• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current vs Standard size bags and boards

28 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm about to rebag most of my collection in mylar and can't decide whether to go with standard size bags or current size. 99.99% of my collection is from the modern era. I'm gonna get Mylite2s and Fullbacks.

Would the current bags be too snug? Would the Standard size be too loose? which is better, loose or snug? I feel like in the current size bags if I was to drop a comic on its corner there would be no buffer, but if I dropped one in the standard size bag there would be a bit of a crumple zone. (looking at this visual guide http://www.comiccollecting.org/page/visual-guide-to-mylar-sizes/ )

Or would the looseness of the standard bags be a detriment? The comic being able to wiggle around in the bag would lead to less protection? Would current bags squeeze the comic?

I'm probably overthinking this but if I'm gonna rebag everything I don't want to have to RE-rebag it after finding out I don't like the bags I got.

Also what do you guys use?

Thanks for your help

I use current size only for moderns with 22pt boards(halfbacks). They're too tight to fit fullbacks and comics into them. They are rigid enough to withstand a drop of about two to three feet from my experience, I mean it's no garantee but they are infinitely better than standard bags at surviving an impact on the corners.

Anything of value goes into standard with fullback for moderns.

I've considered both but went with Standard with fullbacks for everything. I don't regret it. Only downside is if you drop the comic or bump it it could move around a bit if you're ocd about centering it. Also I'd recommend buying the 1000 pack since it'll save you a lot in the long run.

I bought mine straight from egerber. It was 2 years ago so I hope they updated their system but it seems pretty sketchy. You do everything on the phone and they don't update you on anything. I just got the bags and board about 2 weeks later.

I've been using Ultra Pro Comic Preservers for my collection. People either love them or hate them, but for me I like the sturdiness of them and the fact that the board is built into the bag. Some have said that they're not great for long term archival. Not sure personally.

Anyone else use them?

No I don't think any of ultra pro's products last. They're regular bags and boards that should be changed every few years. I like how with mylar I don't ever have to change them or worry about discoloration.

I've been using Ultra Pro Comic Preservers for my collection. People either love them or hate them, but for me I like the sturdiness of them and the fact that the board is built into the bag. Some have said that they're not great for long term archival. Not sure personally.

Anyone else use them?

They're not archival safe and ridiculously overpriced to boot.

I've never been a fan of current or standard sizes. I always go for the extra space and put everything in silver.

Standard size for mylars is actually wider than the silver size for poly bags - 7 1/4" vs 7 1/8". There's no silver size for mylars - the one up from Standard is Silver/Gold which is way too roomy for modern books.

I've never been a fan of current or standard sizes. I always go for the extra space and put everything in silver.

Standard size for mylars is actually wider than the silver size for poly bags - 7 1/4" vs 7 1/8". There's no silver size for mylars - the one up from Standard is Silver/Gold which is way too roomy for modern books.

Oh I didn't know that.

Can you fit silver books in Standard than?

Oh I didn't know that.

Can you fit silver books in Standard than?

Sure can.

My silver age (1968) iron mans fit in Standard. But my 1965 Our Fighting Forces does not.

I prefer to put them in BCW silver age mylars. They are 1/4" narrower than the silver/gold Gerbers.So they fit in my short boxes for width (but just barely. It's a snug fit).

I'll take a few pics.