, my friends, is history.

One of the few fans who realized that the first printing was a sales catalog was Chuck Rozanski. I remember talking with him at the time, and, man, was he jealous! "What a fabulous collection that *&$# Overstreet has. What I wouldn't give to have something like it!"

"Chuck," I said, "what about that load of the Church kids were trying do dump on you?" He got kind of thoughtful, "Well, normally I wouldn't touch stuff like that -- most of it was stored in a basement, you know ... but maybe ... hmm."

Just the way it happened. You could look it up! :preach:

Such an awesome story, thanks for sharing!! I had no idea!! Does chuckles at least pay you some sort of residual in cash or books for the advice?! :)

:idea:

so far, the majority of posters have stated that do NOT use OSPG for pricing key comics...I would say my position has some support hm

that said, please don't confuse my "not relevant" statement to be a general statement of the guide.... couldn't be further from the truth...

the guide has always been the "bible" for comic collectors... it is invaluable in so many senses, and it is still a very used guide for pricing many many thousands of more common comics...

but, as is readily apparent to me (even if not to ciorac :baiting: ), very few, it any , really, truly use the guide to price keys these days (which was my only point) ...it is just not practical and is virtually not relevant for those top books ...

I honestly couldn't tell you (because I haven't looked in years) what the guide is for AF15 in any grade...but I can tell you what it sells for in just about every grade... to me, that defines my position (and for many)...

now, green lantern 17?...you bet, I need the guide to establish some pricing guidelines because it is not a book that sells prominently every day, and not one that most folks follow...

I rest my case :foryou:

Unless you edited your original post you didn't limit your initial commentary on the Guide to just keys. Hence my retort

GPA is fairly useless on most golden age, including many keys. Outside of the top 10 books there aren't enough data points to truly assess what market might be for the other keys.

Over time as more come to market, and more public sales happen on those other books, then we will see what the market really is.

If big runs of collections come into your store, sans big keys, I'm sure you pop open the guide to get a feel for what to pay. At least you should since you don't deal in those types of comics very often. Your view, as I've stated before, is a narrow one because you sell a narrow slice of the market.

Here's a counterpoint Bill. Your own view is very narrow as well! :foryou: Non key golden age that don't move much. That's like 2% of what's out there. The guide is flat wrong for silver, flat wrong for bronze, flat wrong for copper, flat wrong for anything since then too. I get that this post is in gold not general, and your own collecting focus is one where perhaps (maybe) you crack open the guide. But for 99% of comic collectors in general.... the pricing information is no longer a reason to buy the guide.

so far, the majority of posters have stated that do NOT use OSPG for pricing key comics...I would say my position has some support hm

that said, please don't confuse my "not relevant" statement to be a general statement of the guide.... couldn't be further from the truth...

the guide has always been the "bible" for comic collectors... it is invaluable in so many senses, and it is still a very used guide for pricing many many thousands of more common comics...

but, as is readily apparent to me (even if not to ciorac :baiting: ), very few, it any , really, truly use the guide to price keys these days (which was my only point) ...it is just not practical and is virtually not relevant for those top books ...

I honestly couldn't tell you (because I haven't looked in years) what the guide is for AF15 in any grade...but I can tell you what it sells for in just about every grade... to me, that defines my position (and for many)...

now, green lantern 17?...you bet, I need the guide to establish some pricing guidelines because it is not a book that sells prominently every day, and not one that most folks follow...

Any surge in the market will be ignored by Overstreet. Baker romance being a case in point. [i once picked up a Cinderella Love #25 in Fine for $10 - strict guide when the book had already surged]

I would rely on GAtor for accurate valuation, not just of keys, but many other GA books.

But Bill is also right about the value and use of the guide.

I don't find the two positions incompatible. Both have practical application.

Do you have to be so fair-minded? :taptaptap:

Here's a counterpoint Bill. Your own view is very narrow as well! :foryou: Non key golden age that don't move much. That's like 2% of what's out there. The guide is flat wrong for silver, flat wrong for bronze, flat wrong for copper, flat wrong for anything since then too. I get that this post is in gold not general, and your own collecting focus is one where perhaps (maybe) you crack open the guide. But for 99% of comic collectors in general.... the pricing information is no longer a reason to buy the guide.

how is 99.9% of all golden age comics narrow? I sell lots of them. As do dealers like Harley, Terry, Jamie, etc. And yes, they use their Guide

Any surge in the market will be ignored by Overstreet. Baker romance being a case in point. [i once picked up a Cinderella Love #25 in Fine for $10 - strict guide when the book had already surged]

I would rely on GAtor for accurate valuation, not just of keys, but many other GA books.

But Bill is also right about the value and use of the guide.

I don't find the two positions incompatible. Both have practical application.

Do you have to be so fair-minded? :taptaptap:

Lois, I cannot lie.

By the way, I had no idea you had such a strong connection to the history. Compelling stuff! You should tell us more.

Reminisce already!

how is 99.9% of all golden age comics narrow? I sell lots of them. As do dealers like Harley, Terry, Jamie, etc. And yes, they use their Guide

Most collectors don't collect GA. Shocking I know :o:eek:

Besides. Run of the mill GA aren't exactly hard to price for the most part. Avg condition. Junque is $100 and less, more interesting around 200, interesting 300-500, anything above 500 is very early or well known / very interesting. There. I just did Bob's job in one sentence :sumo:

Do I need a guide to know that a late run copy of Big Town or True Comics in vg is worthless ? (shrug)

Besides. Run of the mill GA aren't exactly hard to price for the most part. Avg condition. Junque is $100 and less, more interesting around 200, interesting 300-500, anything above 500 is very early or well known / very interesting. There. I just did Bob's job in one sentence :sumo:

:eyeroll::facepalm:

I think the AA 16 will sell below $100k. I'm guessing $75k

Well, if this turns out to be the case this would represent a pretty substantial downdraft on this book, as this would mean even be a large discount to guide.

Especially since other key GA books are able to fetch substantial premiums to guide in today's hot market, even non-hot less popular books like 'Tec 38 which is apparently going for well over guide now for both low grade and even restored copies according to the other thread. :o

as a long timer, its "fun" to hear folks still refer to "relative to guide" pricing when it comes to keys... we all know the guide has little bearing or relevance these days, but still brings a smile to my face to here it :cloud9:

Unless you edited your original post you didn't limit your initial commentary on the Guide to just keys. Hence my retort

didnt edit my post as you can see above...bolded for you where I specified "keys"...the next statement was in support of previous statement (thumbs u

Well, if this turns out to be the case this would represent a pretty substantial downdraft on this book, as this would mean even be a large discount to guide.

Especially since other key GA books are able to fetch substantial premiums to guide in today's hot market, even non-hot less popular books like 'Tec 38 which is apparently going for well over guide now for both low grade and even restored copies according to the other thread. :o

as a long timer, its "fun" to hear folks still refer to "relative to guide" pricing when it comes to keys... we all know the guide has little bearing or relevance these days, but still brings a smile to my face to here it :cloud9:

didnt edit my post as you can see above...bolded for you where I specified "keys"...the next statement was in support of previous statement (thumbs u

If we all pay attention to each others views, we might have a new and much needed synthesis. So both of you get off the hundred mile stare. The past is prologue. And I should know.

If we all pay attention to each others views, we might have a new and much needed synthesis. So both of you get off the hundred mile stare. The past is prologue. And I should know.

bill's one of the smartest guys I know... we are just funning at this point...

bill's one of the smartest guys I know... we are just funning at this point...

You are both two of the smartest etc etc. And so am I.

Funning that is.

Do I need a guide to know that a late run copy of Big Town or True Comics in vg is worthless ? (shrug)

Most collectors are the great unwashed. GA collectors are the cream, and even Gator likes soap. (thumbs u

bill's one of the smartest guys I know...

First you disparage the Price Guide, then this? Only a Florida grad could get that much stuff wrong in one day.

First you disparage the Price Guide, then this? Only a Florida grad could get that much stuff wrong in one day.

it takes 2 uf degrees to be that wooden-headed.

You definitely didn't edit it. You continue to spell it "here" instead of "hear". UF education, indeed.

correct. He should have said THE smartest guy he knows. Not one of the...