• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1975 Neal Adams Batman

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a MiamiCon Program signed and this image was included on a separate sheet of paper that was not part of the program. I am having trouble determining if it is an original sketch by Adams or whether it is a print. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

IMG_4652.jpg

Looking more closely, the images aren't exact - either it was edited after his original pencil/ink, or it's a reproduction of some kind...

My Original response:

It's a print - I believe it's an image out of Batman #251

greatbatman05.jpg

From what I have seen printed inks are slightly more reflective when held at an angle to the light compared to the types of inks that artists use which absorb the light more.

The Batman sketch or print does not appear in this example of the program or any other that I did a quick search for. http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=208&ItemNo=120711

You could scan it and then do a google or tineye reverse image search to see if you get any exact matches. It's an image that Adams has redrawn/sketched quite a few times... without seeing it first hand I'm on the fence. 2c

I can see white out on the right of the piece under the first and second heavy black line of the cape. I would think you should be able to feel it. or from the back it should look like a dark line. iam not sure if white out would show up on a print unless it was lazer scanned. I really don't buy prints so not sure.

larry ;]

The lines at the bottom look a little washed out to me which make me think it's a print. It's also an image I think I've seen elsewhere - and not just printed in the a comic. Could be that print was hand-signed, but the rest is a copy. Hard to tell from a JPG.

Thanks for the input. While following your insight, I was able to look closely and there are some stray pencil marks that did not get drawn over to the right of Batman's head. I do not see the whiteout but I am in agreement that this page was not part of the program and I could not find the image anywhere online. I am not sure how to scan the image in and search but I will try. Thanks again. If it is real, anyone have thoughts on how much a vintage 1975 Adams Batman sketch would go for? Thanks

Heritage had two recent auctions for Neal Adams Batman sketches...one was undated & just a torso drawing that sold for $1,200 including the BP (lot number 93403 in the May Signature Auction); the other was a dated 1971, full body drawing that sold for $4,100 with the BP (lot number 91030 in the February auction). I hope this helps...if it is real, that's a great find.