• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Modern Comic Grail?
2 2

323 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I lucked into a copy of Thorn: Tales From the Lantern last August on eBay -you could fit just about three GSXM1 into the Thorn book. It's a bit smaller than a regular TPB, but bigger than a traditional paperback. I'm not sure how you could create a fake for it - the copy I have looks like it would be difficult to counterfeit. I can post pics tomorrow if it would help.

Precisely. I'm at a loss as well as to how it could be effectively counterfeited.

How many pages does it have?

Hey Everyone,

I lucked into a copy of Thorn: Tales From the Lantern last August on eBay -you could fit just about three GSXM1 into the Thorn book. It's a bit smaller than a regular TPB, but bigger than a traditional paperback. I'm not sure how you could create a fake for it - the copy I have looks like it would be difficult to counterfeit. I can post pics tomorrow if it would help.

Is it the high or lower grade copy?

There are 174 pages in the Thorn book. William, the copy I have is pretty high grade, but I don't think it's the same one you're thinking of - mine doesn't have the Smith signature and sketch. The guy who listed the one I purchased didn't include any pics in the listing.

Thorncover_zpsgiticej5.jpg

Thorntitle2_zpszikumxk4.jpg

Thornlastpage_zpsjp4ol8od.jpg

So, many great books in this thread!

The SiP #1 9.8 are super cool. I managed to get an 8.0 that I used for Sig Series for Terry Moore, when he was here at Bedrock City last year.

I'll have to give this some thought.

The Greatest American Hero Ashcan Comic Book #nn CGC SS 9.4
Getting a cgc book in any grade was a grail of mine of both sigs cgc'd from Greatest American hero.
Robert Culp (passed away in Mar 24, 2010)  --Bill Maxwell  
William Katt                                                        --Ralph Hinkley
s-l1600_zpsayux2yaf.jpg

There are only 2 been cgc'd and both signature series.but I have no idea if both Robert Culp and William Katt signed the other.

I grew up watching Greatest American hero and still watch the whole series every so often on dvd .

15 hours ago, Insanity said:

this is prolly my biggest grail comic at the moment

IMG_20170415_103910.thumb.jpg.39aac2b7eec91ed0de8cb052f2a9ba6b.jpg

I bought this book for my brother for his birthday one year really cheap before it exploded. I wish I had bought it for myself now. He still has it and it's in really high grade. I kind of want to get it slabbed for him. 

My modern grail is a 9.8 copy of Strangers in Paradise #1 first print. I'm still hunting for a copy at the moment. 

That I own...Probably Dark Knight Returns 1 signed by Frank Miller (waiting on the grade). I just got it at C2E2... hoping it comes back a 9.8 or 9.6.  Also Sandman 1 9.8.

But the one I want the most is TMNT #1 in at least a 9.0.  I think a 9.8 is out my range but maybe a 9.4 or 9.0.  

After that probably Preacher 1 in a 9.8 signed by Ennis and Dillon.

Saga 1 signed in 9.8 signed by Vaughn and staples

walking dead 1 9.8 signed by Kirkman

My grail was Carnage USA #1 Ramos variant in "9.8". I think the last time I checked there were 8 on the CGC registry in "9.8" and only one or two more in graded condition.

I looked and looked for ages and could only ever find it raw and for $100 to $150 upwards. I eventually saw one (CGC 9.8) on eBay for auction and hardly anyone had bid on it. I though this will sell for a couple of hundred at least and put in a bid of $105 just for a laugh. A few days later turns out that I won the auction. I can't tell you how happy I was. Turns out though that it isn't really a grail comic for anyone else but me. Hahahahahaha.

I'm OK with that though because I own what is a grail to me :) 

11 hours ago, Chipewah said:

My grail was Carnage USA #1 Ramos variant in "9.8". I think the last time I checked there were 8 on the CGC registry in "9.8" and only one or two more in graded condition.

I looked and looked for ages and could only ever find it raw and for $100 to $150 upwards. I eventually saw one (CGC 9.8) on eBay for auction and hardly anyone had bid on it. I though this will sell for a couple of hundred at least and put in a bid of $105 just for a laugh. A few days later turns out that I won the auction. I can't tell you how happy I was. Turns out though that it isn't really a grail comic for anyone else but me. Hahahahahaha.

I'm OK with that though because I own what is a grail to me :) 

This.  Congrats man!

Jerome

On 7/23/2017 at 9:17 PM, Lethal_Collector said:

Just acquired a Superman/Batman #4 German Turner Supergirl Variant CGC 9.8 from the 'bay this evening, no other bidders, woo!

Jerome

You're lucky I had just got done paying a lot of bills last weekend... That is my modern grail... You definitely would have had some competition lol... couldn't believe no one else bid... Glad it went to you though bud... 

Thanks guys, I was utterly shocked to say the least.  Almost as shocked when it arrived damaged.  There's a long crack along the back of the slab, doesn't seem to affect the book, but this keeps happening to me this year.  This is the 3rd one and NONE of the shippers are to blame as the books have all been super well packed.  SMH @ USPS.  Seller offered a partial refund to reholder it so it'll be a while before I can add it to my sig line.

Jerome

2 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Thanks guys, I was utterly shocked to say the least.  Almost as shocked when it arrived damaged.  There's a long crack along the back of the slab, doesn't seem to affect the book, but this keeps happening to me this year.  This is the 3rd one and NONE of the shippers are to blame as the books have all been super well packed.  SMH @ USPS.  Seller offered a partial refund to reholder it so it'll be a while before I can add it to my sig line.

Jerome

Why go through all that hassle... Just send it my way :baiting:lol