• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rai 0 Glossy versus Non-Glossy...

99 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, valiantman said:

I haven't seen anyone put a geography on it before, but we do know that Unity #0 Red (earlier in 1992) was handled differently by Friendly Frank's Distribution than how it was handled by Capital City and Diamond.  Some have said that certain distributors didn't even get Unity #0 Red. I think it's possible that the glossy copies of Rai #0 could have been specific to one geography or specific to one distributor.  What area were you in, and do you know who your distributor was?

Glossy copies of Rai #0 weren't supposed to be anything special. There may be a third/fourth type of paper that hasn't been clearly identified.  It has been said that several options (other types of paper?) were attempted to limit/eliminate the smudging problem.  There's no intentional variant for Rai #0, no premium version was created, but the (now identified) differences are causing differences in the market due to different (available) supplies.

The only glossy copies I own, or have ever owned, I bought from Mile High around 2005 or so...not knowing they were glossy (and they didn't know, either.) 

That tells you nothing of geography, but I have roughly 60-70 copies of Rai #0, and nowhere else have I found any glossies.

I picked up a couple glossy ones at mycomicshop last year from their regular stock. Had no idea until after I bought them as I didn't know there was a differentiation (just got back into collecting). 

15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 8/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, valiantman said:

I haven't seen anyone put a geography on it before, but we do know that Unity #0 Red (earlier in 1992) was handled differently by Friendly Frank's Distribution than how it was handled by Capital City and Diamond.  Some have said that certain distributors didn't even get Unity #0 Red. I think it's possible that the glossy copies of Rai #0 could have been specific to one geography or specific to one distributor.  What area were you in, and do you know who your distributor was?

Glossy copies of Rai #0 weren't supposed to be anything special. There may be a third/fourth type of paper that hasn't been clearly identified.  It has been said that several options (other types of paper?) were attempted to limit/eliminate the smudging problem.  There's no intentional variant for Rai #0, no premium version was created, but the (now identified) differences are causing differences in the market due to different (available) supplies.

The only glossy copies I own, or have ever owned, I bought from Mile High around 2005 or so...not knowing they were glossy (and they didn't know, either.) 

That tells you nothing of geography, but I have roughly 60-70 copies of Rai #0, and nowhere else have I found any glossies.

Is it fair to say that your original owner copies are primarily from early 1990s California/Arizona distribution?

48 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Is it fair to say that your original owner copies are primarily from early 1990s California/Arizona distribution?

Yup.

It's all going to be anecdotal since it has been so long and records were probably poor or non-existent, but it's probably safe to say that Toronto is confirmed for Rai #0 Glossy and "west coast USA" is confirmed for Rai #0 Matte, with few (if any) exceptions. I don't know how many stacks of original owner Rai #0 are out there, but if we can find out more, maybe we can find out more. lol

(There are known knowns, and known unknowns, but we're focused on identifying the unknown unknowns.) :kidaround:

22 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's all going to be anecdotal since it has been so long and records were probably poor or non-existent, but it's probably safe to say that Toronto is confirmed for Rai #0 Glossy and "west coast USA" is confirmed for Rai #0 Matte, with few (if any) exceptions. I don't know how many stacks of original owner Rai #0 are out there, but if we can find out more, maybe we can find out more. lol

(There are known knowns, and known unknowns, but we're focused on identifying the unknown unknowns.) :kidaround:

I have to finish going through mine, but my best 6 copies (the ones I submitted for grading) are probably all from my OO collection, are all Matte, and were purchased on Long Island.

Based on what I've read, there were supposed to be 7.5k glossies in a 115k print run, since they weren't anything special at the time, I was just curious as to where the boxes might of been sent, I did not know there was a glossy version till last year.

I was just wondering which areas got those books when they were released.  More for curiosity than anything else since the book is over 25 years old.  I remember reading somewhere that the rare 35 cent cover variant of Star Wars #1 was only distributed in northern California in 1977.

18 hours ago, Darth Floppy said:

Based on what I've read, there were supposed to be 7.5k glossies in a 115k print run, since they weren't anything special at the time, I was just curious as to where the boxes might of been sent, I did not know there was a glossy version till last year.

I was just wondering which areas got those books when they were released.  More for curiosity than anything else since the book is over 25 years old.  I remember reading somewhere that the rare 35 cent cover variant of Star Wars #1 was only distributed in northern California in 1977.

hm I'm not sure what you've been looking at, but you might want to find some better stuff to read.

Were there printing defects for RAI #0 especially where the blacks are concerned? I bought a 9.6 CGC copy off eBay. It has what appear to be scuffs on the black part of Rai's body. They were not visible in the eBay photos. But look pretty bad in person. 

Looking at other books on eBay, I did find a few with similar scuffs, but more in a band pattern. Pic below of mine, and another for comparison. The seller thinks I'm crazy, but thought I'd ask here 

IMG_20200121_185426~2.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-210428.png

On 1/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, Toymachine78 said:

Were there printing defects for RAI #0 especially where the blacks are concerned? I bought a 9.6 CGC copy off eBay. It has what appear to be scuffs on the black part of Rai's body. They were not visible in the eBay photos. But look pretty bad in person. 

Looking at other books on eBay, I did find a few with similar scuffs, but more in a band pattern. Pic below of mine, and another for comparison. The seller thinks I'm crazy, but thought I'd ask here 

I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like a common issue

On 1/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, Toymachine78 said:

You sure that's on the book, and not the inner well...?