• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VALERIAN starring Clive Owen, Cara Delavingne (2017)

47 posts in this topic

xGdPAFal.jpg

French filmmaker Luc Besson is set to embark on his newest sci-fi adventure film and plans to take Clive Owen with him.

P5j7jub.png

Owen will be joining Cara Delavingne (Paper Towns) and Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2) for Besson’s Valerian, based on the French comic book series from Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières. The actor will be playing Commander Arün Filitt, who will be one of only five major human characters in the film.

According to Deadline, Besson’s new film will be a large undertaking, as the storyboards for Valerian contain new and imaginative worlds filled with alien species that look like “Star Wars meets Blade Runner meets Besson’s The Fifth Element.” The director revealed his storyboards to a handful of reporters during Comic-Con, but withheld information about the film’s plot. What is known is that to create all the visual worlds of Valerian, Besson is clearing out his Paris studio to use all of his soundstages for the film.

Besson’s storyboards follow along with the visual element of the Valerian and Laureline comic books, a series that has ran from 1967 until its final installment in 2010. The series follows the titular duo as they travel through time and space. Noted for their humor and political ideas, the series has been majorily influential in the world of science fiction and its influence can be seen in movies like Star Wars and Avatar.

Besson's FIFTH ELEMENT is still one of my favorites.

:whee:

Luc can be very hit or miss, lets hope this one skews more to the hit side.

That is good to know, versus assuming Fifth Element was the consistent experience.

:wishluck:

Still waiting on that sequel. :(

Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets begins production

Luc Besson, the filmmaker known for bringing to life LEON and THE FIFTH ELEMENT, is returning to to the realm of Sci-Fi with an adaption of the French comic, "Valerian and Laureline." Principle photography has begun in Paris on VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS. The story follows special operatives for the government of human territories, Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline (Cara Delevingne), who are charged with maintaining order throughout the universe. The film also stars Clive Owen, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Herbie Hancock and Kris Wu, and is aiming for a theatrical release on July 21, 2017.

:ohnoez:

Luc Besson releases the 1st official image of his sci-fi epic Valerian

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS, based on the Valerian and Laureline comics, will follows a spatio-temporal agent and his companion as they travel the universe through space and time. Luc Besson has been pretty active on social media, uploading behind-the-scenes pictures of his cast and crew. Now he's released the first official image of the film featuring Dane DeHaan's Valerian and Cara Delevingne's Laureline (with director Luc Besson in the background).

valerian-fimage-01-small.jpg

Valerian Wraps Filming; Luc Besson Thanks Fans

After 91 days of filming, we’re over a year away from the premiere of Luc Besson’s sci-fi epic, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. The veteran director announced the end of principal photography by sharing a photo of Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2) and Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad) in front of the camera to his Instagram. In an age where filmmakers are famously protective of the secrets on their sets, Besson’s generosity on social media has given fans a unique glimpse into the production of his latest film.

c4EFGrA.jpg

It's sounding like the few scenes he did show were a big hit.

Comic-Con 2016: Valerian footage gets standing ovation

Luc Besson got an enthusiastic Hall H standing ovation — and an Inkpot Award! — after previewing a few scenes from next year’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets at San Diego Comic-Con. Unbelievably, it was Besson’s first time to Comic-Con — though the audience made it clear that his previous film such as The Professional and The Fifth Element are ones kept near and dear to the community.

It’s films such as those that led to him being was surprised onstage with the Inkpot Award, which he kept on the podium, telling the audience: “Can I make a deal with you? If you don’t mind, I’m going to put it here and after I show you [the footage], if you still think I deserve it I’ll take it.”

The film only wrapped five weeks ago — it will be in theaters July 21, 2017 — and stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne, who play space-traveling duo Valerian and Laureline. The source material comes from the French comic book first published in 1967 that’s inspired both Star Wars and Avatar. Besson says he fell in love with the comic and characters since the age of 10, and has been wanting to make a film version pretty much since then.

Exclusive: ‘Valerian’ Director Luc Besson on Bringing His Dream Project to the Big Screen

valerian-dane-dehaan-luc-besson-cara-delevingne-slice-600x200.jpg

What do you envision the best way to watch this movie? Do you have a preferred format that you would like people to see this film in?

BESSON: Honestly, my concern 99% is about the storytelling, the emotion and all this. I never think about the format of anything until way far in the process and when we arrive to the fabrication of the thing then we start to say, “Okay right, what is the best thing we can do.” I choose the car before to choose the color.

I completely get it. We’ve talked before but there’s are going to be people who read this interview who might not realize you have been passionate about this material for an extremely long time. So talk a little bit about when you first got involved, you know falling in love with this material and what is it about this material that really speaks to you.

BESSON: First I’m 10 years old when I read the first comic book and at 10 years old it’s in the comic every week on Wednesday and they have only two pages every Wednesday. So I have to wait six days to have the new episode. I mean the young people today they click on the Internet they have all the information in the world. I have to wait for a week to have two more pages and I think it’s part of the love also. Because for six days you just dream about it. The first woman I fell in love with was probably Laureline. She was totally free and badass and it was a very modern heroine at the time and I was totally in love with her. The guy was also very cool. He’s a little bit pretentious. He always thinks he’s the best in all this. She’s here to say, “Eh, chill.” So I love the relationship since the beginning and that’s what drives me more than spaceship monsters and all this. It was the relationship of the two. It’s really Mr. and Mrs. Smith in space, you know they’re joking, fighting. So that’s what drive me since I’m young is that I love this team. Because they’re cops, super cops, they travel in the space and time but they’re fighting all the time, they’re so human.

Valerian Trailer Is Coming In 5 Days, Sneak Peek Released

At the start of November, filmmaker Luc Besson let be known that the first trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, his feature film adaptation of Jean-Claude Mezieres and Pierre Christin’s Valerian and Laureline comic book series, will be released this month. Today, with five days to go until the trailer is released, a new snippet of footage has been released.

It features Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2) and Cara Delevingne (Suicide Squad) in their furistic outfits walking through an automatic sliding door. Yup, that's it.

9VUIDbR.png