• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Graphic Novels/TPBs/Collected Editions/etc - What are your favorites?

47 posts in this topic

Need to know what I should read next. For context, I have read a lot (like a whole lot, just recently finished V for Vendetta, Sandman Omnibuses, League of Extrordinary Gentlemen, Orbiter, Death, Maus and Buffy Seasons 8, 9 and 10-current). But rather than list everything I have read, I am interested in people's to 5 or so graphic novels they have enjoyed - particularly if they are not superhero related (or at least not top tier superheroes).

What are your top 5?

If you're looking for something non-traditional super-hero and off the beaten track a bit might I suggest:

Herobear and the Kid Vol 1 - The Inheritance

Extra points if you have a kid to share it with, or just are one at heart ...or just even were a big fan of Calvin & Hobbes (although that's an unfair comparison for anything)

But well worth your time.

I recently got t the batman unwrapped edition of court of the owls and it was one of my favorite books I have read. Really cool story to view in just the pencils

For others I enjoyed

Batman long halloween

Nowhere men (series was on a long hiatus but is coming back as a book again. Layout of it is fantastic )

Sandman

Manhattan project. I picked that last one simply because the story is so wacky people should read it

I actually read a bunch of trades last year and they were all pretty good. I was trying to get people at work interested like a book club and had some mild success but eventually it fell apart

Concrete- I would see if there's a collected edition of Concrete's earliest stories. Very well written and drawn.

Saga- couldn't put it down.

Stuff of Legend- I loved it!

Watchmen- of course

Starman- by James Robinson/Tony Harris

Silver Age Fantastic Four 38 - 43, Annual 3, 44 - 50

I consider this run, strong continuity throughout, and done at the very peak of Kirby and Lees' powers, to be one of the earliest, and finest, of graphic novels.

Echo by Terry Moore

Daytripper

Stray Bullets

Alias

I figure if I name Watchmen, YTLM, Bone and other well known graphic novels, chances are you've read them. If you haven't read those, those would be first. Well, Daytripper should be first. :cloud9:

Need to know what I should read next. For context, I have read a lot (like a whole lot, just recently finished V for Vendetta, Sandman Omnibuses, League of Extrordinary Gentlemen, Orbiter, Death, Maus and Buffy Seasons 8, 9 and 10-current). But rather than list everything I have read, I am interested in people's to 5 or so graphic novels they have enjoyed - particularly if they are not superhero related (or at least not top tier superheroes).

What are your top 5?

Read Manhattan Projects

1. Cerebus (only the 1st 4 TPBs)

2. Black Dragon (Claremont & Bolton. Completely underrated work)

3. Elektra Assassin

4. Bone

5. Daredevil Man Without Fear (Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson)

6. Preacher

Personally, I would take a pass on Watchmen...its been 30 years and IMHO, it feels very dated.

Box Office Poison

Scalped

Crogan's Adventures by Chris Schweizer. Three books thus far, originally published in black and white but being redone in color. Framing sequence is father telling stories to his to his 11 and 8 (?) year old sons about their ancestors. One story is about a pirate, another is French Foreign Legion and the third is American Revolutionary War. Art takes a little getting used to but I LOVED all three books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crogan+adventures&sprefix=crogan+adventures%2Caps%2C243

- A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories

- The Death of Captain Marvel

- The Incal

- Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Boy on Earth

- Locas / Palomar

Born Again, Daredevil, greatest love story every told. Frank Miller's return was his greatest achievement.

Maus. I've read this through multiple times. Incredible and heartbreaking.

Preacher. My personal favorite, after quitting comics in 93, I was pulled back because of this book.

Batman The Dark Knight Returns. Bats has all the answers.

Manhattan Projects. MIND BLOWING.

Jay