• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your Favorite top 10 GA Covers (That you Own)?
2 2

331 posts in this topic

**My favorite GA cover of all-time!!!**

CGC%20Terrific%205_zpsdb6rekqa.jpg

Top 10 for me too

image_zps3jkfkjpw.jpg

Rick, I love that cover so much I commissioned underground comix legend Larry Welz to illustrate an homage with Cherry Pop-tart:

CGC%20SS%20Welz%20Age%20of%20Apocalypse_zpsvh5soexx.jpg

that is great!

These Irv Novick covers are really starting to grow on me.

archiebook012-1_zpsb540808f.jpg

Pep Comics 16, headlights, oozing blood, hyper dermic needle, nuff said !

Pep%20Comics%2016_zpsg9nspouv.jpg

Zip Comics 32 Nazi zombie skeletons

ZipComics32_zps239bcf2b.jpg

ive always thought of 16 and 34 as the 'Twins' much like Human Torch 12 and 13. Don't have a 34 .......yet. Great choice! (thumbs u

Only the Pep 16 is Novick. Pep 34 is by Bob Fujitani despite what the label says. Zip 32 is by Bob Montana.

Only the Pep 16 is Novick. Pep 34 is by Bob Fujitani despite what the label says. Zip 32 is by Bob Montana.

I guess I didn't look at the label closely enough on the Zip! I like all three, regardless.

I'm definitely not one of the board heavy hitters. But that doesn't keep me from having top 10 GA comics I own. Due to my collecting tendencies they are all Schomburg, all war covers, and all mid-grade.

0504132007561.jpg

1006152307521.jpg

2812131919081.jpg

2811131536141.jpg

0806152051441.jpg

0307142304511.jpg

0307142207311.jpg

3001140024571.jpg

0307142217411.jpg

0806152032361.jpg

Edited by thunsicker

No apologies necessary here when you are showing great Schomburg War covers!

(Or ANYTHING you love for that matter)

I think too many people don't show their stuff here because they feel intimidated by all the high grade, big dollar stuff shown. It's too bad really, because we all miss out on seeing some cool stuff. Any time you guys get tired of my beaters just let me know...

I think too many people don't show their stuff here because they feel intimidated by all the high grade, big dollar stuff shown. It's too bad really, because we all miss out on seeing some cool stuff. Any time you guys get tired of my beaters just let me know...

Never gonna happen

Never gonna happen

+1

Never gonna happen

+1

(thumbs u

mm

I'm definitely not one of the board heavy hitters. But that doesn't keep me from having top 10 GA comics I own. Due to my collecting tendencies they are all Schomburg, all war covers, and all mid-grade.

0504132007561.jpg

1006152307521.jpg

2812131919081.jpg

2811131536141.jpg

0806152051441.jpg

0307142304511.jpg

0307142207311.jpg

0309130000251.jpg

3001140024571.jpg

0307142217411.jpg

Love these covers! :applause:

I don't want to sound like an annoying ant at this picnic, but I'll wager that your HT #20 has been misattributed to Alex Schomburg during the grading process. Several artists tried to emulate Alex's style on the Human Torch, but there are characteristics to his designs that are unique.

I always look at three or four consistencies in his war work. One is the molten walls and explosions through which HT & Toro originate on the cover. Another is the anatomical line work on the Torch & Toro. The third thing I look for is the manner in which the villains (Japanese & German soldiers) are caricaturized. Finally, the composition which focuses attention on the primary characters (Alex's sense of design and balance is impeccable).

Most of Timely's cover artists could imitate some of Schomburg's style relatively well, but when under close examination there is invariably some aspect of other artist's contributions that clearly makes Alex's involvement suspect. In the case of HT #20 the Sub-Mariner inser looks to be pure Schomburg, but the line anatomical line work on the Torch, contact punches and in particular the depiction of the Japanese soldiers seems clearly the work of another artist, perhaps Vince Alascia or Sol Brodsky.

Of course, when there's any doubt the graders probably attribute the work to Alex Schomburg as his cover work is most closely associated with the Human Torch.

:sorry:

I'd rather you get tired of some beaters & send them my way :idea:

0504132007561.jpg

1006152307521.jpg

2812131919081.jpg

2811131536141.jpg

0806152051441.jpg

0307142304511.jpg

0307142207311.jpg

0309130000251.jpg

3001140024571.jpg

0307142217411.jpg

I don't want to sound like an annoying ant at this picnic, but I'll wager that your HT #20 has been misattributed to Alex Schomburg during the grading process. Several artists tried to emulate Alex's style on the Human Torch, but there are characteristics to his designs that are unique.

I always look at three or four consistencies in his war work. One is the molten walls and explosions through which HT & Toro originate on the cover. Another is the anatomical line work on the Torch & Toro. The third thing I look for is the manner in which the villains (Japanese & German soldiers) are caricaturized. Finally, the composition which focuses attention on the primary characters (Alex's sense of design and balance is impeccable).

Most of Timely's cover artists could imitate some of Schomburg's style relatively well, but when under close examination there is invariably some aspect of other artist's contributions that clearly makes Alex's involvement suspect. In the case of HT #20 the Sub-Mariner inser looks to be pure Schomburg, but the line anatomical line work on the Torch, contact punches and in particular the depiction of the Japanese soldiers seems clearly the work of another artist, perhaps Vince Alascia or Sol Brodsky.

Of course, when there's any doubt the graders probably attribute the work to Alex Schomburg as his cover work is most closely associated with the Human Torch.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll switch that one out then.

;)

AtlasTales attributes HT 20 to Schomburg but I agree with you and think it more likely it's another Timely staff member as the Japanese soldiers in the background are very atypical. My first thought was Syd Shores.

:gossip: Very nice selection of Schomburgs, Thunsicker!