• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rai 0 Glossy versus Non-Glossy...

99 posts in this topic

I guess I should toss this mutant away.......

scan0112_zpsbwm0bch4.jpg

I need that Rai #0. :takeit:

This guy has been lonely too long:

archer0printproblem.jpg

That's kind of a cool error.

Archer & Armstrong 0

It's not an error, it looks like the pressman was washing a blanket or plate while the press was running, sometimes those copies make it to the skid and don't get thrown out like they should.

Rai #0

Looks like there is too much black ink in the rollers or not enough water to clean up the black plate. In this case, the press operator either lowers the ink keys on the console or brings up the water or both.

I guess I should toss this mutant away.......

scan0112_zpsbwm0bch4.jpg

I need that Rai #0. :takeit:

This guy has been lonely too long:

archer0printproblem.jpg

That's kind of a cool error.

Archer & Armstrong 0

It's not an error, it looks like the pressman was washing a blanket or plate while the press was running, sometimes those copies make it to the skid and don't get thrown out like they should.

Rai #0

Looks like there is too much black ink in the rollers or not enough water to clean up the black plate. In this case, the press operator either lowers the ink keys on the console or brings up the water or both.

I meant "error" in the sense that that's not how it was intended to print. I realize that's a result of an issue during the printing.

When I sold the bulk of my collection, I kept my long box of Valiants, figuring that nobody wanted them.  There were five copies of Rai 0, all of them glossy.  I bought those books on release day, I remember running up and down the street buying whatever decent copies were left.  It was a very hot book on release and nobody knew they was a glossy variant.  I submitted the best three for grading this week.

All three have a chance to be 9.8s, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.  Does anyone know how localized the distribution on the glossier version was?  Where I was, all the copies I picked up were glossy, across two or three local stores.

Edited by Darth Floppy

4 hours ago, Darth Floppy said:

When I sold the bulk of my collection, I kept my long box of Valiants, figuring that nobody wanted them.  There were five copies of Rai 0, all of them glossy.  I bought those books on release day, I remember running up and down the street buying whatever decent copies were left.  It was a very hot book on release and nobody knew they was a glossy variant.  I submitted the best three for grading this week.

All three have a chance to be 9.8s, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.  Does anyone know how localized the distribution on the glossier version was?  Where I was, all the copies I picked up were glossy, across two or three local stores.

I haven't seen anyone put a geography on it before, but we do know that Unity #0 Red (earlier in 1992) was handled differently by Friendly Frank's Distribution than how it was handled by Capital City and Diamond.  Some have said that certain distributors didn't even get Unity #0 Red. I think it's possible that the glossy copies of Rai #0 could have been specific to one geography or specific to one distributor.  What area were you in, and do you know who your distributor was?

Glossy copies of Rai #0 weren't supposed to be anything special. There may be a third/fourth type of paper that hasn't been clearly identified.  It has been said that several options (other types of paper?) were attempted to limit/eliminate the smudging problem.  There's no intentional variant for Rai #0, no premium version was created, but the (now identified) differences are causing differences in the market due to different (available) supplies.

Edited by valiantman

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I haven't seen anyone put a geography on it before, but we do know that Unity #0 Red (earlier in 1992) was handled differently by Friendly Frank's Distribution than how it was handled by Capital City and Diamond.  Some have said that certain distributors didn't even get Unity #0 Red. I think it's possible that the glossy copies of Rai #0 could have been specific to one geography or specific to one distributor.  What area were you in, and do you know who your distributor was?

Glossy copies of Rai #0 weren't supposed to be anything special. There may be a third/fourth type of paper that hasn't been clearly identified.  It has been said that several options (other types of paper?) were attempted to limit/eliminate the smudging problem.  There's no intentional variant for Rai #0, no premium version was created, but the (now identified) differences are causing differences in the market due to different (available) supplies.

I was in downtown Toronto, I remember getting to a store on Queen St. and they were sold out, the store down the street (Dragon Lady?) had a decent copy and since everyone was speculating then, I went to a couple of stores on Yonge St. and snagged the other copies I own right now.  I was asking after doing some research, and largely to your invaluable threads that there were only a few thousand glossy copies were printed according to sources.  Assuming they weren't anything special at the time, they should have of just packed the boxes and sent them on their way.

I have been recently wondering, where did those boxes go?

Edited by Darth Floppy

2 minutes ago, Darth Floppy said:

I was in downtown Toronto, I remember getting to a store on Queen St. and they were sold out, the store down the street (Dragon Lady?) had a decent copy and since everyone was speculating then, I went to a couple of stores on Yonge St. and snagged the other copies I owned.  I was asking after doing some research, and largely to your invaluable threads that there were only a few thousand glossy copies were printed according to sources.  Assuming they weren't anything special at the time, they should of just packed the boxes and sent them on their way.

I have been recently wondering, where did those boxes go?

According to the Wiki page, there were different distributors for Canada and Toronto, specifically.  Perhaps the glossy copies went to one or more of those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_market#Canada

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

According to the Wiki page, there were different distributors for Canada and Toronto, specifically.  Perhaps the glossy copies went to one or more of those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_market#Canada

After looking at the Wiki page, it was probably Andromeda, I seem to recall their name coming up during conversations with the store owners/managers of the day. 

I recall that Andromeda was owned by Ron, the owner of the Silver Snail.  I think Ron was the guy I used to deal with at the long gone Bakka book store, just before he open the Snail in 1976(?).  My first major purchase from Bakka was a VG copy of FF #49 for $6, which was a good chuck of change for a little kid on an allowance in the 70s.