• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa Bay Comic Con report with some pics

40 posts in this topic

OK, haven't done one of these in a while, but thought I would give everyone a little look at one of the newer big conventions around.

Let me start off by saying that Tampa was a very nice city or at least the downtown area was. Not at all what I was expecting. I had heard a lot about being full of strip clubs, etc, but it was very nice around the convention center area.

View from the Marriott Waterside. Unfortunately, this is as good as the weather got all weekend.

848446868_o.jpg

848446841_o.jpg

848446209_o.jpg

Set up day was relatively easy for me, but I think I was extremely lucky as it started raining cats and dogs about 30 minutes after I finished up. Guys were wading to get their books in. After and during the rain, it was miserably humid inside. But that problem was only on Thursday and not much could have been done about it.

Anyway, Stephen and Bill had everything organized very well. I was amazed how smoothly everything ran considering the show is only a couple of years old and still growing.

The facility itself is very nice, and handled the very large crowd pretty well. I am guessing the convention probably had 30,000 in attendance, based on what I see in comparison to other conventions. Pretty large dealer floor, with lots of guests and lots of celebrities. The signing areas were very convenient to the floor, but separated enough that it didn't really affect traffic flow.

848446191_o.jpg

All in all, I would say this was a very good convention experience, which was amazing considering the weather conditions. It was near hurricane level on Saturday right during peak hours. Whats amazing is that the crowd was staggering on Saturday and nearly as many people on Sunday, which ended up being my best day of the show. The show hours on Saturday were from 8 in the morning until 6PM :makepoint: Tupenny.

I was exhausted by Saturday night and with the weather decided to just eat in the hotel restaurant, and I ran into Steve B and Pam. We had a very nice dinner and it was nice to chat without a million people around.

Sunday was non stop, between selling books and slowly consolidating everything and getting ready to pack everything up.

Again let me say, Bill and Stephen have a very nice convention here. Very well organized and very professional. Lots of comics, lots of guests and lots of people. And as far as dealer friendly, it was relatively easy with not a lot of hassle like some conventions.

I am not exactly sure what her position is, but Lexie was a huge help to me personally and Coach was always around to check on stuff. Rocker, you need to give that girl a raise. You would actually have to work at the convention if you didn't have her.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to chat and pick up books, and also to Bill, Steve and their crew.