• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heads up on stolen books

280 posts in this topic

I wonder if he's gonna do the old I got the books from some dude defense. Some dude I have no email or text messages from that just so happened to steal them from the same site I was working at at the same time and I bought them never having bought a comic book in my life because-

Yeah, no.

Hope there's no deals as the DA sees this as the biggest burglary ever to cross his dept and wants the feather in his cap of sinking the guy in court.

100K+ in books and couldn't get yourself a quality safe? (shrug)

Glad you got them back.

That would have to be a very large safe.

Considering it was only about 20% of my total collection excluding a small mountain of raws, a lot of bank vaults would be insufficient.

I wonder if he's gonna do the old I got the books from some dude defense. Some dude I have no email or text messages from that just so happened to steal them from the same site I was working at at the same time and I bought them never having bought a comic book in my life because-

Yeah, no.

Hope there's no deals as the DA sees this as the biggest burglary ever to cross his dept and wants the feather in his cap of sinking the guy in court.

Believe it or not, I explained to the Sargent how perps seldom get much punishment for stealing comics. I got the impression this was not going to be the case this time. And since I found the books, he's got very little he can do to return any property in hopes if a lighter sentence.

100K+ in books and couldn't get yourself a quality safe? (shrug)

Glad you got them back.

That would have to be a very large safe.

Considering it was only about 20% of my total collection excluding a small mountain of raws, a lot of bank vaults would be insufficient.

You don't have one of these? :facepalm:

2253_700x.jpg

Congrats on getting most of your books back.

Chainsaw :wishluck:

So glad you got them back! I can't believe the buyer didn't get something for buying stolen property. I guess they just couldn't prove it but man that guy is shady. Wish you could post his name.

From my point of view, it doesn't appear to be totally his fault. At least he did try to contact Heritage to no avail to find out who the owner of the Church Wings #1 was. It would be a bit presumptuous on our part to expect the buyer to be aware of this thread here.

Heritage on the other hand, should have at least taken the initiative to investigate the situation a little further when they got this call from the buyer. I would expect them to be much more aware of the stolen books through their network as opposed to the buyer. They should have been able to put 2 and 2 together more easily than the buyer.

perhaps those who have books stolen should include Heritage and other auction houses in their list of people to get the word out on the stolen books.

Clearly leaving that type of action in the hands of the police is not going to yield results. As someone stated earlier-- you really have to investigate as much as you can on your own -- champion your own retrieval effort for best results. It can only improve your odds of recovery.

Certainly glad the comics were recovered.

On another note, I know porcupine48 suggested a custom title for cheetah several pages back in the thread, but this one might work as well for cheetah's custom title:

Three trips and he stole my hand truck.

Great to read how quickly you recovered the books. :)

Reading about Methamphetamine's effects just sends shivers through my spine… :eek:

I wasn’t much aware of this kind of addiction. How sad…

the highest prevalence of illegal methamphetamine use occurs in parts of Asia, Oceania, and in the United States, where both racemic methamphetamine and dextromethamphetamine are classified as schedule II controlled substances. In contrast, enantiopure levomethamphetamine is an over-the-counter drug which is marketed as a nasal decongestant in the United States. Internationally, the production, distribution, sale, and possession of methamphetamine is restricted or illegal in many other countries due to its placement in schedule II of the United Nations Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty.

Certainly glad the comics were recovered.

On another note, I know porcupine48 suggested a custom title for cheetah several pages back in the thread, but this one might work as well for cheetah's custom title:

Three trips and he stole my hand truck.
lol:applause:

Great to read how quickly you recovered the books. :)

Reading about Methamphetamine's effects just sends shivers through my spine… :eek:

I wasn’t much aware of this kind of addiction. How sad…

the highest prevalence of illegal methamphetamine use occurs in parts of Asia, Oceania, and in the United States, where both racemic methamphetamine and dextromethamphetamine are classified as schedule II controlled substances. In contrast, enantiopure levomethamphetamine is an over-the-counter drug which is marketed as a nasal decongestant in the United States. Internationally, the production, distribution, sale, and possession of methamphetamine is restricted or illegal in many other countries due to its placement in schedule II of the United Nations Convention on Psychotropic Substances treaty.

I hear the blue stuff is killer.

Just a brief update. The charges were sent to the Grand Jury on September 1. They took 10 days to review and he was charged with two Class C Felonies and one Class D Felony and arrested that same day. I understand he is still in prison and will be arraigned later this month. The detective did not think it would ever even go to trial and was just a matter of the Commonwealth Attorney and the perp's lawyer negotiating a prison term. FWIW, Class C Felonies in Kentucky are 5 to 10 years in prison. Class D Felonies are 1-5 years in prison. One of his Felonies was for being a habitual felon so it is unlikely he will be walking the streets for the next few years.

Happy days. :whee:

I'm out about 40 modern slabs at this point but have found the sales on ebay for almost all of them and have been promised they will be returned. If so, great. If not, that's fine, too. Still need a new chain saw, though.