• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa Bay Comic Con report with some pics

40 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that Tampa was a very nice city or at least the downtown area was. Not at all what I was expecting. I had heard a lot about being full of strip clubs, etc,

Wait, there's something wrong with strip clubs?

:baiting:

Seriously, Tampa is a gorgeous city. Even the airport is gorgeous. Thanks for the report!

For those that don't know, Doc couldn't make it to the show, so I had to call up a substitute from the minors. The song "I've Got Friends in Low Places" comes to mind. Thanks to Steve and Tupenny for helping me out a bit.

848445571_o.jpg

So this is what the wolf looked like talking to little red riding hood :baiting:

For those that don't know, Doc couldn't make it to the show, so I had to call up a substitute from the minors. The song "I've Got Friends in Low Places" comes to mind. Thanks to Steve and Tupenny for helping me out a bit.

848445571_o.jpg

maybe I need to get Watson a suit... hm

Sounds like they had a ton of foot traffic and you did well on Sunday but would you call it a good sellers Con?

Friday was good for sales and Sunday was good. Saturday ended up okay, but it certainly wasn't directly due to the foot traffic.

I can't really say if it would be a good seller's convention. I suspect it would be at least solid for most people, but it really depends on what you have and how you have it priced. I don't want to tell people it will be a great show for them. It was good for me, and most of the people I talked with were satisfied with the convention(in fact I don't think I talked to anyone who did badly). But I have no idea what there standard is, and I didn't go around taking a survey. I talked with a few of the guys I know pretty well, and that's about it.

I could only imagine that it was a great show if you had cheap stuff, just based on foot traffic. I didn't sell much out of my silver boxes which is very unusual, but sold quite a bit of wall books and even a solid amount of golden age. And sold a couple of thousands of dollars worth of modern/copper stuff, and all I had was 4 boxes and a small wall section.

Bill and Stephen have done their jobs getting the people in the door. They had both grading companies present and a solid guest line up. In my opinion, at that point, it is up to the seller as to whether he makes money or not.

Dale definitely had the best inventory at the show...

This coming from the guy with the Superman #1, Batman #1, and a dozen Hulk #181s.

the batman 1 and superman 1 were just there for show and TV...

I actually went on Friday. This was only the second time I've been to any con, and both were the Tampa Comic Con. I do most of my buying online, so it was nice to be able to just sift through some books in person. I pretty much blew my wad on two books, both from local sellers whose stores I've never been to (Coliseum of Comics and Emerald City). I was specifically looking for a Showcase 22, but the only copies I saw were Gator's (a 3.5 and 4.0).

The weather was (and has been) indeed crazy. I ended up walking 3 or 4 blocks with over 2k in comics in my backpack with the rain coming down pretty hard. Luckily, nothing important got damaged.

Ironically, it felt like most my time was spent looking for a shirt for my wife.

With 50K attendees over 3-days of family friendly fun, Tampa Bay Comic Con 2015 was the largest event in the history of downtown Tampa, despite being staged in the bull's eye of a major tropical storm.

Tampa Bay Comic Con 2016 will be bigger & better:

TBCC16-FB-announcement3_zps1f0uz3sc.jpg