• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - Where Are All The High Grade Copies ?

219 posts in this topic

My Supes #1 has a clipped coupon and is now sitting in a 1.0 unrestored label. So it's possible that books with a clipped coupon can be graded as high as a 1.0, that is if the rest of the book looks higher grade.

Congrat's on owning a copy, DK - if handy, could we see a scan of the book again please.

How do you think a book without a back cover, otherwise say a 5.0, would grade? I'm thinking 0.5 "incomplete"?

Here you go Steve. Had to drive from SDCC to LA and then LA back to SD on the same day lol. My most memorable purchase ever.

001-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

image.jpg

Wonderful copy! I would drive to LA for it (and I live in PA :D )

lol I'd just tell the previous owner to overnight it to me instead. Would be too lazy to drive or even hop on a plane to pick it up :P

Great looking copy. I'm glad you took it out of its tomb.

Actually the raw picture I took was before I had it slabbed, so it is still encased in its tomb muahahaha :devil: Heck I paid all that money to slab it because was curious to see what CGC would grade the book. Might as well leave it alone and my OCD is telling me to slab all major key books.

Actually the raw picture I took was before I had it slabbed, so it is still encased in its tomb muahahaha :devil: Heck I paid all that money to slab it because was curious to see what CGC would grade the book. Might as well leave it alone and my OCD is telling me to slab all major key books.

I told you it would be a 1.0, you could have just paid me :idea:

I know!? I did all that for nothing doh!

Hey Guys;

Any idea what CGC would grade this book if you had ask for it to be encased with a Green Qualified label instead of the blue label? ???

no, you like getting books slabbed and mailed to you with a surprise grade :cool:

no, you like getting books slabbed and mailed to you with a surprise grade :cool:

This also lol I never contacted CGC about whether I wanted a blue or green label. I guess they make the decisions on that for what's best for the book and its value? Or maybe because the book is already lower grade that the blue label would be more appropriate? I think books in higher grade would get the green label if a coupon was cut

How long have 2 un-restored copies graded 9.0 of Action Comics # 1 appeared on the CGC census ?

I don't know why that I just now noticed that 2 copies appear.

I had always thought that Metropolis Comics owned the sole highest grade copy which just recently sold at $3.1 million+

Any info on the other copy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

___

Title

Action Comics

Issue No. 1

Issue Date 6/38

Year 1938

Publisher D.C. Comics

Country

Country/Variant

-

Grade Universal

Mint 10.0 0

Mint 9.9 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0

Near Mint + 9.6 0

Near Mint 9.4 0

Near Mint - 9.2 0

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 2

Very Fine + 8.5 1

Very Fine 8.0 1

Very Fine - 7.5 1

Fine/Very Fine 7.0 0

Fine + 6.5 2

Fine 6.0 1

Fine - 5.5 1

Very Good/Fine 5.0 3

Very Good + 4.5 3

Very Good 4.0 4

Very Good - 3.5 2

Good/Very Good 3.0 7

Good + 2.5 3

Good 2.0 0

Good - 1.8 2

Fair/Good 1.5 1

Fair 1.0 1

Poor 0.5 1

Total 36

1997? The book was purchased at Sotheby's in 1992 for $82,500.

We don't have full details on what Darren Adams paid. It sold to him in 2011 as an 8.0.

If you're interested in this stuff I've spent about 10 years putting together information on high end sales:

A running (and always expanding) list of comics that would sell for more than $100,000

http://itsalljustcomics.com/100000-club/

A list of every comic sale over $100,000 (that I've captured- I always am looking to fill holes)

http://itsalljustcomics.com/all-time-record-comic-book-sales/

This article is slightly out of date as it doesn't include any speculation on the Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2 copy. Still it gives more detail on the top end books (including the two 9.0s)

http://itsalljustcomics.com/the-most-valuable-comic-books-in-the-world/