• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - Where Are All The High Grade Copies ?

219 posts in this topic

My Supes #1 has a clipped coupon and is now sitting in a 1.0 unrestored label. So it's possible that books with a clipped coupon can be graded as high as a 1.0, that is if the rest of the book looks higher grade.

Congrat's on owning a copy, DK - if handy, could we see a scan of the book again please.

How do you think a book without a back cover, otherwise say a 5.0, would grade? I'm thinking 0.5 "incomplete"?

It is also true that all comics with a penciled "L" are not Detroit Trolley copies although that is a little harder to tell sometimes.

This is true.

My point was, for some reason, Theo didn't get that or care.

Not surprising considering past unfathomable behavior.

Wow, the GA boards are getting a little rough these days...

You're not alone in observing this, Bob - it's amazing how deleterious that just a single disruptive entity or two can be to a discussion Board.

Hey, I get ya, no hard feelings. I probably should have know when I saw a thread that said Superman #1 and "high grade" in the title that I was out of my league.

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

As has been pointed out. The clipped copy Fishler has is from the AC collection and was not circulated by you back in 74/75.

The other 8.0 copy is the copy Steve Lauterbach (perhaps this is who you meant) sold several years ago when it was a CGC 7.5 copy and has since been re-submited. Thankfully, Rob has archived an image of it on his blog (http://itsalljustcomics.com) which I reproduce below.

superman1cgc75-662x1024.jpg

Just thinking... why isn't this 7.5 copy showing in the census ?

Census shows Very Fine - 7.5 0

My Supes #1 has a clipped coupon and is now sitting in a 1.0 unrestored label. So it's possible that books with a clipped coupon can be graded as high as a 1.0, that is if the rest of the book looks higher grade.

Congrat's on owning a copy, DK - if handy, could we see a scan of the book again please.

How do you think a book without a back cover, otherwise say a 5.0, would grade? I'm thinking 0.5 "incomplete"?

DK's Supe 1 looks 4.0ish otherwise if I recall correctly. Steve, to answer your question, I'd agree at .5 incomplete with CGC. But, back in the day we'd call that a FAIR as long as the FC was present. Even a missing ad page (non story page) would get a 1.0 fair as a raw (That's the way Peets graded them in the 90s and we know he was really really strict, and I was ok with it). A missing story page or FC automatically got a poor.

Robot Man.

I am glad you shared your stuff with use. I love the fact that you love everything/anything to do with comics. Thank you.

Now unless someone wants to pm me and sell me a copy of Superman 1?.{ Mitch) mr secret.

This is as close as i got.

<a  href=Superman2CGC60Dcopy_zpsb648bd48.jpg' alt

Robot Man.

I am glad you shared your stuff with use. I love the fact that you love everything/anything to do with comics. Thank you.

Now unless someone wants to pm me and sell me a copy of Superman 1?.{ Mitch) mr secret.

This is as close as i got.

<a  href=Superman2CGC60Dcopy_zpsb648bd48.jpg' alt

Another under appreciated book

Not # 1 but pretty cool

Always wanted Supes # 2 and Action # 7

its a small world after all, I bought the clipped coupon copy from the original owner back in 74/75 at the time for 1k,,,sold it hal verb for 2K with 6 months as I got a better copy with a coupon...I assume this is the one steve owns...who hal sold it to...?

Steves 8.0 was a comics and comics copy which theo sold to geppi to who sold the 8.0 to steve I assume...small world

As has been pointed out. The clipped copy Fishler has is from the AC collection and was not circulated by you back in 74/75.

The other 8.0 copy is the copy Steve Lauterbach (perhaps this is who you meant) sold several years ago when it was a CGC 7.5 copy and has since been re-submited. Thankfully, Rob has archived an image of it on his blog (http://itsalljustcomics.com) which I reproduce below.

I'd guess it's because it was a transparent resub- with the label.

I probably should have know when I saw a thread that said Superman #1 and "high grade" in the title that I was out of my league.

Bob, you are in a league of your own!

So, ur saying they removed the 7.5 from the census and its reflected elsewhere in the census now ?

So, ur saying they removed the 7.5 from the census and its reflected elsewhere in the census now ?

Yes, it's now one of the two 8.0 copies.

Yes, it's now one of the two 8.0 copies.

Interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

And I will forever regret not buying that book the two times I called that shop and tried to negotiate with the owner. Each year the price went up a little more and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Forever kudos to you though, that was such a wise purchase.

Thanks David. Couldn't blame the owner because the book keeps going up in value. Just had to bite a bullet because I knew this book will get more and more expensive the longer I wait :pullhair:

Here you go Steve. Had to drive from SDCC to LA and then LA back to SD on the same day lol. My most memorable purchase ever.

001-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

image.jpg

That presents very well - well worth the drive! :)

According to the GCD, and the "other" grading company, the cover is by Leo O'Mealia (redrawn from a Shuster panel), and is not by Shuster.

Here you go Steve. Had to drive from SDCC to LA and then LA back to SD on the same day lol. My most memorable purchase ever.

001-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

image.jpg

Wonderful copy! I would drive to LA for it (and I live in PA :D )