• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Grade or Hard to Find?

High Grade or Hard to Find  

189 members have voted

1. 1. High Grade or Hard to Find

19 posts in this topic

What gets your collector high going more, picking up high grade copies of books that aren't that tough in lower grades, or finding stuff you've been looking a long time for, with less regard for actual condition (meaning you may still have a minimum acceptable grade, but it's probably lower than you'd like, and finding any decent copy or even any at all is tough).

For the most part I'm perfectly happy with a lower grade book that's difficult to find so long as it's got a cover and the pages are in reasonable shape. Later than mid 70's I'd like a book in nicer condition, but then there are few that are hard to find from that point onward.

Hard to find and high grade. I like a challenge.

Many of the books I'm currently interested in aren't mainstream or hyped up price-wise by film speculation, though.

I like going to yard sells and finding a box of comics and buying them blind. That away when I get them home and start looking at them I am really happy when I find that gem. Also swap meets are awesome for finding early silver and golden age comics for next to nothing. I am talking like 25 cents a comic at a swap meet. Best place to make some money.

I'll take HTF all day long. Something pretty cool about owning a book that most collectors don't have...

I once learned this lesson the hard way. About 5-6 years ago, I was at a small show back east. A dealer had some Timelys & I was interested. He had a Cap Weird Tales 74 (~3.0) for $300. He tried to steer me towards the Cap, but ultimately I opted for a higher grade Marvel Mystery for the same price. The MM is a nice book, but to say I'm kicking myself for passing on that one would be an understatement.

Edited by THEUSUSALONE

On August 11, 2015 at 11:24 PM, oakman29 said:

High grade is for speculating suckers. :whistle:

This. I'll give a rat's patootie (as a buyer) about 9.6 vs 9.8 when I start seeing 6.8, 5.4 etc. showing up in slabs. I collect comics; the better the grade it's in, the better, sure. Who doesn't prefer them as nice as possible? But I collect comics first, and in best possible grade second. To me, if the book is not inherently important, or for some content-based reason of interest to me, then a high-grade copy is just kind of, "Gee whiz, that's neat."

31 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

This. I'll give a rat's patootie (as a buyer) about 9.6 vs 9.8 when I start seeing 6.8, 5.4 etc. showing up in slabs. I collect comics; the better the grade it's in, the better, sure. Who doesn't prefer them as nice as possible? But I collect comics first, and in best possible grade second. To me, if the book is not inherently important, or for some content-based reason of interest to me, then a high-grade copy is just kind of, "Gee whiz, that's neat."

I've got 8.5's that look like 9.6's, and 9.6's that look like 8.5's. It's really just a carp shoot, so why pay a premium for it. I would rather have a well presenting 8.5\9.0 anyway.

Edited by oakman29

My comic interests are all over the map, with different grade desires for each area. For instance, I recently grabbed an issue of What if? Planet Hulk #1 because I think Skaar is a cool character. The comic is only ten years old. I wanted it in NM+ condition and that's what I found.

I also collect a subset of Harvey/Richie Rich comics from the seventies. I want these in at least VF/NM or better because every time I see them they unlock a treasure trove of childhood memories and I like them to look as if I just grabbed them off the comic rack (I doubt many books on the spinner rack were NM+ the way we would spin that thing and fight over them).

Finally, I have recently got into collecting Graham "Ghastly" Ingels Haunt of Fear covers. While I want these to be decently centered and hopefully clean of writing/marks, I actually prefer them to be down in the VG/FN range. The creases and folds to me are like a fine patina, reminders of an age when comics were bought to be read, not encased in acrylic, and when I look at them I can almost picture a kid in the fifties poring over the pages beneath his sheets with an Eveready flashlight, scared out of his wits!