• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED/SOLD DETECTIVE COMICS #40 - 1ST *JOKER* COVER (1940)

8 posts in this topic

Howdy Folks!,

Picked this one up just a couple months ago at auction here on the boards. For those who missed it that time around, it's an affordable problem copy... then again, that's about the best your lower budget collector can expect when it comes to a book of this caliber.

With respect to the former owner, I'm going to borrow the excellent description from the original auction listing:

...complete, but it's been hit bad by the vermin

What looks like a spine split from upper end of spine to Robin's cape is actually a very neat silverfish chew.

About 1/8 inch wide and very neat. Another messier silverfish chew lower spine.

As you can see plainly in the FC scan, the mouses have been at the upper corner. Chew barely brushes the art on the first four leaves,

It walks back, smaller and smaller, to the second page of the centerfold, where it is apx 1/4 inch wide at the worst.

After that the interior is untouched. Cover is loose from book. ...

UPDATE: Just an update to clarify something on this book: for all intents and purposes, thanks to the silverfish chew, the spine is badly split. It's really only attached for a little over 3 inches below Robin. I was just going over the original listing and wanted to make sure that was clear to those who weren't able to see it in the pic.

So there you have it. A raw, low grade filler copy of a tough book.

Asking exactly what I paid: $850

Insured priority mail shipping in the USA is: $15

I will consider shipping to Canada/UK for board members I've worked with previously, or those with respectable post counts and reputations. Shipping at cost.

No probies or HOSers. First unconditional :takeit: in this thread wins. Payment by Paypal only. PM with any questions.

t_QM6_Hr_E.jpg

Just an update to clarify something on this book: for all intents and purposes, thanks to the silverfish chew, the spine is badly split. It's really only attached for a little over 3 inches. I was just going over the original listing and wanted to make sure that was clear to those who weren't able to see it in the pic.