• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost in collecting- Om's Journal by oldmilwaukee6er
1 1

403 posts in this topic

The Lady Speaks. . .Godshaper

The comic landscape has been fairly unfulfilling as of late.  If one isn't all that into superheroes or transmedia properties, there's not a lot going on that is good.  Full disclosure: I was weaned on the X-Men in the late 80's and 90's.  At one point I was collecting not just the X-Men titles, but Excalibur, X-Factor, and X-Force.  I also collected any crossovers the mutants did with other characters (Death's Head, Spider-Man, etc). I had a substantial lag in my mutant collecting in the 00's due to Baton Rouge not having a comic book store the last three years I lived there.  When I tried to pick back up with my favorite mutants, I didn't really like them.  Too many death/rebirth, reboots, changes of heart, changes of values, changes in powers, etc.  There wasn't an easy on-ramp to the X-Men. 

Despite my love of the Batman mythos, the reality is that most superhero comics are simultaneously boring and too complicated to really enjoy.  Marvel seems bent on proving this with its continual rebooting and canceling of titles.  Bleeding Cool addressed this yesterday.  So for me, the mainstream MCU/DCU stuff isn't of much interest.  I read Faith from Valiant for a while but even it became a lot of the same tropes over and over, just with a fat girl overlay (which I really appreciate even still). 

I've found some joy in reading Titan's transmedia properties such as Assassin's Creed and the mini run of Dishonored.  Titan also has one of my old school favorites, Tank Girl.  But none of those are exactly new (especially Tank Girl who quite literally does the same things over and over, but I still love it).  Even IDW's Jem title is a retread of the classic 80's cartoon and toy line. I just dropped Jem after her big reveal to Rio in issue #24.   It goes to new places, but the core of it is pretty much what I watched as an 8 year old.  In all honesty, Munchkin was the last title I looked forward to every month and read right away.  Sadly, it's run ended with issue #25 in January.  So I've been adrift.

Until now.  Leave it to Boom! to produce an exciting new comic book just when I was despairing that I'd have to wander over the to T&A comics to find something not recycled.  I present to you:  Godshaper.  In some ways Godshaper seems similar to Neil Gaiman's works, especially American Gods; however, the humor sets it apart and the unflinching unwillingness to tell the readers too much, too soon.

0afedcf2-9111-4ca6-928b-93d819958a37_zpsudkn0ot1.PNG.19dd55093c9030458cfdc9e046fd195c.PNG

Godshaper takes place in a potentially dystopic world in which religion is the new currency.  Everyone has his/her own god to worship and your wealth is directly tied to how big your god is.  A god can't exist without a human, a human can't have wealth without a god.  Godshapers are the exception.  They have no religion, therefore they have no wealth.  But they aren't destitute for they have the ability to "shape" gods.  You need your god to look more menacing?  A godshaper can do just that for you. 

This is the cover I chose because it's pretty flipping cool, even before cracking the cover.

Godshaper_001_Variant_PROMO-2_zpss4l4xmwa.JPG.ca0463164fe96f5b5d5662bebc06c912.JPG

We follow Ennay, a godshaper as he makes his way through the world.  Remember how I said gods needed humans?  Well, that's not entirely true.  Ennay is traveling with a humanless god named Bud.  Why is Bud without a human?  Who knows.  Hopefully that will be but one of the many stories the comic will weave.  There are so many great thematic avenues this story can go from exploring the relationship between capitalism and religion to asking profound questions about spirituality in general.  As of the first issue, Ennay and Bud are a team.  This allows Ennay to move through the world with his godshaper talents hidden (and lets him play music in a cool underground scene). 

Not only is the story strong, but the character dialogue is fluid and well, reads true to life.  And the art is amazing.

BOOM_Godshaper_FEATURED_zpsmsl6ldbv.JPG.3ba231d5d92247d10f644135260b6753.JPG

For example, the color palette is visually striking.  You can see the gods in their various ghostly shapes (no two gods look alike, although some are similar).  You can see how Ennay is highlighted on stage through multiple colors whereas everyone else is fairly monochromatic.  Ennay's movement on stage is clear, but you can also get a sense of how the other characters in the scene are moving, too.  It's like this all the way through.  Incredibly well done. 

For me, I foresee a future where Bud is made in plushie form and has his own spin-off cartoon on Adult Swim.  He's just that perfect blend of mischievous and adorable like a less annoying Minion or even less vocal Baby Groot.

STL040319-625x352_zpsgrmjdxlw.JPG.e6cadc17e51986925e7cee031faced21.JPG 

I am so excited for this comic and I hope more people read it so it becomes as popular as Lumberjanes and gets a shot at a decent run.  I really don't want this to be the next Munchkin.  This does bring up an interesting question.  Will the smaller publishers be the ones to "save" comics by taking risks on titles such as Godshaper while the big three (DC, Marvel, and Image) take too few risks?  And will publishers like IDW and Titan pigeonhole themselves with other IPs?  I realize Boom! also runs this risk considering it's the home for Adventure Time, The Dark Crystal, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, and Bill & Ted.  But when you look over what Boom's doing right now, there are more new titles such as Godshaper, Unsound, and Misfit City.

I just always have to question where this medium is going and how it's going to continue to survive in an increasingly hostile world.  People don't like to read and if they do, they want it on their phones or tablets.  Movies generate an artificial interest in some characters but not all characters.  Just some food for though.

Most importantly--go pick up Godshaper and give it a shot.  It's good. 

Edited by TheLadySpeaks
Pictures

The Lady Speaks. . .Free Comic Book Day Part One

It's that time of year again where the school year is winding down so I'm at maximum stress and minimum time; however, OM and I did make time to check out Free Comic Book Day 2017.  As usual, we went cosplay medium/light?  I was Spider-Gwen with tights, shirt, and hoodie and OM was in a Deadpool mask and shirt.  He has those pictures so I'll let him post them.  Last week when we received the new Previews we sat down and made our hit lists.  My hit list read: 
Boom! (I was unaware that there were two Boom! anthologies but I like to support Boom!),
Rebirth Wonder Woman (the movie is coming out and if nothing else, I have a friend who really likes Wonder Woman but who doesn't collect comics),
Crossfire (part of the Looking-Glass War saga by Frank Beddor),
Lady Mechanika (a series I've never collected but just love the artwork),
Spill Night by Scott Westerfeld (Westerfeld wrote the excellent Uglies YA series and the less interesting but more popular Leviathan YA series),
and The Legend of Zelda (that game allowed me to waste so many summers). 

Just to be safe I had two backups as well: 
Riverdale (*shrug* the show is super popular on the CW and this book is a one-off especially for FCBD) and
Keyser Soze/The Rift (I'm collecting The Rift at the moment and really enjoying it).

STL035990.jpg.778daf441743bad37dd6f91197000786.jpg

Then we came up with the stores we wanted to hit up.  The plan was to visit Collector's Edge East (our LCS and literally around the corner), The Turning Page (also in the neighborhood and recently refurbed), Lost World of Wonders (the comic book Mecca in Milwaukee), and Collector's Edge South.  After our first two stops, my hit list was complete which left me the luxury to explore other titles.  Well, as much time as you can have when people are forcing through the assembly line.

Stop One:  Collector's Edge East (4 comics each because we were in cosplay)
We hit this location at about 11:15.  The store was busy, but it's such a tiny location that it really doesn't take many people to make it feel crowded.  We cruised in, grabbed our comics, and cruised out.  Books I scored here:  Boom! Fresh Off the Boat; Crossfire; Spill Night; and Lady Mechanika.  Collector's Edge almost always runs a 20% off sale but there was no way you could look around at this location.

Stop Two: The Turning Page (2 comics each, no bonus for cosplay)
This store was also hopping.  It didn't have the full array of titles, but since you can only snag two  that wasn't a huge deal.  I finished my hit list by picking up the last Zelda comic on their table and Rebirth Wonder Woman.  OM also purchased X-Men Gold 2. 

Stop Three: Lost World of Wonders (4 comics each, no bonus for cosplay)
We pulled in to a very full parking lot about approximately 11:50.  The line was super long.  This is the first location where we saw other cosplayers, so that was nice.

IMG_20170506_120539204_HDR.thumb.jpg.2a7417fceb616987e8437d2407a7f5a2.jpg

From the front of the building (Lost World is the yellow sign in the distance).  Last year's line was about this long but this year was different. . .

IMG_20170506_120548952_HDR.thumb.jpg.0eabc61d5d5124e7964de3dee1be3cc1.jpg

as the line continued, curving around the building going all the way to the dumpsters.  Can you spot OM?

I estimate we were in line for 45 minutes.  Luckily one of the guys in line with us was super friendly and he and OM chatted about collecting for most of the wait. 

Lost World keeps the line moving and you really don't have time to hem and haw over the books you want.  On the other hand, Lost World had every FCBD offering plus several of last year's.  I picked up a Bongo (for a friend's kid); Boom! Summer Sizzler; Rick and Morty; and a second copy of Zelda.  I almost grabbed another Assassin's Creed until OM reminded me that the year we are living in is 2017, not 2016 and that I had three copies of that book from last year. 

Lost World was running a 20% off everything sale so I managed to pick up three Neko Atsume plushies

nekoatsume.jpg.10280736b6d2c14645c97b70f1ebc77f.jpg

That's Frosty, Bandit, and Chairman Meow.

Stop Four: Collector's Edge South (number of comic books determined by the owner.  I earned 4 for my cosplay, Om got 6 for his mask).
Collector's Edge South is the mother ship of the Collector's Edge franchise.  It's on Kinnickinnic in Bay View and parking is often a challenge.  On a lovely Saturday that is also Kentucky Derby Day, we found ourselves parking quite a bit away.  But we were undeterred.  By the time we landed here, it was close to 1:30pm.  There was no line.  Out front there was a Captain America, a Wolverine, and a Sand Person (Star Wars).  On our way out they had been joined by a Phoenix.  OM has those pictures, as well.   The store was busy but not an impediment to comic hunting.  I picked up a Riverdale; a second copy of Spill Night; Drawn and Quarterly's Hostage; and Keyser Soze/The Rift.

Because Collector's Edge was running a 20% off sale, I also bought the fourth volume of the Wicked + Divine.

Here's a photo of part of the haul.

IMG_20170507_115110239.thumb.jpg.e774515b8fd8ecc6b45dba8ebf0fcde1.jpg

Somewhere along the line one of us picked up the Oni Press Bad Machinery, too.  It might have been me, but I cannot remember which store I snagged it at.  Possibly I grabbed it at Lost World and not the second Zelda.  Who knows? 

STL036379.jpg.d47a7e643be5a954e2fb43e76a6a554e.jpg

All in all, it was a lovely way to spend a Saturday when one is shirking grading responsibilities.  I've started to read the books I scored but I'll put that in another post.

Next Up The Lady Speaks. . . FCBD Part Two: The Assessining (Yes, I know it's not a real word)

Edited by TheLadySpeaks
Clarification

A few photos... I'll write more soon, but I just finished a 7 hour grading jag and I am going to enjoy a long walk and a slow pint. 

Our second stop of the day, Lost World of Wonders. Shout-out to Demetrius for taking the picture and chatting away to pass the time. 

us.jpg.883d879e12b663bbef400ff0cff4038e.jpg

At the LCS' flagship location posing with some cosplayers... the Owner Man gave me six comics he got a kick out my shirt mask combo

group.jpg.847b28f0626cc268135507d71cecaf29.jpg

Me and Wolvie clowning... The Tusken Raider did the voice perfectly. 

590f873839c6b_wolviedeadpoolsand.jpg.98324a4214af72d92e85be7b098b667a.jpg

On 5/7/2017 at 10:09 AM, TheLadySpeaks said:

The Lady Speaks. . .Free Comic Book Day Part One

It's that time of year again where the school year is winding down so I'm at maximum stress and minimum time; however, OM and I did make time to check out Free Comic Book Day 2017.  As usual, we went cosplay medium/light?  I was Spider-Gwen with tights, shirt, and hoodie and OM was in a Deadpool mask and shirt.  He has those pictures so I'll let him post them.  Last week when we received the new Previews we sat down and made our hit lists.  My hit list read: 
Boom! (I was unaware that there were two Boom! anthologies but I like to support Boom!),
Rebirth Wonder Woman (the movie is coming out and if nothing else, I have a friend who really likes Wonder Woman but who doesn't collect comics),
Crossfire (part of the Looking-Glass War saga by Frank Beddor),
Lady Mechanika (a series I've never collected but just love the artwork),
Spill Night by Scott Westerfeld (Westerfeld wrote the excellent Uglies YA series and the less interesting but more popular Leviathan YA series),
and The Legend of Zelda (that game allowed me to waste so many summers). 

Just to be safe I had two backups as well: 
Riverdale (*shrug* the show is super popular on the CW and this book is a one-off especially for FCBD) and
Keyser Soze/The Rift (I'm collecting The Rift at the moment and really enjoying it).

STL035990.jpg.778daf441743bad37dd6f91197000786.jpg

Then we came up with the stores we wanted to hit up.  The plan was to visit Collector's Edge East (our LCS and literally around the corner), The Turning Page (also in the neighborhood and recently refurbed), Lost World of Wonders (the comic book Mecca in Milwaukee), and Collector's Edge South.  After our first two stops, my hit list was complete which left me the luxury to explore other titles.  Well, as much time as you can have when people are forcing through the assembly line.

Stop One:  Collector's Edge East (4 comics each because we were in cosplay)
We hit this location at about 11:15.  The store was busy, but it's such a tiny location that it really doesn't take many people to make it feel crowded.  We cruised in, grabbed our comics, and cruised out.  Books I scored here:  Boom! Fresh Off the Boat; Crossfire; Spill Night; and Lady Mechanika.  Collector's Edge almost always runs a 20% off sale but there was no way you could look around at this location.

Stop Two: The Turning Page (2 comics each, no bonus for cosplay)
This store was also hopping.  It didn't have the full array of titles, but since you can only snag two  that wasn't a huge deal.  I finished my hit list by picking up the last Zelda comic on their table and Rebirth Wonder Woman.  OM also purchased X-Men Gold 2. 

Stop Three: Lost World of Wonders (4 comics each, no bonus for cosplay)
We pulled in to a very full parking lot about approximately 11:50.  The line was super long.  This is the first location where we saw other cosplayers, so that was nice.

IMG_20170506_120539204_HDR.thumb.jpg.2a7417fceb616987e8437d2407a7f5a2.jpg

From the front of the building (Lost World is the yellow sign in the distance).  Last year's line was about this long but this year was different. . .

IMG_20170506_120548952_HDR.thumb.jpg.0eabc61d5d5124e7964de3dee1be3cc1.jpg

as the line continued, curving around the building going all the way to the dumpsters.  Can you spot OM?

I estimate we were in line for 45 minutes.  Luckily one of the guys in line with us was super friendly and he and OM chatted about collecting for most of the wait. 

Lost World keeps the line moving and you really don't have time to hem and haw over the books you want.  On the other hand, Lost World had every FCBD offering plus several of last year's.  I picked up a Bongo (for a friend's kid); Boom! Summer Sizzler; Rick and Morty; and a second copy of Zelda.  I almost grabbed another Assassin's Creed until OM reminded me that the year we are living in is 2017, not 2016 and that I had three copies of that book from last year. 

Lost World was running a 20% off everything sale so I managed to pick up three Neko Atsume plushies

nekoatsume.jpg.10280736b6d2c14645c97b70f1ebc77f.jpg

That's Frosty, Bandit, and Chairman Meow.

Stop Four: Collector's Edge South (number of comic books determined by the owner.  I earned 4 for my cosplay, Om got 6 for his mask).
Collector's Edge South is the mother ship of the Collector's Edge franchise.  It's on Kinnickinnic in Bay View and parking is often a challenge.  On a lovely Saturday that is also Kentucky Derby Day, we found ourselves parking quite a bit away.  But we were undeterred.  By the time we landed here, it was close to 1:30pm.  There was no line.  Out front there was a Captain America, a Wolverine, and a Sand Person (Star Wars).  On our way out they had been joined by a Phoenix.  OM has those pictures, as well.   The store was busy but not an impediment to comic hunting.  I picked up a Riverdale; a second copy of Spill Night; Drawn and Quarterly's Hostage; and Keyser Soze/The Rift.

Because Collector's Edge was running a 20% off sale, I also bought the fourth volume of the Wicked + Divine.

Here's a photo of part of the haul.

IMG_20170507_115110239.thumb.jpg.e774515b8fd8ecc6b45dba8ebf0fcde1.jpg

Somewhere along the line one of us picked up the Oni Press Bad Machinery, too.  It might have been me, but I cannot remember which store I snagged it at.  Possibly I grabbed it at Lost World and not the second Zelda.  Who knows? 

STL036379.jpg.d47a7e643be5a954e2fb43e76a6a554e.jpg

All in all, it was a lovely way to spend a Saturday when one is shirking grading responsibilities.  I've started to read the books I scored but I'll put that in another post.

Next Up The Lady Speaks. . . FCBD Part Two: The Assessining (Yes, I know it's not a real word)

Thanks for the fun report. Looks like you guys made a day of it and had a great time.

I hit two local stores and took two kids in the neighborhood and my grand daughter. No real lines or hassle. They were great to the kids. First store you got 4 choices but they gave the kids 5. I made sure and spent some money there to support them. I just bought comic supplies since I don't buy new comics any more and they don't do back issues. 

The second store was one book and you had to go inside to get a ticket for it. While in the store browsing, I was told twice to go out side to get my comic if I had a ticket. So out we went, got our comic and were on our way. So much for trying to spend a little dough there...

I don't buy new comics any more so I'm not up on what is good. I ended up with Wonder Woman, Bongo (love the Simpsons), Riverdale (just to see what it was all about) and a couple more random ones. I had to take away the I hate Image book away from a neighbor kid due to the foul language on the first page.

My grandaughter had a blast. She got the DC Superhero Girls, Turtles, Scooby Doo, Bongo and the Sponge Bob Squarepants (which turned out to be my favorite of all of them). I think a couple were left overs from last year but she didn't care. She was disapointed there was not a Disney or Superman book (her favorites). I don't even recall a Walking Dead, Superman, X-Men, Guradians of the Galaxie or any other classic character. What happened to Betty and Veronica?

I wonder how comic book shops even make it these days with comics costing $3-4. each and mostly computer generated anamie art. My two local stores don't carry back issues and probably make it with graphic novels, toys and gaming cards. If it wern't for the movies...

blakelycomicbookday1_zpszz5jklqq.jpg

The Lady Speaks. . .FCBD Part Two: The Assessining

As promised this installment will be my somewhat biased assessment of the various books I picked up at FCBD 2017.  These are not ranked.  This list is simply the order in which I read them.

First up: Rebirth Wonder Woman (DC)

Free-Comic-Book-Day-2016-Wonder-Woman-DC-Comics-Rebirth-FCBD-2017.jpg.149f379adf8afd74f0a533528d2092f9.jpg

This is just a reissue of issue #1 of the new run. It was. . .okay.  It very much reads like the trailers look, so I'm guessing it's tied closer to the movie than to any other universe.  I wanted it to be more exciting.  It didn't feel new or exciting, a trend I'm noticing in more and more "origin" stories for superheroes.  As I said, I have a friend who is a big Wonder Woman fan so I may send it her way.  She'll love it no matter what.

The art was pretty standard superhero fare. 

Next up: The Legend of Zelda (Viz Media)

STL037818.jpg.c723033acf9dbe4a76ea537ff8f4b3c7.jpg

As a gamer nerd since the way back, I was happy to see a Zelda offering.  True to the original game, Zelda is but a referent and isn't actually seen in this comic.  It contains two stories: the first is a retelling of the old sword in the stone myth and the second is more of a history of the Tri-Force.  There's no doubt that this is manga.  Unlike standard American comic books where the spine is to the left, this one comes manga style with the spine to the right which means you read it backward: last page first, from right to left, top to bottom.  It's also black and white.  Purists will be thrilled.  Overall this was a fun offering. 

The stories were good, they moved quick, and the art was efficient.

Third: Lady Mechanika (Benitez Productions)

189320_1052531_1.thumb.jpg.c5649c53eefb36e2910c0c91d255cc55.jpg

I suspect they just reissue #1 every year.  Last year's FCBD had the same cover with a tan background instead of a blue background.  2015 had a red cover.  I guess it's good to reoffer the starting point to your character and series, although it does seem like it may alienate fans.   This story is titled "The Demon of Satan's Alley" and serves as an introduction to our mechanical heroine as well as setting up a lovely 19th century Steampunk universe.  I don't collect this book (although I have picked up mini-runs here and there), but I kind of wish I did.

I'm always attracted to Lady Mechanika because the art is gorgeous.  Detailed, lush, vibrant, the colors, the way the artist uses space--all of it makes for a treat for the eyes. 

Fourth:  Spill Night by Scott Westerfeld (First Squad)

STL035991.jpg.52b4d08165b1c64a099f3f3e13f07aa0.jpg

I was interested in this one mainly because I've read some of Westerfeld's novels.  His YA series Uglies (Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras) was really well done and felt new at the time.  His other well-known series, Leviathan (Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath) was less interesting to me, despite the Steampunk aspect of the series.  I struggled to finish the series.  Spill Night is somewhat of a departure.  It's still very much YA as the main character is a teenager and this world seems to be almost exclusively inhabited by teenagers and their toys after an incident wipes out the adult world.  Our main character's doll, a Raggedy Ann looking thing named Vespetine has a decidedly Nightmares and Fairytales Annabelle feel to her, but she must be an agent of good because she saves not only our main character, but all the children whose toys are part of her "kingdom" (they refer to her as Queen Vespetine). I imagine this comic will draw comparisons to Stranger Things, but it's a dramatically different story.

I liked the simple art of this story, mainly because the story is complex and the juxtaposition works well.  The muted color palette also worked well.

Fifth: Hostage (Drawn and Quarterly)

fcbd17_s_drawn-n-quarterly---guy-delisle-findakly_trondheim_custom-7f28f2eba8ca37f2fe51f3ff63beea658afd69cb-s300-c85.jpg.f6009f731575f203732952c5072c946b.jpg

I had no idea what this book was.  I simply grabbed it because I was in need of a fourth book at Collector's Edge South.  Hostage was an incredibly depressing story about a hostage.  The muted colors and New Yorker-style art made the story all the more desolate.  The second story, Poppies of Iraq, was also incredibly depressing which was enhanced by the cutesy art style and brighter colors.  Poppies in this case are the blood stains left on walls after people have been shot.  This comic is more "literary" and adult than any of the other books I saw.  Even Image's curse words are no match for the heavy hitting subject matter of this comic.

Sixth: Boom! 2017 Summer Blast (Boom!)

STL037772.jpg.47cd95fcaafa29a3674c831f8fb587a3.jpg

I always enjoy Boom!'s FCBD offerings and this year was no different.  As per their norm, the stories in this anthology focus on some of their favorite or newer properties.  In this case the first story is from Mouse Guard.  "The Tale of the Wild Wolf" is a gorgeous little morality tale that was done specifically for FCBD 2017.  It's a tale within a tale so you get some favorite characters and a few new ones.  The second story is a reissue of an issue of The Brave Chef Brianna and her exploits in Monster City.  This is a cute little comic and not one I would have picked up on my own, but I really enjoyed reading it.  The final in the anthology is Lumber Janes: Coady and The Creepies, a partial issue that introduces the reader to a band that consists of three triplets who survived a horrible accident.  Coady survived with no scars or lasting injuries (or did she), Criss is in a wheelchair, and Corey has a large scar on her head.  There's a lot of potential for a wonderfully macabre story based in the punk music scene.

The art in this story is in the spirit of Lumberjanes' artwork. 

Seventh: Boom! Fresh off the Boat (Boom!)

STL037748.jpg.9dac9e49faaa42cb7609b0a102b39191.jpg

I grabbed this because it's Boom!  I didn't make the connection to the television show of the same name until I started reading it.  For the record, I've never watched Fresh off the Boat and have no opinions of it.  This comic was a fun take on the superhero genre. It's also a bit meta because it's a comic within a comic within a larger context of a television show.  I imagine for people who like the show this would be a welcome comic.  As far as I can tell, it was created solely for FCBD and as a tie-in to the show.

Last, but not least: Bad Machinery (Oni Press)

STL036379.jpg.e7301031031da55a48947551e4655d2f.jpg

This is a reprint of the first installment of the 7th volume of this title.  I'd never heard of it before, but obviously it's quite successful.  The premise is that there are 3 boy sleuths and 3 girl detectives at a preparatory school who solve various crimes.  Some have supernatural bends to them.  While this was a fun read, I was often reminded of Neil Gaiman's Dead Boy Detectives.  I'm not sure why this book, with its six very much alive protagonists, would remind me of that title but it did. 

This issue didn't have much of the boys in it and so I at first thought it was just the girls, which I found to be an interesting concept.    If I saw the trades for $5 I would totally pick them up.  I'm not going to chase them down, however. 

So that concludes my wrap up, as hectic as it may be.  Life has been busy and it's going to just get busier for the next few weeks for me.

Edited by TheLadySpeaks
I typed Stan instead of Satan which changes things

The Lady Speaks. . .Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Having not seen Thor 1, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, I cannot speak to how bad or good those movies may be.  What I can say is that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is the worst movie I've seen in the MCU. 

I had low expectations for it, mainly because I am so over Chris Pratt, but I was at least expecting a good popcorn dumb movie.  It delivered on the dumb.  Not so much on the rest.  From the opening sequence with dancing Baby Groot, I knew it was going to be slightly annoying but I wasn't prepared for how boring it was.  Also, the first 30 minutes felt like there was a Guardians 1.5 I missed.  They kept referencing stuff that didn't happen in the first movie but seemed important somehow.

guardiansofthegalaxy2-babygroot-detonator1.thumb.jpg.05bc5e061183bbe588d5485fdb702121.jpg

Baby Groot is like the Minions.  I find him terribly adorable for about five minutes and then just grating after that.  Who takes a toddler into battle?  Because that's essentially with the Guardians do.  Groot is a toddler and they have to babysit him accordingly.  The movie does cram in a couple of Baby Groot heavy scenes so if someone is into that, they'll be happy. 

I won't spoil it, but there's an awful lot of discussions about feelings and parent/family issues.  Unlike Avengers who works the personal struggles into the battle scenes, this movie does not.  They stand. And talk.  And stand some more.  And talk.  Plus, most of the jokes are recycled from the first movie.  They aren't as funny the second time around. 

new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-trailer-world-premiere-2837-still001.jpg.3ff8a31558750f39c95aa065c435e93c.jpg

Mantis was pretty cool, but she's in the mold of the "hot kick butt chick with the mind of a child" trope that is somewhat insulting.  Gamora and Nebula never get to do anything but beat up on each other.  Starlord should stick to comedy because Pratt is dreadful at anything but.  Rocket was funny until they burdened him with emotions and feels.  Drax is probably the highlight of this movie.  Kurt Russell was a good choice for Ego but do we really need both Stallone and Hasselhoff wedged into the movie?

The movie is gorgeously filmed and at points beautiful when it comes to scenery.  There are several laugh out loud moments but they are few and far between.  I really enjoyed the Sovereigns, but in the end they were relatively minor.  I do like that the Guardians have no qualms about killing.  For all the morality in the rest of the movie, when it comes time to get stuff done, there's no ethics debate or philosophical stands, they just shoot.  Overall, however, I don't care about these characters.

I know this movie is doing insane at the box office and everyone loves it.  Some articles have gone so far as to declare that it breaks the formulaic Marvel movie.  It doesn't.  It's the exact same trajectory of: recap last movie in quips, internal character struggles lead to challenging group dynamic, outside threat forces everyone to unite, someone dies/is terribly injured/arrested, baddies get beat down, the end.

Edited by TheLadySpeaks

The Lady Speaks. . .Comic Roundup

First up: World Reader (Aftershock)

This is a book that I guess was hot from issue one.  I'm not entirely sold on it yet.  We follow Sarah, who is a psychic-type on a space mission with a sympathetic-ish doctor (Dr. Youssef), a devoted astronaut (Harris), and a big ol' pile of cliched mean captain (Captain).  Oh, and there's a robot running their ship.  It's name is Kirby.  They're exploring why planets that once had life are now all dead.  Sarah's abilities allow her to contact dead souls on the planets, but Captain thinks she's a seizure-prone liability and doesn't believe nor respect her abilities.  After her exploits in issue #1, issue #2 finds her confined to the spaceship.  It's not hard for her to convince the AI to let her go, however.

wr1.jpg.77b5730004d1fce96a36e309aca96dd4.jpg

Great cover.

bookWR_02_c1.jpg.e0c3c0b9369e8f717dcbdcd64fd1d9e3.jpg

The first two issues so far have mostly been about Sarah's interactions, Captain's disbelief, and some shoehorned in biblical stories (mainly the Tower of Babel).  There's also an attempt to make their mission sound super sneaky and possibly vital to humanity's survival.  But since Captain is written so stereotypical and rigid, it's hard to sense much urgency.  After to speaking to one soul, Sarah learns that there is something called The Faded Man who is an eater of souls, destroyer of worlds.  This inspires Sarah to recruit Harris, steal the ship, and set off for another dead planet which will be the basis of issue 3. 

501137._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg.47952ce9e35856d1b5c0ba0a7ed2cba0.jpg

As it stands right now, I don't really care about any of the characters and I'm hoping something happens soon.

The art isn't really to my liking.  The color choices are nice, but the art is simplistic which might work with a complicated story line but at this point, the story isn't that complex.WORLDREADER_01_PREVIEW-7-1.jpg.84a4566216cc77fd308cd282158f2756.jpg

012-worldreader-01-991579.jpg.9c761ba6f63cbd31c11492482a3463b7.jpg

Second Comic: Damned (Oni Press)

From the get-go I enjoyed this one.  I'm in a bit of a reading rut where I'm drawn to comics involving music, demons, ghosts, and other beings. 

damned.jpg.bdb2e48a84cc514d420258b52868cb09.jpg

The protagonist of Damned is a man named Eddie who runs a Jazz club and is, well. . .damned. The issue opens with Eddie running wildly, blood flowing from his slashed throat.  Then we go back 24 hours to see what events set up the near-death.  

Whenever Eddie is about to die (which happens fairly often) if someone touches him or if he touches someone, their soul goes to Hell and he is saved.  Being damned, Eddie can see demons' true forms where normal mortals cannot.  As a result, he's set up his club to be demon free.  Which lasts all of three pages into issue #1 when a crew of demons come looking for a specific soul.  Eddie sends them packing and then tries to figure out which soul they wanted.  It doesn't take him long to learn that it's his own "friend," Pauly Bones.  This sets Eddie on a quest to figure out why the demons want Pauly which also gives a good look at the noirish 1920's-30's world of Damned. 

The-Damned-1-6-600x461.jpg.ce0298f75fb565f8a46af0113042c43f.jpg

Just as Eddie is about to take the soul of a homeless man, a group of non-demonic gangster-type men show up with a volunteer.  Eddie does the swap only to learn that everyone in town is highly interested in Pauly Bones.  The issue learns with the reveal that Pauly Bones "won" some sort of demon artifact and that's why the demons want him.

The-Damned-1-Page-2.thumb.jpg.2af95346d31a296ee2e08a41a0ff5793.jpg

The art is what I think of when I think Oni Press.  It's very dynamic and angular which works with the 1930's gangster noir storyline.  The lack of soft rounded lines creates a sense of motion.  The muted colors are also very nice, especially since the reds of the demons and blood really pop. Plus it lends an air of grittiness to the overall world.  Even inside the jazz club the colors muted and cooler which allows certain characters, such as the singer to stand apart from the rest of the rabble. 

Much like Godshaper, I'm excited to see where this one goes.  It's not an entirely new concept, but if done well, it could be a great transmedia property.  If Wicked + Divine and Sex Criminals are being developed for television shows (thanks to the success of Constantine, American Gods, and even the popularity of Lucifer), why not Damned?

Next post. . .Godshaper #2

A rough patch & a “golden moment”

OK… it’s been quite some time since writing, probably almost two months it seems. That was the LAST Burnham Bowl comic book show- first Sunday in April- before the most recent Burnham Bowl comic show.

In short, I…

• Threw out my back for a solid week+
  • Taught two 5-week online courses back-to-back (grading 10 Saturdays in a row)
  • Did so because I thought I would be leaving my job (very unhappy at work)
  • And then promptly stayed at the job while pursuing two certifications
  • While interviewing with the city for two positions.

Whew! So I’ve been a stressball; eventually I left my job at the nonprofit (5/9), took a new position (5/30), and have been working it since. It has affected all parts of my life- sleep, health, quality time with the lady, time with my sister & her kids, time with my parents, time with friends (time posting)… and so I have worked to reset something very important to my work-life- balance.

So it is nice to be back. I hope to write a little more. I can honestly say that I have leaned on comics during this period, whether it be lurking / reading on the message boards late at night when the world is not quite right or laughing with the latest Rock Candy Mountain comic or Jim Mahfood joint.

5935fa50df6fc_grrlscoutssocks1mahfood.png.a61ea74dbc5e4054fb574e958c7b9c0a.png

It has been a “golden moment” in collecting of sorts, as my collection has come back around full circle to c 1998-2002 with the release of Jim Mahfood’s Grrl Scouts during Spawn appreciation month. This brings full circle my love of Mahfood and Spawn, solidified by the mid-1990s.

5935fa7835940_grrlscoutssocks1spawn.jpg.240fe04f3a713b9e1c7b8d73ad82054f.jpg

I have collected Jim Mahfood solidly since the mid-1990s, becoming officially hooked with his art work on Kevin Smith’s Clerks the Comic Book (1998). Shown below is my first graded comic book I ever bought. It’s always been a softish NM+ 9.6 for me and so I prompted Mahfood draw on it at San Diego Comic Con c. 2005. Red label, pre-Signature Series goodness. This is how we hy-grade pleebians rolled in the mid-Oughts 

clerks%20cgc96%20signed_zpslqlgrekv.jpg

I have one example of most of Mahfood’s books, with a focus on the more indy, alternative stuff and less his more mainstream work (e.g. Spidey or the more recent variant covers). For as long as I have had an eBay app, I've been looking for the original two mini comics titled "Girl Scouts" and this book...

Cosmic1a_zps52rsuodc.jpg

So, yeah… Open thank you, Jim Mahfood. It has been a hard run these past few weeks, but seeing your preview for Grrl Scouts in the back of my new fave read (Rock Candy Mountain) and then getting to chase a Spawn month variant of your new book-  you have provided me a welcome distraction from the daily grind. And inspired me to create again.

Up next - An open letter to the creator of Rock Candy Mountain.

And then – The latest LCS straw that will break this camel’s back!?

PS. R. Crumb's cover for Fritz the Cat just set the new OA record ($717,000) for American comic artist.  ^^

PPS. Hy-grade underground comix are not dead!  Check out the strong results for Harvey Pekar's seminal American Splendor 3, 4, & 8. The R Crumb cover (#4) is my favorite and tough to find in grade. 

Capture.JPG.589721cff273e19dfd1acbd42cdb3079.JPG

An Open Letter to Kyle Starks, Creator "Rock Candy Mountain"

Kyle- 

Just wanted to send out a quick message to let the Rock Candy Mountain crew that I am really enjoying the comic. I was miserable in my job (since left), a country mouse in the largest city of my life & feeling that wanderlust rise when I picked up Rock Candy Mountain #1 last month. The art recalls Scott Morse and Schweizer's subdued color palette was perfect for the Depression Era tale. However, it was the academic essay at the back that (initially) had me coughing up my vittles monies for issue #1. That hint of haute.

I popped a coldie and read the book, while promptly falling down the rabbit hole of the tune. Earworm style; over and over. That perfect combination of substance, style and song not experienced since spliff-laden explorations of Jim Mahfood's socially conscious, hip hop infused underground comix (serendipitous too that his new book was previewed in your #1).  

And then I handed off the 'mic to my lady to see if I was going mad. Man oh man, did she respond as well. And since... well, your dialog is part of our permanent vernacular. "Hobos ain't got no bosses, stiff!" I yell from the shower when she tells me to git movin. "Damn, that was my vittles money," grumbled under her breath when I shake her down for her last. Or even her laughing out loud at "Save your yaps for your momma, I'll be doing the quippin here!" Issue #2 no doubt adds "frisco up," [cough up money or food for communal purposes] and "gump" [chicken] into the mix. 

Anyways, I love the book. 
Keep doing what you're doing and live by the code. 

Oh, and hobo fights. 

Best, Justin from Milwaukee

PS. I read "bo" as bwoy / boi from my time in Louisiana. Is that correct? 

(Emailed 5/10/17; He has since replied too. "Bo" as in the second syllable of hobo. BTW the chef loves the comic too, I gave mine to him during his recovery from a broken arm.)

Up Next- Why I effin hate my LCS chain.

ALSO- There are 2 new Walmart exclusive Usagi Yojimbo action figures?? :whatthe::ohnoez:

"Thank you variant" a Pantload, Collector's Edge Milwaukee

So it was in the lovely nexus of Mahfood / Spawn / Rock Candy Mountain that I decided to treat myself to a little something nice. I read online about the Spawn "Thank You" 1-per-store retailer incentive and decided to inquire about it at my LCS. Since they are a chain of 3 stores, with the flagship Collector’s Edge store located in the trendy Bay View neighborhood to the south (a 4th closed in 2016). My LCS is the smallest of the three stores and has no back issues, only a small selection of new comics and a rather extensive collection of graphic novels. So, I was operating under the assumption that my chain received more than one copy.

spawn_thank_you.jpg.59d5d88261ce984293b2e9d6f4ac060f.jpg

So I read about the book and thought… “What the heck? It’s Friday, I just got a new job, I subscribe to Spawn … maybe I can treat myself?” And so I showed a picture of the book to my LCS manager and stated my interest. Later that night he texted me that indeed they did receive a copy, that he mentioned my interest in the book FRI night at the all-staff meeting, and that it was discussed / agreed I could have a copy of the book for $75.

Not bad, I thought, as the book had been fetching a little more than that online. At least it seemed comparable to the prices that I was seeing. And so I gathered my mad money and went down to my LCS on SAT morning. I spoke briefly about the book with my LCS manager and he recommended that I email the main store to make it official and work the normal process (and so I did), and noted that it may take until MON to respond.

I sent the following message:

Hello Edge Team-

My name is Justin [] and I am a package customer at the East store. I wanted to express my interest in the Spawn retailer thank you book that recently was sent to stores last week.  I've had some communication with store manager [] and wanted to see if the book was available to review today at either the East or South stores.

Thanks for the consideration, Justin [cell]

Within 2.5 hours I received the following response:

“Collector's Edge Comics Package System <package@collectorsedgecomics.com>

These items are a flat cost at no discount.

We currently have one on ebay currently about to go above $80.

Did you want bid on that one and skip the shipping costs?

We have more than one, I would let you have one now for $125 flat as you are a package customer, or take chances on ebay. These are selling for $150-$500 (although $500 was extreme). You would have to purchase it within a week.

Please reply soon we have had many other inquiries.”

I replied simply (fuming the whole time): “I’ll pass.” What a d*ck move and completely in keeping with Collector's Edge modus operandi. I’m probably one of only a handful of people that actually pull Spawn from the store for the past 2+ years (my wee LCS gets two copies, that’s it) and you’re gonna play the GREED move and (nearly) double the asking price overnight? Passsssssss.  (tsk)

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! And… in the 10 days or so since the above message was sent, I have watched eBay auctions for this book and have yet to see one sale of the Spawn foil “thank you” incentive from anywhere within 105 miles of Milwaukee. So, double liars, Collector’s Edge Milwaukee.

PS. This all went down the SAT before SUN Burnham Bowl and so I had the chance to share my story with a few acquaintances in the area. Ha! They were not surprised and indeed shared other horror stories of Collector’s Edge’s business practices. It made for quite a funny icebreaker at times! That said, it was stated a few times that the foil “thank you” incentive was a 1-per-store and that there are in excess of 2300 stores nationwide, as well as 3700 total Diamond accounts. With overages, it is safe to assume that this book will not be too scarce at approximately 4000 copies. So, now I play the waiting game to watch prices and gauge my interest over time. 

cleardot.gif

I'm telling you, they pissed me off way too many times when I lived in Milwaukee. My last visit (when we came to town for a week) was one of the few times I was happy with my dealings with them, as they actually were willing to send someone down into the basement and dig for books for me. I still had to give them a list, but at least they didn't tell me "come back next week" like they have done in the past. Any chance Lost Worlds got one of those Spawn books? 

2017 Playmates TMNT Usagi Yojimbo 5" Basic Action Figure wot wot!!!

I was looking to treat myself following a rough run of work in closing out my former position and teaching two online courses. I was proud of the work I had done to close out my old job and win the new one… I wasn’t making more money yet, but I would be… and well, I wanted to treat myself. Hence my even remote interest in the Spawn “thank you” incentive variant (previous posting).

So sometime during the weekend of Burnham Bowl and right about the time I passed on the “$125 or take your chances on eBay / thanks a pantload” offer from the LCS, I learned about the new 2017 Playmates TMNT Usagi Yojimbo action figure. While at Burnham, I passed on two loose UY figures without accessories ($5 each), as well as a vintage TNMT action figure case ($25) and was mulling over my decisions on eBay with a little research when I saw it…

UY2017.thumb.jpg.b00bd809e3d1fac33a80e64a4f67384a.jpg

After some research, I learned that the 2017 Playmates toy line will be based on stories during season 5 of Nickelodeon’s renamed “Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” cartoon. According to TMNT Online (2017), the new “Tales of the TMNT” phrase being used by Nickelodeon is actually meant to denote a series of several episodes which have a common theme. These “tales” will be split into four different story arcs across the fifth season, starting with the conclusion of the Super Shredder plot. And Playmates Toys will be releasing a product line related to each individual story arc.

One of those stories will involve Usagi Yojimbo and he is a “Walmart Exclusive” in the basic figure assortment (above) and sporting full samurai armor for the warrior horse with figure assortment (sometimes called the Samurai assortment; below; photo courtesy PixelDan).

5943459ad4b3a_tmntwarriorhorseusagi.thumb.jpg.e92d41c693793afeaf9b038bfaebd105.jpg 

Finally, There is also a rumor of a Playmates TMNT SDCC exclusive Usagi Yojimbo figure. Stan Sakai posted on his Facebook page in May that he “spent a great part of the day at Playmates Toys to check out the Usagi Yojimbo action figures that will be part of the upcoming TMNT line. The SDCC exclusive was particularly impressive and comes with three interchangeable heads and a comic book. There will also be two Walmart exclusives.”

Not only is Usagi popping up in the Turtles toy line and TV show, but recall that this summer TMNT x Usagi crossover in IDW’s new one shot comic.

crossover.jpg.40fcc57cda6239bbaf1770afce496819.jpg

Summer 2017 is the best time to be collecting Usagi Yojimbo in over 26 years (!), and the most extensive crossover event (comics, TV & toys) since the early 1990s.

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

On 6/14/2017 at 2:12 PM, Brother J said:

I'm telling you, they pissed me off way too many times when I lived in Milwaukee. My last visit (when we came to town for a week) was one of the few times I was happy with my dealings with them, as they actually were willing to send someone down into the basement and dig for books for me. I still had to give them a list, but at least they didn't tell me "come back next week" like they have done in the past. Any chance Lost Worlds got one of those Spawn books? 

Why I hate my LCS...

• No discount
  • Questionable business ethics
  • Mythical underground comix in basement
  • No love... dammit

Why I love my LCS

• My LCS is 1/2 a block away
  • My LCS Manager... he
  • is into cool jam music
  • is kind
  • that's it

On 6/14/2017 at 6:34 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

"Thank you variant" a Pantload, Collector's Edge Milwaukee

So it was in the lovely nexus of Mahfood / Spawn / Rock Candy Mountain that I decided to treat myself to a little something nice. I read online about the Spawn "Thank You" 1-per-store retailer incentive and decided to inquire about it at my LCS. Since they are a chain of 3 stores, with the flagship Collector’s Edge store located in the trendy Bay View neighborhood to the south (a 4th closed in 2016). My LCS is the smallest of the three stores and has no back issues, only a small selection of new comics and a rather extensive collection of graphic novels. So, I was operating under the assumption that my chain received more than one copy.

spawn_thank_you.jpg.59d5d88261ce984293b2e9d6f4ac060f.jpg

So I read about the book and thought… “What the heck? It’s Friday, I just got a new job, I subscribe to Spawn … maybe I can treat myself?” And so I showed a picture of the book to my LCS manager and stated my interest. Later that night he texted me that indeed they did receive a copy, that he mentioned my interest in the book FRI night at the all-staff meeting, and that it was discussed / agreed I could have a copy of the book for $75.

Not bad, I thought, as the book had been fetching a little more than that online. At least it seemed comparable to the prices that I was seeing. And so I gathered my mad money and went down to my LCS on SAT morning. I spoke briefly about the book with my LCS manager and he recommended that I email the main store to make it official and work the normal process (and so I did), and noted that it may take until MON to respond.

I sent the following message:

Hello Edge Team-

My name is Justin [] and I am a package customer at the East store. I wanted to express my interest in the Spawn retailer thank you book that recently was sent to stores last week.  I've had some communication with store manager [] and wanted to see if the book was available to review today at either the East or South stores.

Thanks for the consideration, Justin [cell]

Within 2.5 hours I received the following response:

“Collector's Edge Comics Package System <package@collectorsedgecomics.com>

These items are a flat cost at no discount.

We currently have one on ebay currently about to go above $80.

Did you want bid on that one and skip the shipping costs?

We have more than one, I would let you have one now for $125 flat as you are a package customer, or take chances on ebay. These are selling for $150-$500 (although $500 was extreme). You would have to purchase it within a week.

Please reply soon we have had many other inquiries.”

I replied simply (fuming the whole time): “I’ll pass.” What a d*ck move and completely in keeping with Collector's Edge modus operandi. I’m probably one of only a handful of people that actually pull Spawn from the store for the past 2+ years (my wee LCS gets two copies, that’s it) and you’re gonna play the GREED move and (nearly) double the asking price overnight? Passsssssss.  (tsk)

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! And… in the 10 days or so since the above message was sent, I have watched eBay auctions for this book and have yet to see one sale of the Spawn foil “thank you” incentive from anywhere within 105 miles of Milwaukee. So, double liars, Collector’s Edge Milwaukee.

PS. This all went down the SAT before SUN Burnham Bowl and so I had the chance to share my story with a few acquaintances in the area. Ha! They were not surprised and indeed shared other horror stories of Collector’s Edge’s business practices. It made for quite a funny icebreaker at times! That said, it was stated a few times that the foil “thank you” incentive was a 1-per-store and that there are in excess of 2300 stores nationwide, as well as 3700 total Diamond accounts. With overages, it is safe to assume that this book will not be too scarce at approximately 4000 copies. So, now I play the waiting game to watch prices and gauge my interest over time. 

cleardot.gif

*sigh* That's freakin' awful man. Greed wins in the end. What happened to keeping one's word? Is it really better to lose a dedicated customer for a potential profit of 70 or 80 bucks?? I guess that's what you were worth to him?

Hopefully you can pick up at another shop with ease.

As far as the Thank You edition goes, as a dedicated Spawn collector, I'm holding my cards on this one for a while. I think it's being way overvalued at the moment. It's a cool book, but not something I'm dying to have. When it settles down to a few hundred bucks, I might give it a shot...and you're right. It's not "gotta have it" rare either.

but seeing as how I'm now contracting rather than expanding...might not ever happen. I'm variant-weary my friend.

Edited by newshane

The Lady Speaks. . .Godshaper #2

I know this is late in coming but I've been thinking about it quite a bit, trying to figure out what I want to say. 

STL043770.thumb.jpg.896a12a77a5a6fe84fbec4962fa30581.jpg

A lot happens in this issue.  We meet Ennay's sometime lover/fellow Godshaper/super dodgy friend named Clench. I liked the way the sexuality is handled in this issue.  It's not in-your-face nor is it so subtle as to be easily missed.  Bud doesn't like Clench, for good reason it turns out. 

Clench is traveling with a young girl who is also a Godshaper.  Her name is Sal.  The parallel between Godshapers and transients is nice and draws attention to the deeper current of the book about the conflicts between religion, society, race, gender, sexuality, and consumerism.  (OM's new favorite book Rock Candy Mountain deals with some of the same issues but with literal hobos and The Devil).

However, it's odd that there would be this many Godshapers in one area since the rule is one Godshaper per town.  We get a lot of Ennay's views on Godshapers and we learn a bit about Ennay's old crew, The Cumpa Crew.  The Cumpa Crew are a bunch of Chicago gangsters with their own gods.   At one point in the past, Ennay refused a job with the crew which is why he's been on the run ever since.  While Ennay is sleeping, Clench steals Ennay's bike and gear leaving the girl behind.

The writing is strong and the humor is good BUT I'm not thrilled at the "add a kid" trope being played so early in the run.  Remember Scrappy Doo?  Cousin Oliver (The Brady Bunch)?  Olivia (The Cosby Show)?  Bones' baby (Bones)?  Seven (Married, With Children)?   And even though he wasn't a child, but he was child-sized The Great Gazoo?  My point is this:  Godshaper is a funny, witty adult comic book and now that they've added a kid that tenor is going to change.  Either it's going to become more kiddified or it's going to get horrific. 

Now, I've only seen a few pages of the kid who has been kicked out of her house and abandoned because she isn't a believer (as in she doesn't have her own god).  We barely know anything about our main characters and now we're going to be adding a third element to the story, one that doesn't need to happen this early.

Also, I have a bad feeling that it's going to be inevitable that Bud is either going to go missing or Ennay is going to abandon him.

As always the art is amazing.  This is a beautiful comic and when the story fires on its cylinders and the two match up, it's a joy to read.

Edited by TheLadySpeaks

The Lady Speaks. . .Superhero Movies, a State of the Union (Really Just an Excuse to Write about Wonder Woman)

I've been in a weird space with superhero movies.  I just don't find myself being all that excited about many of the upcoming superhero entries.  On the other hand, I'm kind of ridiculously thrilled by Thor: Ragnarok and I haven't seen either of the preceding Thor movies.

giphy.gif.0839c68de14ae282bbd400703258fdba.gif

Ragnarok just looks like fun.  And using Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" doesn't hurt.

OM and I recently rewatched Suicide Squad.  I needed to know if it was as bad as I remembered or if maybe I was just being harsh.  No.  It's bad.  It's like there was a movie and then another movie squatted in it.  They would have done better to leave the Joker out entirely.  And I still don't like Margot Robbie's Harley.  To her credit, she wants to do a Bombshells movie because she doesn't think Suicide Squad Harley was a good representation of the character.  Enchantress is terrible, too.  Like too bad to even be a good B-movie villain. 

I really want to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, but Cara Delevingne is one of the stars. 

Valerian_3dH4h1H.thumb.jpg.4e5c453e49c04f38bd970e5f82ea218f.jpg

That makes me nervous.  Not to mention both stars look like they're 15, but I knew there was a day coming when that would happen.  Just the price of getting older.  However, if I have to sit through two hours of her alternating between wooden pretty face and scenery chewer, it might ruin what is sure to be a gorgeous film. 

valerian5.thumb.jpg.a950ff457b98cf0f528c1a6c1178fac4.jpg

Since Valerian is based on a graphic novel, I think it belongs in this discussion.  One of my goals before it drops on July 22 is to read the source material.  (Not in the original French because that would take me forever).

0.thumb.jpg.ea3979da597397e3a990958345306f54.jpg.

Of course this post is going to go all fangirl on Wonder Woman.  While it was not a perfect movie, it was heads and shoulders above the vast majority that have come out in the past two years.  I saw Logan when it came out and I was not impressed.  While it was a fitting end to Wolverine's story, the movie itself was so deeply flawed.  And kind of boring.  I've already written about Guardians Vol 2, another over hyped and overly praised movie that was chaotic and boring at the same time.   The humor was derivative and recycled, the soundtrack forced, and there was so much exposition between characters.  Plus, the women do nothing in the Guardian movies but beat each other up and pose for Starlord's male gaze.  Barf.

Wonder Woman was refreshing because Wonder Woman did what she did free of paternalism and without emasculating the men with whom she traveled.  It was funny at moments without being slapstick or pop culture heavy (a la Family Guy, the worst show ever).   It was feminist without being hateful.  The movie showed respect between a man and a woman and yes, they had sex, but it didn't drain her of powers or give him some freaky empowerment.  My hats off to Chris Pine for doing a wonderful job.  Very few actors would have been able to be in this movie and not make it all about them.  They managed the "fish out of water" trope without making it silly or twee. 

gallery-1497902411-giphy-1.gif.9680805035d80f5a577c826d1e73a376.gif

She was a freaking superhero!   She has Captain America's moral compass, the strength of Thor, the wit of Tony Stark, and she still manages to not be a caricature.  Quite frankly, Wonder Woman was so complete that I now have a hard time imagining Batfleck being able to stay a step ahead of her unless he gets horribly manipulative (which is Bats' MO, to be honest).

tumblr_oasa56sHae1qctw0mo2_500.gif.7a8fea4769e6795075f24fe8992db5bf.gif

From the opening scene where a young Diana mimics the moves of the training Amazon's, I knew it was going to be good.  I think every woman who grew up in the 70's and 80's played in Wonder Woman underoos with tinfoil bracelets, a cardboard crown, and some sort of rope.  And I imagine many of us upon seeing that opening had a teary-eyed moment.  It was like seeing the scrolling credits of The Force Awakens.  It was happy nostalgia. 

580935351b0000582cef86bc.thumb.jpeg.7cb585a8c9d69683f1d5253d2e61cfde.jpeg

This image is not from the movie.  It is from a HuffingtonPost article about a father who, in the tired language of the internet, "transforms his 3 year old daughter into Wonder Woman."  I think this image is great because this is how I felt watching that movie.  Yes, there have been many strong women on film and in television, but there is something visceral about this portrayal of one of the few women idols I had as a little girl.  (I don't count Barbie).  For the first time in a long time, I left a movie feeling optimistic and energized. 

Edited by TheLadySpeaks

The Lady Speaks. . .Annual Comic Con Angst

Om and I skipped Mighty Con last month.  It coincided with our favorite neighborhood music festival, Summer Soulstice.  We did hit up June's Burnham Bowl because it's really not that much of a commitment.  It's $2 to get in and few hours of time.

We're gearing up for Wizard World Chicago, our annual big con.  SDCC is financially, temporally, and ticket-wise out of reach until it splits into two cons or suddenly everyone loses interest in Hollywood.  Or superhero fatigue causes the transmedia properties to lose their luster. So not any time soon.  

I know many people have issues with Wizard World and I don't blame them.  People around here say C2E2 is the way to go, but the timing doesn't work for my teaching schedule. 

Wizard World has taken a few knocks this year.   Their earnings are down, they had to cancel their cruisethey cut six cons from their schedule, reduced their stake in ConTV,  and they're trying to drum up new fans by adding Gene Simmons to their larger cons.  Now in an odd twist, former Wizard CEO John Macaluso is starting a new series of cons called the Fandemic Tour

download-2.png.2e62bc36dc5b126c62320914d4637983.png

This is the logo in the Bleeding Cool article, so I guess this is it?  Apparently Macaluso is pleased that it's the first convention named after an "unstoppable infectious disease."  ¬¬

Right now details are fairly vague other than it's going to be pop culture centric and have a lot of your favorite celebrities present such as Norman Reedus (does he do anything else anymore?), Bruce Campebell, Jeffery Dean Morgan, and Michael Rooker.  Macaluso mentions some token creators as well.  It sounds a lot like Wizard World and will kick off mid September in Houston opposite Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in NY and the week before both Baltimore Comicon and Wizard World Madison.  The website announces itself as a "New Comic Convention Experience" but doesn't offer much else.  There are some vague platitudes from Reedus and Morgan.  Prices range from $35 for Friday to $75 for a weekend pass, making it much cheaper than WW Chicago (for an example).  There's no schedule at the moment nor are any vendors listed.  They have a lot of ground to cover in two months.

As I've posted in the past, I still find myself surprised that Madison is holding a Wizard World, especially since it's now in September as opposed to its original April date.  By holding it in September they're pretty much guaranteeing a majority of con goers in the Illinois and Wisconsin area won't go to Madison because Chicago will have been not even a month prior.  As much as I enjoyed WW Madison, let me go on record to say--it doesn't hold a candle to Chicago in terms of the variety of vendors and entertainment.  If I have to choose between the two, I'm choosing Chicago.  No, really.  I already bought my Chicago tickets.

So the already crowded con landscape appears to be getting another contender, one who is trying to promise something different but whose setup looks awfully familiar.  Will Fandemic last?

Spoiler

Edited by TheLadySpeaks

The Summer of Usagi Yojimbo Action Figures

IMG_20170708_184304927_HDR-2_zpsik6gmukc

Recently, I have been hunting locally and on the internet for the new Playmates Usagi Yojimbo action figures. In addition to the new 5-inch UY action figure, there are also two variations of Usagi in samurai armor, one packaged with a warrior horse. I average about 4 Walmarts and 1 Target per week and have been completely skunked in searching Greater Milwaukee. And so I have turned to the internet and starting playing the waiting game, attempting to catch a deal. I like to collect one figure MOC and have one loose / complete that I can display and play with. All this activity means that we are talking about and evaluating the different figures, prices, etc. I thought we'd share our ratings of the various Usagi Yojimbo action figures in the collection. 

Usagi Yojimbo (1989 Playmates—Series 2—19 Back; center in pic above)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint (10 colors)

Articulation (7 points)

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

Accessories can be bought for $2-3 each. 

General Notes:  The classic, but doesn’t exactly look like UY.  Overall solid and playable.  Painting is sloppy, as with the differentiation between ears and band, feet and shoes sloppy.  No paint on accessories.  Disco hips.  Tons of accessories:  rack, curved spear, hand dagger. tanto, and Daisho (Katana, Wakizashi) but to play with them you have to break them up as they came attached to the rack by plastic tags.  Nowhere to carry weapons on figure (no sheaths/scabbards).  The sculpt is too buff (Jen says “Usagi is bringing guns to a sword fight") and screams 1990’s extreme mentality.  Can only stand in a wide stance.  Good sculpt on Samurai armor with lots of texture.  Head isn’t as round as other UJ figures.

space%20uy_zps1o8rcynn.png

Space Usagi Yojimbo (1991 Playmates—Series ?—69 Back)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint (8 colors)

Articulation (7 points)

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

My figure is two married to make 1 for approximately $18.  One was purchased approx. 4 years ago at an antique mall, the second from a toy dealer at Wizard World Chicago.

General Notes:  This figure has 8 colors and 7 points of articulation.  Lack of detail in color of guns.  “Helmet” is a bubble on the head with the ears sticking out.  Justin is admittedly biased in favor of this figure.  Figure really has nothing to do with the comic.  We’re counting the cape as an accessory and it adds a nice texture to the figure.

space%20up2_zpss4y46kba.jpg

Space Usagi may not look like Usagi at all, but what a great figure. Often you'll find Space UY in such disarray I like to imagine he served as villain more than hero. 

Usagi Yojimbo (1998 Antarctic Press—6 Back)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint (6 colors + 2 Spot)

Articulation (5 points, plus 4 for Spot)

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

On the secondary market (the only place it’s available) this figure runs $30-65 and is the most available.  There are two limited variants of this figure, a Platinum version and a Glow-in-the-Dark version.  At least 2000 figures (estimated) produced, platinum has 2000, Dark Horse 500.  Original price is assumed at $12-15.

General Notes:  +4 accessories.  Overall a solid design.  Legs aren’t that great.  It looks like he’s wearing compression socks.  The painting, what there is of it, is well done.  Possibly portions hand painted.  We’re divided on whether the whiskers are a plus or minus.  His ears are simple.  The addition of Spot is awesome as an accessory as is the Daisho, although the Daisho is too small for the scale of the figure.  The spear isn’t that great because Usagi doesn’t use a spear.  Articulation doesn’t allow for a real fighting pose.

IMG_20170622_175933954-2_zpstg8brszg.jpg

This Usagi is visually lovely, but limited in articulation. Still, it is nice to have a Spot (tokage lizard) to display in the collection. And the '98 Antarctic Press figure has THE most comic-realistic matched set of swords (daisho) in the history of the character. 

Usagi Yojimbo (1998 Antarctic Press—6 back; Platinum Variant)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint

Articulation

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

The paint is weak on this figure.  They literally just painted the entire body platinum colored, but in doing so, they colored his chest platinum which should have been left white. It should be noted there are also a Glow in the Dark variant ($70-100) and a Dark Horse variant ($70-100) of this figure. The platinum is the easiest to find of the variants ($30-70). 

5” Usagi Yojimbo (2017 Playmates)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint

Articulation (13 points)

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

Purchased on Ebay for $30.  Average Ebay price $21-42.

General Notes:  This figure has 13 points of articulation, including his feet.  Accessories are plain and the two swords perhaps too large in scale for the figure.  The swords are thin.  Scabbards are a nice touch and don’t impede movement.  This figure has the least amount of accessories for an Usagi figure to date.  Simple paint job. Still, this figure is dynamite, posable, and a tribute to the character. 

Screenshot_20170617-215625-2_zpsdwuutqig

Samurai Usagi Yojimbo (2017 Playmates)

Category

Justin

Jennifer

Sculpt

Paint (12 colors)

Articulation (11 points)

Accessories

Total Score (out of 40)

Purchased on Ebay in July 2017.  Two figures for $60 (including shipping)

General Notes:  Jen bumped this figure in Accessories due to the cool helmet (even though you have to really fiddle with the helmet to get it match up to his eyes).  The sculpt has some issues.  One, he’s hamfisted.  His hands are so much bigger than the need to be.  It appears that they attempted to make them “wrapped” but the wrapping is the same color as his fur so it just looks like he has giant hands.  It also looks like, if you discount the wrapping theory, that the hands had to be made bigger to account for the armor on his arms.  The knees are articulated weird.  There is interference between his armor and his movements.  There is a gap at the shoulders in his armor to attempt to account for this.  Also, the joints are super loose.  His crest is on the back and not painted different from the armor.  He looks pretty angry.  Great guyliner and his scars are different colors.  No colors on accessories.  No context for the animal helmet (crocodile? Alligator?)  Ears look like they’re newly hatched and not full of blood or ready to fly (they resemble insect wings).  Color palate is subdued.  Samurai armor does not match comics, maybe matches the tv show? ALSO, it is worth noting that the UY figure that comes with the Warrior Horse set has different colored armor too (oh boy oh boy). 

Screenshot_20170703-180853_zpsic0lvqy1.p

The Summer of the Rabbit continues... the 'warrior horse' figures are populating on eBay as I write and selling at $35-55. In addition, the SDCC exclusive figure with 3 heads and a comic book is pre-selling at $120-160. In the few weeks surrounding SDCC, UY figure collecting will hit critical mass culminating with his appearance on the show in late July. It is a glorious time to be collecting Usagi Yojimbo, and collectors like myself are using this time to reaffirm our love of the old UY toys.  

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

1 1