• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, I need some advice regarding my comic theft - UPDATE : CAUGHT!

209 posts in this topic

Try going to the police station in person.

Yup.

Unbelievable that nobody has followed up.

I'd escalate it to a superior. This is not good press for the PD.

This is probably the best bet. Go in person, ask to speak to the officer you spoke to boss. Tell them you'll just sit and wait if need be. Managers tend to not want problems and just want problems to go away.

Walter did you get your books back? Chip I know it wouldn't be the smart thing to do but I would be so tempted to get a couple of friends and meet up with this guy and get my stuff back. :mad:

Yes I know that wouldn't be the smart thing to do but it's what I would want to do.

Do not try to do it yourself. You know nothing about this person or what he is capable of. I agree that you should go to the department itself and ask to talk to detectives.

+1 He's right. Also a lot of what Kav and the others said sounded like good advice (thumbs u good luck and I hope you get your stuff back

What if you met with the guy,bought the books with a check then cancel the check at your bank? hm

Regular people don't take checks on Craigslist sales. I'm pretty certain a thief won't.

What if you met with the guy,bought the books with a check then cancel the check at your bank? hm

Then he would have Chips real name and banking info. In theory he might have stole so much stuff that he doesnt remember where he actually got it from. It could also make it personal for the thief.

Walter did you get your books back? Chip I know it wouldn't be the smart thing to do but I would be so tempted to get a couple of friends and meet up with this guy and get my stuff back. :mad:

Yes I know that wouldn't be the smart thing to do but it's what I would want to do.

OJ is doing life for trying to reclaim his stolen property.

Also, if you write him a bad check, he's got all of your contact info to pursue some sort of retribution, as well as your routing and account numbers to commit fraud on your account, if so inclined.

I'd go to the police in person and politely and patiently make it clear that I'm not leaving the building until I speak with a superior officer.

Go to the police station and tell them all the details including that you already spoke to another officer who has been blowing you off.

Then tell them you have talked to the local news, and they are interested in doing a piece on the story, but you don't want to embarrass the police so you thought you would come down here to the station and give them one more chance to handle it before going ahead with the news story.

Tell them how you know they are busy, and have bigger crimes to handle, but this is important to you, and how you make your living, so if they can't/won't help you, then you have no choice but to go to the news.

In my neighborhood, I would call the guy, set up the meeting, have at least two friends go with me, but in a separate car, and then come up to the guy and I after we have met and been talking for a minute or two(so he doesn't see us all walking up to him together) Tell him this is my book, I don't give a sheet where you got it(because he will have a story about how he wasn't the one who stole it) give it and all the others back now, or we will beat the living sheet out of you, and then call the cops, report the theft, and say all the injuries happened when you tripped while trying to run away from us.

People are crazy. This isn't worth getting hurt or killed over. I agree with going to the police station in person. Personally I wouldn't even mention going to the TV with the story unless you absolutely get no response or help. Coming out with a threat early on may not help your situation.

I would imply the news part, so as to not make a false statement to the police. I would also focus on the dollar amount of the goods stolen.

You really think that the police who won't investigate chips case despite all the evidence he has, will suddenly stop everything, and investigate whether he has actually talked to the news yet or not?

I agree with stressing the dollar amount though

Chip whatever happened with that other case you had where you knew who the guy was and where he lived? The one where you called his work and he started saying he was going to charge you with harassment?

4. She said she was going to try and "buy" the books and when the guy showed up for the meet at least get him for possession of stolen property. She said she had to go back to the station to get her gear off so that when she called him her radio wouldn't accidentally "go off" in the middle of the call and tip her hand.

I hate to say this, and unless I missed something, it seems to me like she never planned on following up on this. I would call her supervisor and then their supervisor and keep working my way up until something was done. Just my 2c

Best of luck,

John

In my neighborhood, I would call the guy, set up the meeting, have at least two friends go with me, but in a separate car, and then come up to the guy and I after we have met and been talking for a minute or two(so he doesn't see us all walking up to him together) Tell him this is my book, I don't give a sheet where you got it(because he will have a story about how he wasn't the one who stole it) give it and all the others back now, or we will beat the living sheet out of you, and then call the cops, report the theft, and say all the injuries happened when you tripped while trying to run away from us.

That's all fine and dandy except if he's been into MMA (or other) all his life and kicks your and your friend's teeth in. And that's if your lucky. If you're unlucky he might just pull out a 9mm and empty it out.

Let the police handle it. That's what they're there for. Someone mentioned not to threaten them with taking it to the local news. Good advice. Imply a possible scenario in case of non-action. Also, take it up with a superior at the police station. As others have said, attribute a monetary value to the theft.

I think we all here know that wouldn't be the smart thing to do you might just end up getting yourself into trouble, it's just what most would like to do. As said before probably the right thing to do would be to go to the police again and try to talk to someone else and let them know how much money is really involved here. 2c