• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current vs Standard size bags and boards

28 posts in this topic

To answer Chris in Baltimore's question.

This is a modern inside of a Gerber mylar Current:

20011014606_c993aa3e87_c.jpg

I've recently started doing this for con floppies and modern keys.

This is a silver age "our fighting forces" circa '65 on top of a Standard. It's just a tad too snug to get into the bag by itself, much less with a backer. As you can see there is about an 1/8" on either side, but it's just not enough clearance for the stiffer mylar:

19850645669_202b0da539_c.jpg

And this is a the same silver age "our fighting forces" inside a BCW "Silver":

19414859144_8b32b30e7f_c.jpg

And lastly, this is the same BCW "Silver" bag with an Iron Man from '68 inside. The iron man is not quite a 1/4" smaller than the Our Fighting.:

19850981599_5074c28dd3_c.jpg

Edited by Firespitter

Thanks for the pics (thumbs u

Do you need bigger boxes for the silver/gold Gerbers? I've been saying for the last few years that I was going to convert over my silver collection to mylar and I really need to. I don't want to have to turn over the boxes too.

To answer Chris in Baltimore's question.

This is a modern inside of a Gerber mylar Current:

20011014606_c993aa3e87_c.jpg

I've recently started doing this for con floppies and modern keys.

This is a silver age "our fighting forces" circa '65 on top of a Standard. It's just a tad too snug to get into the bag by itself, much less with a backer. As you can see there is about an 1/8" on either side, but it's just not enough clearance for the stiffer mylar:

19850645669_202b0da539_c.jpg

And this is a the same silver age "our fighting forces" inside a BCW "Silver":

19414859144_8b32b30e7f_c.jpg

And lastly, this is the same BCW "Silver" bag with an Iron Man from '68 inside. The iron man is not quite a 1/4" smaller than the Our Fighting.:

19850981599_5074c28dd3_c.jpg

Those pictures ain't right.

This is what a modern book looks like inside an E Gerber M2 in the current size:

modern-700m2.jpg

This is a modern looks like inside an E Gerber M2 in the standard size:

modern-725m2.jpg

The BCW silver size mylars are 7 1/4" wide - which is the exact same width as the E Gerber standard size mylars. The BCW silver size poly bags are 7 1/8" wide.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-supplies/comic-bags

Thanks for the pics (thumbs u

Do you need bigger boxes for the silver/gold Gerbers? I've been saying for the last few years that I was going to convert over my silver collection to mylar and I really need to. I don't want to have to turn over the boxes too.

The Silver/Gold Gerber m2s are 7 3/4" wide - they won't fit in regular shortboxes. They will, however, fit in the Acid Free boxes Gerber sells:

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=451&SubcategoryID=557

I'm not trying to be argumentative or complicate matters. But this is the pack that the "current" holding Archie 666 Demonmicon came out of. And it does say "Current" mylites 2. Perhaps there is a bit of variance in the manufacture (of the comic books):

19853510809_90fd87d8a4_c.jpg

And this is a pic the BCW "Silver" on a ruler. I'm pretty sure it's stated as being 7.5" wide but it actually measures about a 16th of an inch wider. Where as Gerber Standard are "725" or 7.25" wide. Gerber Standard aren't the same size as the BCW silver.

20013876876_de8be50359_c.jpg

Having said all of that. If you want extra crumple protection, go with the Standard. I like the compact nature of the Current. But I probably wouldn't if my Archie/Image/Dark horse moderns were fitting the way that Sandman looks.

Edited by Firespitter

Anyone notice wave or rippling in comics packed in bags that are too wide for the comic? Most of my modern books appear to ripple or wave on the top if not sealed tight or packed between other books, and I wonder if that could result in permanent misshape. 

I just got a 1000 M2 and Halfbacks in Gold/Silver size, they are very wide, the plus is I can put 2 issues per.  But as I moved from the 1970s Amazing Spider-man to the 1980's issues in my re-bag to Mylar project for my Spider-man collection, theere is even more room when I put 2 per bag/board.  Can you put 2 comics per if they are standard size M2s? 

Also, I just purchased Spectacular Spider-man 1-65 from a local collector, he put them in PP/PE (not sure which) in the late 1970's/ early 1980's and never re-bagged... they had been in the same bags for over 35 years.  Yes the bags were wavy and some stuck together and the boards were yellow, but the comics are in great shape.  He stored them in boxes in his finished basement room (climate controlled) and they were off the floor.